Thread: zone alarm uninstall probs

zone alarm uninstall probs

hello all,seem to have prob for uninstall of zone alarm(free version).no internet after uninstall even if no delete any shared files during uninstall.
    This is definitely the cause of no internet,cause all is fine before and no connect after.So,for now im stuck,had to reinstall to keep
    internet connect.Im hoping this is old news to some who can help here.
    Nothing against this proggy,but id like to remove it.
    win98se
    1.0Ghz AMD
    576mb ram
    Excalibur GF2mx64mb video card
    Adelphia cable

All Products | Support | Search | microsoft.com Home

Support Home | Find a Solution | Request Support | Custom Support |

All Products | Support | Search | Microsoft.com Guide Home | Find a Solution | Request Support | Custom Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Downloads
    MS Product Catalog
    Microsoft Accessibility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Servers
    Developer Tools
    Office
    Windows
    MSN

Knowledge Base
    Product Support Options
    Service Partner Referrals

Search Microsoft.com
    MSN Web Search

Microsoft.com Home
    MSN Home

Contact Us
    Events
    Newsletters
    Profile Center
    Training & Certification
    Free E-mail Account

Support Home
    microsoft.com

Search Knowledge Base
    Search Wizard
    FAQs by Product
    Find Software Downloads
    Newsgroups

Get Help From Microsoft
    Check Status of Your Pending Question
    Call Microsoft Support
    Cannot Browse the Internet After You Uninstall ZoneAlarm

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98
    Microsoft Windows 95

SYMPTOMS
    After you uninstall ZoneAlarm by Zone Labs, Inc., you may be unable to browse the Internet with Microsoft Internet Explorer or America Online.

You may also receive an error message similar to one of the following error messages when you start your computer:

Invalid vxd dynamic link call from vsdata95 (01) + xxxxxx device xxxx: service xxxx. Your windows configuration is invalid. Run win95 setup program again to solve problem. To continue running windows press y or enter. To quit current program press n. If you continue your system may become unstable

Fatal Exception OE 06 at 0028: xxxxxxxx. Current application will be terminated. Press any key to continue

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if ZoneAlarm is not completely uninstalled.

RESOLUTION
    To manually uninstall ZoneAlarm, follow the instructions on the following Zone Labs, Inc., Web site:

http://www.zonelabs.com/services/sup..._install.htm#1

Uninstallation Step 1.

If you want to uninstall ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro, first run the Uninstaller program: click on the Start menu|Programs|Zone Labs|Uninstall ZoneAlarm (or Uninstall ZoneAlarm Pro). The uninstaller will guide you through the process; answer "Yes" to any files it prompts you to delete.

A. To make sure that you can see any ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro system files still on your computer:

- i. Right-click on Start, then left-click on "Explore."
    - ii. When the Windows Explorer panel appears, click "View," then "Folder Options."
    - iii. Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show all files" radio button.
    - iv. Click "OK."

B. Verify that the following have been removed:

- Directories:

1) Zone Labs from C:\Program Files
    2) zonelabs from C:\Windows\System
    3) Zone Labs from C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

- Files:

1) C:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll
    2) C:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd
    3) C:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll
    4) C:\Windows\System\vsnetutils.dll
    5) C:\Windows\System\vspubapi.dll
    6) C:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll
    7) C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zapro
    8) C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zapro
    9) C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zonealarm
    10) C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zonealarm

NOTE: Please verify that none of the files listed above remain in the directory C:\Windows\Temp.

- Uninstallation Step 2.
    Rename the directory "C:\Windows\Internet Logs" (for example, "Internet Logs1").

- Uninstallation Step 3.
    Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty.

- Uninstallation Step 4.
    It is not generally necessary to remove registry entries if reinstalling ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro. However, should you choose to do so, the following registry entries aree associated with ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro:

Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious problems to your operating system (OS) which may necessitate the need to reinstall the OS. Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, type "regedit.exe" from a command prompt. Click "Help," then "Help Topic." Click "Changing Keys and Values."

Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.

To enter the registry, go to Start/Run and type: "regedit." Use Control-F to find and F3 to Find Next.

Registry Entries:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs and all its subkeys and values
    - Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ZoneAlarm Pro

These registry items start the services required for ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    - Value: MiniLog and Value: TrueVector
    - Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VSDATA95

This is a database that contains a long list of values, but only these values are related to ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro and TrueVector:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
    - Values:

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\tutorwiz.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd
    C:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsnetutils.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsnetu.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vspubapi.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\html.tdr
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsdb.dll
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\minilog.exe
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsmon.exe
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsruledb.dll

For each user who has run ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro, there are registry keys in

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs

The following keys allow the user to modify the sound that is played when there is an alert through use of the Control Panel Sounds applet:

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\InternetAlert
    - Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\InternetAlert\.current

The following keys tell Windows the ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro Desk Band is a part of the application:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{long string of characters}\InprocServer32 (NOTE: The string of characters will vary from system to system.)
    - Value: C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zoneband.dll

The following keys are related to ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro's MailSafe Feature:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

There is a value for the extension of every attachment that ZoneAlarm Pro quarantines (.vbs, for example). To find the values and keys to delete:

1) Click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
    2) Press F3.
    3) Type "zamailsafe" in the search field (no quotes).
    4) Press F3 to find the next value. An example of the value you will see (on the right-hand side of the window) would be: ZAMailSafeExt: REG_SZ: {renamed extension -- zl9, for example)
    5) Delete the value. Press "OK" at the prompt.
    6) Repeat until there are no more values like the example above. ZoneAlarm Pro quarantines 37 extensions by default. However, any additional extentions you may have chosen to quarantine will also be listed in the registry.

There is also a registry key for the extension of every attachment renamed by ZoneAlarm Pro. The names of the keys will range from .zl0 to .zly. If you wish, you can follow the instructions above to find the values associated with these keys. Delete the entire key which contains these values.

For ZoneAlarm (not Pro), The following keys can be removed:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zl0
    - Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

- Uninstallation Step 5.
    Reboot your machine.

- Uninstallation Step 6.
    If you experienced difficulty deleting ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro files or folders, try removing the items mentioned above AFTER following the steps below:

A. Reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt (by pressing either F8 at the beep, or holding the Control key during boot).
    B. You should now be able to remove the files specified above.

re:

Thankyou TonyT,but my gosh,what a hassle.Had no idea it was so involved!On a scale of 1-10 i'd say i'm about a 1 in terms of pc know how.I think i'll just reformat since my os has been acting unstable lately.Just for future reference,are all firewalls a pain to uninstall.I guess it makes sense that a good one would have to be integrated to the os to provide good protection.

mmmm,now if i only knew how to do a complete reinstall of win98se, i'd feel better.I spend about 4 or more hours a day
    trying to absorb the vast knowledge that many in this forum have
    and i feel just as stupid as the first day i decided to buy a pc(about 10 months ago)/thanks again for the info.-if i could relive my childhood i'da wished my folks had gotten me a 'puter,thats for sure.!-knowledge is power,indeed!

Advanced Member
    Steve
    www.zport.com

get reg-cleaner, and remove the zonelab reg entries.

ill email u it if u cant find it.

re:

I've got reg cleaner already,so are you saying if i uninstall,say yes to all prompts,then go back and remove any za or related reg entries,all should be okay?or would i have to remove all the other stuff too.I'm so frustrated now,i could just die from high blood pressure!This being cause tried reinstalling win98 over top as i have done before to fix some other unstable behavior.well,was almost complete,then got blue screen of death.now upon boot keeps telling me insert win98 disc,wants a file,then says cant find it!also in misconfig now show duplicates of several window progs,aaaaaaah!Just shoot me,please.After i chill out i will ask for reinstall help in new thread,i refuse to give up one more red cent to pc shop.!

the problem i had after uninstalling zone alarm, was every time i tried to log on to the net, i got the page can not be displayed msg.

so i used reg-cleaner and after getting rid 3 or 4 entrys i could log on to the net np.

re

this is so fu'd,im laughing mao!i had to reboot after screen lockup trying to reply.hey,but thank you KANO,its all just experimentin now,i'll try that. P.S.-i'm not even blaming ZA for the other probs here,that prog does what its supposed to just dont want it anymore.

re:

thanks again KANO,that did the trick.

Man you seriously need to be carefull when useing any regcleaner... you can really put your self in a bind that way...

Make sure you view all the invalid entires the regcleaner finds and before you do that *BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!*

To back up your registry go to start/run type "regedit" ( without the quotes ) and when regedit opens up make sure that you highlight My computer within the menu ( I say that because in 2k/XP the last regkey you edited will be highlighted and it will only back-up that single key) then go to file/export and name the new regfile todays date ( whatever date it is ) and save it to your documents folder for easy access...

If you should happen to run into problems after runn9ing regclean you can easily go to My Documents and double click on the file you just saved... keep in mind that you should not delete that back-up for at least 1 month... just for precautionary measures..

Hope this helps

-EA
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

re:

Thanks EA but this particular reg cleaner is pretty cool.
    "reg cleaner v4.2 by Jouni Vuorio"It allows you to remove software or program related reg entries,none of the really serious stuff.It also provides a backup of any reg entry removed for easy putback.
    I got it off the now defunct ummmm? Tweak.com?Where i really screwed up was in my ambition to shed any excess system drain I removed (start up)scan registry which i think automatically makes (5)most recent backup copies?.So,now that having probs dont have recent reg backup that might've helped because wasnt manually backing up.I got a question,is there a decent prog for actually finding real probs with ones registry,or does scan reg do a good enough job of that?I guess im askin if a downloaded prog really messed with it is there a way to find out,or be made aware? I come across your posts often and thank you.

Go here and upgrade your program to the latest version 4.3.0.780.
    I use this and Norton Utilities to clean the reg out. The best way to do what your doing, is to follow the step for step directions at Zone Labs to completely remove ZA. If you can't do that, then what your using will work, but it still leaves some entries in the reg and can cause you problems down the road.
    Last edited by blebs; 10-29-01 at 10:41 AM.

ive used reg-cleaner to remove the leftover zonealarm entrys, a few times, i knew it was safe to do, but evil-a is right about the back up option, although reg-cleaner dose a auto back up its still not a bad thing to run egedit, and export the sys reg.

re

Thanks for upgrade info,blebbs.Ya,still got some ZA stuff going on cause keep getting new entries for ZA in reg cleaner.Was just looking for an easier,softer way- I tell ya,i'ma ready for the XPerience of XP.

Check ZA's site and find the keys for the email attachment script protection. There are 2 of them and if you don't get rid of them, the next script that you DO want to see, you won't be able to open. I know it's a pain in the butt to get rid of, but if at all possible, follow Zonelabs instructions. Have fun with XP. Think I'm going to go somewhere and play with it before seriously buying my own copy!

OK,well,off to work i go, yuk!

It is best to just delete the reg keys using regedit, not Reg Cleaner.

I have used every version of reg cleaner since version 1.something and the latest version still WILL NOT remove all keys left after an uninstall of most apps. There are keys that cannot be removed. That isn the design of windows itself, not a problem w/ reg cleaners.

If you have backed up your registry using the registry backup tool located in System Info utility, you can then go ahead and manually remove the keys. It is very easy & you will be "brighter" afterwards! Go to Run menu & type MSINFO32 & OK button. In the Tools Menu of MSINFO is reg checker & backup tool.

Worst case scenario is you delete a wrong key, in which case you restart in DOS & at the prompt type scanreg /restore and you can restore the registry!

re:

mmm,well,i definitely like the idea of being brighter.The main reason i like reg cleaner is i dont have a clue as how to find associated
    reg keys to any particular prog i uninstall (aside from ZA as you have informed me what to rid)and im always trying new stuff out and most of the time i get rid of it.So i must have a whole bunch of these undeleted keys.Is there a way to view ones entire registry and scroll as you would system.ini ?I have used reg checker before and its never told me of anything wrong,so what exactly does it check for?I didnt know i could pull it up like that,cool.