Thread: HELP!!!! Stupid #$@* monitor, or video card or operator!

mechanic66

Angry HELP!!!! Stupid #$@* monitor, or video card or operator!

I finally got my system kinda working and now I'm running into a video card problem. I'm running Win98; T-bird 900; Asus A7V and a Radeon 32mb DDR video card. When I booted my system for the first time Windows recognized new hardware (my video card) and allowed me to load the drivers. I ran into lots of DDWinhelp.exe errors so decided to get the latest drivers off ATi's site. I downloaded them, uninstalled the old drivers, and tried to install the new ones. I got an error message saying the install wouldn't work and I should try to set the Video adaptor to a Std VGA. It wouldn't let me so I re-booted. The system posted and ran through most of the boot, I got the Win 98 screen and then the monitored powered down but the boot continued. This happened several times. I am able to install other older video cards, some POS that came with the system and my old Diamond Viper V550 and I can get to the desktop (Windows recognizes that there is new hardware). But everytime I reinstall the Radeon just before the desktop the monitor powers down. I tried, with an old video card, to reinstall the new Radeon drivers but I keep getting an error message about the Video adaptor. I'm pissed and clueless. Windows won't recognize the Radeon as new hardware. WTF do I do????

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

A few things

Havey ou installed the Via 4in1's? They are vital to stable performance with any via based chipset. Another thing, it sounds like you have a corrupted version of Win98, is this a fresh installation of it or a "transplant"?(Meaning you tried to use it from a previous system, with different components)
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'd reboot into safe mode, remove all video drivers. Un-install all drivers you have listed in Programs, in case you had any old ones. Reboot, let a video card think it's loading, cancel out. Make it PCI Standard VGA. Reboot....then change adapter type to your ATI...pointing it to the directory where you unzipped your latest drivers.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

mechanic66
    VIA 4 in Whats???? DOH!!!!!!

******* ----------------------------> me

Well, I guess I'll try that. It was a fresh install however, and it will be again by tonight