Thread: Cable Modem Uncapping

Angry Cable Modem Uncapping

It is real, and all it does is hog someone else's bandwidth. Admit it, but at least don't lie about it. Other places will ban you for talking about it(i.e. Speedcorp) and if it wasn't real, they would not worry about it.

http://www.speedguide.net/editorials/uncapping.shtml

That’s right. It’s possible and we all know how to do it... but we’re not telling you. You are the only person who doesn’t know how.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Hey, I don't wanna know how. I have speed, I just want more. And I NEVER said that I thought that was right. Oh yeah, I do know how to do that.

Why can't I uncap my cable modem?

Cable modem technology is capable of speeds in excess of 1 MBit/sec. . However, modern cable modems, in particular cable modems that comply with the DOCSIS industry standard, can be set to limit the maximum speed to much lower values. Typically, the speed of cable modems is limited to 500 kBit/sec for download (loading data) and anywhere from 128-256 kBit/sec for uploads (sending data).

Cable ISPs 'cap' or limit speed for a number of reasons. First of all, such caps make it easier for cable modem ISPs to distribute bandwidth among users. The upload cap in particular is intended to discourage users to run big servers. In general, these caps are also put in place to make the system more robust. At slower speeds, packet loss is usually lower and the system can handle worse signal quality.

So how do I uncap my modem?

Short answer: You don't. The speed limit is enforced at the head end. Short of hacking into the head end computer there is no way you could increase this limit yourself. Some cable modems may have serial ports or other ways to change various settings. However, in order for the upload/download speed to change, you will have to reboot the modem after making that change. The problem is, that as soon as you reboot the modem, them modem will contact the head end computer to authenticate itself and it will download the latest settings, including speed limits.

If I can't do it, can my ISP?

Theoretically yes. In some areas, mostly in Europe, ISPs offer different plans that provide for higher speeds at a higher price. It can't hurt to ask your ISP if you feel that your speed is too slow. You can always try to change the registry settings of your PC to get at least all the bandwidth offered by your ISP.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Calm down. I'm not going to tell anyone. It is possible using a certain configuration file. That's all I'm gonna say since you all are getting antsy. I apologize, yet do not deny my argument.

(no one here but you and me)

I just had a nice cup of clam chowder, the sun is shining in my window and it’s Friday. Life is good!!!

No there is not a configuration file that will work. If there was, whoever wrote it would be posting it all over the Internet. If SG had such a configuration file or tweak... they’d post it fast and hard. Think of the exposure such a tweak would give you. If it exsisted, why on earth would someone keep it a secret? I think it would be impossible to keep such a thing secret. It would be like a kid on Christmas night being told not to open the presents. Can’t be done.

Again... you’re simply looking for more speeds. I did the same for a long time and will continue to. The answer just isn’t here. Good luck!
    Last edited by MadDoctor; 10-26-01 at 12:48 PM.

here is a little info on how uncapping works: ANY USAGE OF THIS WOKAROUND IS ILLIGAL! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THE INFORMATION. ALL IPs AND MACs ARE FICTIONAL. IF YOU GET SUED OR BILLED BY YOUR PROVIDER I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE. USE ALL THE INFORMATION AT YOU OWN RISK. The shown "hack" does NOT modify/abuse/rape your modem or router! All it does in short terms is that is creates a virtuel gateway(GW) that owns the MAC address (modification of the ARP table on your computer) of the modem, gives your computer the same MAC and modifies your routing table. All modifications are done on YOUR computer. This "hack" is possible due to a bug in the lancity modem (one of the BEST modems in the world!!). In fact there is NO additional program nessecary to make the modifications! All the modifications can be done with the ARP and ROUTE command in win32/unix. (yes, win32 has this commands too!) The ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) is a list of MAC addresses and the assigned IP addresses. In the ARP table of your computer you will possibly only find the MAC and IP of your GW (not the modem!), because the routing is NOT done all the way by your computer! If you have a big LAN (Local Area Network) you will find the MAC-IP addresses of all your computer you talked to. So the ARP table "helps" your ethernet card to communicate with the other hosts/computers/GWs in your LAN or network. This is nessecary because ethernetcards dont know IPs. So if you send out a packet on your LAN and your computer does not know the MAC address of the destination computer it sends a broadcast message to all computers on your LAN asking:"ARP who has IP(the destination IP) what is your MAC?". On a local area network (LAN) or other network, the MAC (Media Access Control) address is your computer's unique hardware number. (On an Ethernet LAN, it's the same as your Ethernet address.) When you're connected to the Internet from your computer (or host as the Internet protocol thinks of it), a correspondence table relates your IP address to your computer's physical (MAC) address on the LAN. The MAC address is used by the Media Access Control sublayer of the Data-Link Control (DLC) layer of telecommunication protocols. There is a different MAC sublayer for each physical device type. The other sublayer level in the DLC layer is the Logical Link Control sublayer. The computer with the right IP answers the question and sends back its MAC address. Now your computer (better ethernet card) is possible to send the packet to the right destination. The MAC address is stored in your computer in the ARP-table so your computer does not has to ask again. The routing table shows your computer/kernel how to get somewhere. The routing table is in allmost all computers static. It does not change unless you do it. Your computer lives in a specific network class (NC). The internet contains thousands of networks. All this networks are connected via GWs/Hubs/Firewalls/Routes (not blame me on this , ok!). So if you send out a packet in the internet you computer has to know how to get to the destination. It is not possible that your computer knows all the ways to all computers on the internet. So all it has to know is how where the exit from your network is. This is the default route. All packets that match the entry in the default route are send to this GW. There is much more to tell but i think you are tiered now from reading this. Lets make a computer with the following data: HOSTNAME: providerxyz.net (address assinged by provider) COMPUTER IP: 62.1.2.1 (address assinged by provider) NETMASK: 255.255.255.0 ETHERNET MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:11 GATEWAY: 10.10.200.1 (address assinged by provider) This computer is connected to the internet via a lancity modem. The modem is transperent from your point of view. (your computer does NOT know that there is a modem between the router and itself!). For further discussion lets write down the MAC of the modem. We dont need it yet. MODEM MAC: 00:00:ca:00:00:ff Ok lets discuss the routing table. On your fictional computer the routing table looks like this: Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 62.1.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo default 10.10.200.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 The most importat entry is the "default" destination. The gateway it 10.10.200.1 All packets that match 0.0.0.0 (that means ALL exept the one that match the netmask 255.255.255.0 for the route in the own network 62.1.2.0 ) have to go to the GW 10.10.200.1 via the Iface(Interface,ethernetcard) eth0. The loopback is the internal network of the computer. So how does the ARP table look like ? Ok, here it is: Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask Iface 10.10.200.1 ether 00:A2:A0:E1:FF:11 C eth0 Due to the fact that the loopback does not have an ethernetcard and the only computer we have to talk to to send packets is teh GW there is only the entry for the MAC of the defauklt GW 10.10.200.1 So how does the way of a packet look like when it goes its way in the internet ? ok. lets look what tracerouute shows us when we trace the providers www server. traceroute to www.provider.net (62.1.20.1) 1 10.10.200.1 (10.10.200.1) 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 2 www.provider.net (62.1.20.1) 2ms 1ms 3ms First waypoint is the GW (10.10.200.1). I told you, the modem is transperent!! The 2nd waypoint is the www server. From my point of few the bug is that the modem only shapes the traffic that comes from the MAC of the ethernetcard pluged to the modem and thats destination is the default GW given you by the provider. The workaround goes like this. We create a virtuel GW, assign the MAC of the modem to this virtuel GW and make this new virtuel GW our default GW into the internet. We give our computer the same MAC for its IP. When we send out a packet after the modification, the packet first goes to the virtuel GW. But the MAC of this GW is the modem! The modem is no longer transperent form the inside! The modem sees that the packet comes from its own MAC address. Remember: we did NOT really change the MAC of our ethernetcard! The MAC of the modem is burned into the ROM of the modem. If we could change the MAC of the modem we could not receive data anymore, because the MAC of your ethernetcard is programed into the modem so u only get TCP/UDP/ICMP packets that are addressed to your computer. Thats a very good idea, so sniffing is NOT possible! The ARP and routing table after the modification looks like this. Lets choose a virtuel GW with the IP: 10.10.10.0 Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask Iface 10.10.10.0 ether 00:00:ca:00:00:ff C M eth0 62.1.2.1 ether 00:00:ca:00:00:ff C M eth0 10.10.200.1 ether 00:A2:A0:E1:FF:11 C eth0 Here you can see that the virtuel GW has now the MAC of the modem and our computer has the same MAC. The routing table looks like this: Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 62.1.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 default 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 The default route is now 10.10.10.0 This virtuel GW (or better the now nomore transperent modem) has the MAC form the outside of the modem assigned to the inside. Our host/computer has a new MAC address assigned to itself. If still dont understand the routing and ARP read the RFC's or a good network manual. Well, its a very nasty bug. I am NOT happy that people found it. The UL (upload) speed goes up to the maximum of the modem. Thats 300KByte/sec for that kind of modem. Thats 40-60 times MORE than normal. Think about it. You take away the bandwidth of 40-60 people that arn't using this workaround. If all friend of you starting to use this workaround dont start to blame your provider for the bad DL/UL speed and packet loss. ITS YOUR OWN FAULT! I have to mention again that it is ILLIGAL to do this workaround. NEVER DO IT! IF YOU DO IT YOU CAN BE BILLED OR SUED BY YOUR PROVIDER!!

First I would like to say it’s refreshing to see someone post a proposed tweak and/or configuration setting that will eliminate a cap. Most people just puff out their chest and say it can be done... but never produce a thing. At least you back up your claim with words. Refreshing.

Many claims have been made to having the “magic bullet” to uncap a modem. All have failed. I’ll have one of my employees take a look at your post and see if it has any technical value.

My title “Federal Agent” is correct. I am a Federal Agent and you are correct. A workaround is illegal. Please go on.....

There are also several available programs on the market. Yes, I don't have a firewall up and you can find it in my c:\programs\
    cable modem speed uncapper v1.0\. It has worked for those who chose to use it. Good for you, i'm only 17. Oh well. You could still come and get me. Try around Monroe, NC.

I'm not looking for you. Thanks for coming by azureblade7 and I would ask that you stay for a while. I enjoyed our conversation.

azureblade7 hey friend check your Private Message Thanks!

Please. Even if it does work, delete it. We don't want any troubles here, and certainly Uncapping is one of them.
    Live to chase your dream...

Originally posted by azureblade7
    NEVER DO IT!
    So why post this?
    Live to chase your dream...

Originally posted by Pepsi Crispy M&Ms

So why post this?
    It’s all about life on the "edge". Sometimes you win… sometimes you loose.

SG Enthusiast
    There was a time when Lan City modems on certain systems could be uncapped. That time is passed. Yes, I know that folks believe it can be donw. There are also ads for perpetual motion machines. The US Patent office doesn't accept patent applications for them, and we don't discuss uncapping here.

Closed.

Kip