Thread: Hard Drive Upgrade

Hard Drive Upgrade

I have a Laptop Compaq Presario 1800T (466 Mhz Celeron, 320 MB RAM, 4.8 GB HD). I would like to upgrade my hard drive. Is it ok to use a 20 GB IMB Travelstar or a 20 GB Fujitsu MHM2200AT (they are both for laptop computer) and if so, which one is better?

Ones I have replaced the hard drive, will it be detected on its own or do I need to do something? I've heared that the bios can only detect 8GB hard drives. So if I go over that I have to run EZ Drive to trick the bios, but doesn't Windows Me do the work when I install it?

Please advise. THANKS!

This is mostly a ^bump^ because I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to laptops.

I would go with the IBM drive due to the fact they are a more established company and I've had lots of success with their drives.

The deal with the laptop not taking a hard drive over 8 gigabytes is avoided by using a drive overlay (such as EZ Drive). The problem lies within the BIOS and sometimes you can get a BIOS upgrade that will allow you to use a bigger drive. If not, you can use a drive overlay program to fool the BIOS. A drive overlay works inbetween the hardware and software levels so WindowsME will not help you out here. Drive overlay software is usually installed from a bootable floppy.

I havn't seen many laptop discussions here so I don't know who you could ask for more info about this.
    What's the most expensive purchase you've made on your miles/reward credit card? Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Application