Thread: Results from my UDP Scan

Question Results from my UDP Scan

I just did the test from this site. http://scan.sygatetech.com/udpscan.html
    And I have been reading a lot on this message board and I have got a lot of help with computer security. I am behind a Linksys Router that uses NAT and running the free ZoneAlarm. But the test at the above link reported "CLOSED" And at Shields Up all my ports are Stealthed. I don't know anything about ports at all. I think the two sites are checking different things. My question in am I at risk? And what should I do if I am? And remember I am a newbie so break it down like you all do all the time for us.
    Thanks in advance! Jimmy
    onetopdog

Question

You might want to run a extra firewall like tiny or zonealarm. Sygate reports blocked for stealth. If it reported there just closed. You are at risk if one should open for any reason. GoodLuck!
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick replies. But is is ok to run two firewalls? Wondering because I have been told not to do it with Virus Scans. I had ZoneAlarm running when I did the test. I am going to delete my temp files and try it again.
    onetopdog

SG Enthusiast
    Open your router control panel, click the advanced tab. Enable "block WAN request" apply changes and then probe your self again. The default behaviour (without the WAN blocker enabled) is to REFUSE inbound connection attempts - CLOSED. Enabling the option has the router DROP the packets - no response whatsoever. Ergo STEALTH.

When you are behind a NAT router, the router is the only device truely connected to the net. That is why a software firewall on your machine will not help your status. Having a single software fw on your box will add an extra layer of inbound protection and can add outbound protection (which a router will not). ZA will control both inbound and outbound. Black Ice will only monitor inbound so choose wisely.

Careful probing yourself too often - you could get hairy palms and go blind

Have fun,

Skye
    Last edited by cyberskye; 10-22-01 at 12:05 PM.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)