Thread: Printer Problems

SG Enthusiast

Printer Problems

I recently upgraded to Windows XP and am having problems with my HP Deskjet 712C printer. Anytime I attempt to print a page nothing happens. The print request just sits in queue with status reading printing. I have uninstalled and re-installed the driver to no avail. Other than my CDRW drive, my printer is the only other piece of hardware experiencing issues.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    HP being often slow for driver updates, I notice they have not upgraded their downloadable drivers for WinXP, they just have a section that tells you to use big Bills driver built into XP. So much for the common cure all of hitting your hardwares website and downloading the latest driver.

Sometimes what has worked for me is to go into Device Mangler, remove your LPT port, reboot, and let Plug 'n Play load a fresh printer port driver. This has cured quite a few print troubleshooting jobs for me....worth a few seconds of time for ya to try it.

Assuming this printer worked fine prior to XP?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    Thanks for the suggestion, I had tried removing the port but that was no help either. Just scrubbed my hard drive and did a fresh install rather than an upgrade. Hopefuly that will fix the problem.

Weird...I run three HP printers on my network and all three had updated XP drivers at hp.com drivers as of Friday when I checked for them: I run the 970, 990 and Photosmart 1218.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

SG Enthusiast
    Went to MS Newsgroups and found a fix. Had to go into the bios and change the setting for the parallel port from ecp to epp. Restarted and windows detected the printer and installed the driver for it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by BlueJetta
    Weird...I run three HP printers on my network and all three had updated XP drivers at hp.com drivers as of Friday when I checked for them: I run the 970, 990 and Photosmart 1218.
    I just checked for his 712C printer....didn't check the others.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by BlueJetta

The drivers of HP 970cxi for win2k is not good enough for XP ?