Thread: Wow, disaster averted - kinda

Wow, disaster averted - kinda

I was putting a new 128 meg stick of RAM in a computer here at work. Powered up and got that smell we all know - fried electronics. I then took out the new stick and tried to power up with just the old stick. No go. I then find out that I fried the Power Supply! So, I put in a new power supply, new stick of RAM (in a different slot because the one I used was MELTED!) and pray it boots up. The whole time I am crossing my fingers that the motherboard is still good. Well, lucky me, I ended up "only" frying the power supply and one DIMM, but not the motherboard.
    Boy, I got skills!!!

gald to hear your PC is ok but just curious how did you fry it?

Originally posted by davy19
    gald to hear your PC is ok but just curious how did you fry it?
    no kidding how did you fry the ram slot?

i think it was luck you did not fry anything else.

Well, it wasn't my computer, it was another person's here at work.

I would assume that the RAM just wasn't seated propery. I swear I checked it, and it was locked into place. If you do not get your RAM seated properly, you can get a cross between two of the pins on the chip. OR, it may have something to do with the computer being about 4 years old (P350, OCed to 400, and other various hacked together parts) and it might have had a bad DIMM in the first place.

Anyway, it is fairly uncommon to fry a power supply doing this (and saving the motherboard).
    Last edited by Dunster; 11-08-01 at 01:37 PM.

Oh, I forgot to add that the RAM was from CompUSA (PNY brand). That may have contributed to the problem. I wanted to get Crucial RAM, but management said we have an account with CompUSA and need to use them.

By the way, I put 17 other sticks of the stuff in other computers without a problem. The 18 and final stick was the one that fried!

i have a stick of compusa PNY ram, its actually not bad 128megs PC133 cas 2, but thats really odd, maybe there was a piece of somtething that got in the dimm or somethign i dunno lol

Advanced Member NuclearHeadache's Avatar
    The problems will arise
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Western Digital
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Isaiah 2:10

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!