Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comments re: Windows XP Tweaks

SG Enthusiast

Comments re: Windows XP Tweaks

This thread is for comments, experiences and suggestions concerning Windows XP tweaks, as outlined in the thread above.

Kip

The system tweaks have definitely made my Windows XP life much easier, and faster. Great tweaks if you ask me.

NIC Buffer tweaks on the other hand, made me slower... much slower. But those are just my experiences (being honest)

It could work differently on anyone.
    Last edited by EvilAjax; 10-31-01 at 08:24 AM.
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Right now there are so many OS's out there like XP, you have RC1, RC2, RTM (Released to manufacturing) , upgrade version, plus the Warez version, so it is all new to alot of us, in XP I use DeafaultRecieveWindow of 51000 or 64240 as it is alittle faster, I still recommend you put RWIN in 3 places as per SG's instructions, but you can play and find out what works best for you and your setup. I do not feel comfortable with all the OS's out there to give out NIC buffer sizes, please try different setting's and choose the fastest for your OS and connection, Cablenut seems to have fast number for small RWIN's, but some are still blank, some times blank (Default sizes are best) again just try if you wish and find numbers that make your connection faster, I have tried and tried for 4 days to come up with numbers that would work with all these and
    couldn't. The DefaultRecieveWindow on XP and W2k are up to you,
    if they work fine, if not put back in your TCP Window Size
    Last edited by Lobo; 10-31-01 at 10:02 AM.

Hiya guys!

Right now the only thing I changed on my EL cheapo win xp is the Rwin and maxconnections etc.

It seems like XP is already fast even with default settings.

Carla

P.S. My WinXP is pretty slow on shutting down =( weird
    Last edited by Carla C; 10-31-01 at 10:30 AM.
    System spec:
    Win XP SP1, P3-700mhz, 384ram, ADSL PPPOE 1500/256 - RWIN = 64240

Mine seems to be pretty fast as it is without any tweaks...will probably try a couple of the tweaks to see if there are any improvements...on the whole though, XP seems to run faster than the previous incarnations of windows...
    It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play

I have the final version of XP Pro (no tweaks) and the first time I went on the internet I noticed a major speed increase over Win 98SE with tweaks. I have since applied the IRQ tweak and the delete of the "D" line tweak in the registry. I have no idea what the speed is in numbers, but it seems real fast (but I'm thinking about tweakXP)...just not sure

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    No to Tweak XP, checkbook stuff, go to some of the sites in my XP tweaks and get FREE programs

ok so what is the major diferences between RC1, RC2, RTM , the upgrade, and the Warez versions and does the diferences make that much of a diference in the tweeks you use?

FYI im going to upgrade from win98 to the XP pro corp vers. next week once i get my new hard driveyaaaaaaaaa
    knowledge is the first key to wisdom

RC1 and RC2 have unfixed bugs that may affect you. Whether as the final retail version, it may not have as many, although it does have some.
    Live to chase your dream...

Adramalech
    Hi..

After I installed WindowsXP I noticed a significant increase in speed for web and the usual like.. however as I am an Online Game nut. I have now noticed a significant LAG increase whilst in game..

And so I am a little alarmed as to what exactly XP is doing.. I have a collegue who has exactly the same hardware and isp only he's still using Win98SE and his ping was pretty good around 70 odd whilst ingame where as mine was in the regions of 300 odd.. which isn't..

And so are there any online gamers in this situation using DSL and XP? and will these changes sort this problem out does anyone know?

Hiya,

I play a lot of online games as well. XP did not change my ping times at all

Carla
    System spec:
    Win XP SP1, P3-700mhz, 384ram, ADSL PPPOE 1500/256 - RWIN = 64240

OldSurferJoe

Thumbs up XP and Pegasus Express

Hi I am running XP and have Pegasus Express Sat. Works ok! They are clearly in fix mode (Beta) with this system! Donít buy if you are impatient! It is unstable and is down or slow more than it is up! I run have run the standard tweaks and am not sure if it helped, but it is hard to tell because you are competing with the Sat system itself (I am running the stock at the moment). One really important tweak and this is why I am writing this - is for USB modems which Pegasus is. Assigning more memory to the IRQ for my modem significantly improves performance. My setting is for IRQ 11 (I think) and I set it in the system.ini under and at the end of [386enh] is IRQ11=16348. I am not really an expert with tweaking so here are my questions:

How do you determine which IRQ your modem is assigned to under XP? Under XP IRQ assignments and sharing appear to have been improved, but you canít see what USB controller the modem is on Ė thus you canít see what IRQ it is on.

Where do I edit the Rwin=37440 Ė where do I put it? I know this maybe obvious, but I am missing it.

Are there any other suggestions or comments!

Right know I get 160k down and 38k up regularly and sometimes 1400K/130K (Rarely). Suppose to be 480K/180K (as advertised)

vlozity

XP and PPPOE connections ...

I've had problems changing my MTU value in XP with a PPPOE connection type. CableNut says that XP defaults to 1480 regardless of changes made. Anyone know of a fix???

OldSurferJoe

Question Me Too!

I applied both tweaks for 2000, but when you run analyzer it still seems to see only the default value - where to tweak??

Another issue I was having is with WinFax 10.2 - got a message from Microsoft about problem and was told to disable several *.dll's that seemed to help. The problem had to do specifically with outlook, but it seems to have affect browsing as well.

Still would like to know how to isolate IRQ in XP - in 2000 it was easy the resources showed up in properties, not so in XP. I have tried setting IRQ's with IRQ#=4096 but this does little it you do not know the speciific IRQ. It appears to need two - one for the controller and one for the port itself. In 2000 I had IRQ11 set to IRQ11=16384 this significantly increased preformance. XP seems to share the IRQ's more across the board!

Lobo's tweaks seem to disable to many things - tried some, but they seem to disable things that provide the critical functions - the reason for XP!

Interested in comments???!!!

IRQ11=16384 LMAO Are you serious?
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

OldSurferJoe

Yes!

The performance increase was significant! Remember I am using a USB SAT 2Way system!

Still wish someone would answer the questions!
    Last edited by OldSurferJoe; 11-12-01 at 11:42 AM.

Adramalech
    Carla, do you have DSL and XP? as I am finding some grief with ping loss and latency after I upgraded to XP and using DSL..

My DSL modem is one of the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB fellas..

I am at this point wondering if its drivers..

Quiet Storm
    i started my computer with XP and just got cable. it was damn fast, i could download at 400k/second. only thing was it wasnt good enough for me, i dont know what was running through my head but i messed around with all the settings and applied a patch that was for Me or NT4 or something nad messed up everythin,g now the max speed i get is like 6kb/second. anyone able to help or give me a patch thatll set all the settings back to default?

Follow directions on help thread below

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Originally posted by Quiet Storm
    i started my computer with XP and just got cable. it was damn fast, i could download at 400k/second. only thing was it wasnt good enough for me, i dont know what was running through my head but i messed around with all the settings and applied a patch that was for Me or NT4 or something nad messed up everythin,g now the max speed i get is like 6kb/second. anyone able to help or give me a patch thatll set all the settings back to default?

Download the correct default patch for your Operating System.

http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_mode..._patches.shtml

Lobo, read his post before you respond so you know what hes asking for.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB