Thread: Xp Rumor?

Xp Rumor?

Is it true that when and if you have five hardware changes, you will need to call Microsoft for a new key? What if your having problems and you have to reinstall? Let me know.

Thanks!

i think thats office xp
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    No, that's winXP too. At first, it was thought that you would have to call more often. However, microsoft made the policy easier by allowing around 5 or 6 hardware changes. They claim it will be easy and the wait will be short. Plus, they also claim they will lean more towards believing whatever the customer claims; and usually give the new key without contest. This is to prevent you from installing it to another computer.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Don't worry about it. Install it and enjoy. Yes you have to get the Home version or the Pro version activated. The Corp Pro is different .

As to can you upgrade? Yes. The big change from what I read, is if you add or change a NIC card. Still, it won't just quit running. You'll have a grace period to do the activation all over again.

I agree downhill, I hope I didnt sound too harsh in my opinion on the issue. I think given the rate of illegal use, you can hardly blame them. I think they chose one of the easiest ways they could have, dealing with it.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I believe the magic number is 4 critical components before activation kicks in again. That's 4 individual components. Try a motherboard though....which consists of many different components....and you're still in for a call.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Would a reformat solve the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Actually if you check around you will find that there is a "time" limit........if you don't exceed the number of changes with in a cetain amount of time XP will "reset" itself and start counting all over........

I'll see if I can find the source of that.......saw it on one of the XP/M$ sites

L.

From iexbeta board.......
    Here is the answers:

6 hardware changes causes re-activation, but if you change 5 or less no activation. If you dont want to have to re-activate, then you change 5 hardware, and then wait 120 days before the timer will reset for you to be able to change another set of 5. "6" is the Key number to cause re-activation.

Also, not included in this rule is your motherboard, your NIC card (If you have broadband, or run a network. Chnge either, and you will have to automatically re-activate XP. Also not applying to this rule is the Main Hard Drive that XP is installed in, If you change the HD you will be required to re-activate.

How many times can you re-activate, endless as far as MS says, as long as your hardware doesnt change, and its a re-format of the system, then you will have no trouble in activation.

File that contains the Info is "wpa.dbl" and if your hardware doesnt change, I think MS has removed that feature where you could keep a copy of the wpa.dbl file to avoid activation, At least since RC2 that hasnt been done.
    Last edited by LukeMan; 10-29-01 at 11:38 PM.
    They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake".

Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

How does Microsoft track what computer the OS is on?

If the file that checks for system changes is stored locally on your computer (say computer #1) and you change it however you want (within the limits pointed out above) what is stopping you from installing it on Computer #2? The changes made on each computer would be stored on each computer.

I'm missing how MS is gathering all this info and keeping track of your computers.....

Anyone??
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

I might be wrong, but your computer has to contact microsoft in some way. Either you can use your modem or nic; or if you dont have a internet connection you can call in and they'll give you an activitation number.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)

think this covers it......

here

MS support

L.
    They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake".

Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991