Thread: Linksys 4-Port DSL Router - Forwarding Doesn't Work?

Angry Linksys 4-Port DSL Router - Forwarding Doesn't Work?

Hi all,

I've got the 4-port Broadband router from Linksys a few months back and got it set up with 2 machines. Here's the situation.

I am on a SWBell DSL PPPoE connection.
    One computer is my normal development machine running WinXP Professional, the other is a dedicated server running Whistler Server Beta 2. Both machines can access the internet through the router with no problems. Both machines can browse, use FTP, you name it. PPPoE connection through the router is also good. I have the connection set to 'Keep Alive' with a 30 second redial delay. DHCP is off, the workstation is 192.168.1.2 while the server is 192.168.1.3. Port forwarding is set up to allow the following ports through to the server machine (.1.3)...
    80,81, 443 (Web/SSL), 20-21 (FTP), 3389 (Terminal Server), 1433 (SQL Server). "Block WAN Request" is off, all passthroughs are enabled. "Remote Administration" is on (for the time being).

Now here's the weird part. Loopback works fine inside the network... I can connect to the server from the workstation using either the local IP (192.168) or the WAN IP. As soon as I leave home and try to connect to my network from the Internet, nothing works. No web sites load, no SQL server connections get through, no terminal server connections get through. Remote administration doesn't work.

I can ping the server, and I can connect through FTP (but for some reason I cannot download files). All these things work fine INSIDE the network.

Linksys refuses to give any sort of technical support for these issues. Please, can anyone give me anything I can check to figure out what is wrong??

Much gratitude in advance,
    -etone-

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Some other things when you specify TCP/IP settings on the computers instead of letting DHCP of the router run it...don't forget to specify the gateway, which is the router, and specify the DNS servers of your ISP. I also run WINS internally (although not needed), and DNS internally. Going through a NetGear router...can access Outlook Web Access and Terminal Services from home.

For yucks, just to rule out some port forwarding type issues, can you briefly DMZ the box to test?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

DMZ

thanks

I can try it, but I won't know anything for another 24 hours at least, since I have to wait till I get home from work, remove all the forwarding info, pop it out on DMZ, then wait till I get to work the next day before I can try it out.

Are there other possibilities?

I'm pretty sure the server software and TCP/IP settings are configured allright - or at least the ones you mentioned. I wasn't able to browse until I set up my static IP/gateway.

Wait, come to think of it, I think the DNS settings on both computers are set to 192.168.1.1 (the router's internal IP). Yet both machines can browse just fine regardless. I wouldn't think that incorrect DNS settings on my server would keep other machines from "getting in"... but could that be it?

-etone-

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I don't think your DNS are your problem...but what you're doing is using the router for DNS forwarding, which I don't find always reliable. I always specify the ISPs DNS servers on all my LAN setups. Actually, where an NT server is involved...to help internal name resolution, I always kick off DNS on the NT server, have the servers DHCP hand out the servers IP address as the DNS server. On the servers TCP/IP properties, I have the ISP's DNS servers. I do this because on the rare times that the broadband connection drops....some networked apps such as Outlook will hang trying to resolve to the Exchange server...since name resolution queries DNS first.. and it you can't ping the ISP's DNS servers...you get some serious name resolution hanging..even if WINS is running.

I'd use other than the router for DNS. You said you have WAN admin enabled on your router, right? When you get home, log on and pop the server into the DMZ for an hour or so while you test...then when you're done, remove the server from DMZ. You said it would be out there for 24 hours or so if you did it at work, tried and home, then couldnt' remove it until work the next day. I wouldn't want my companies servers to be unprotected in DMZ for any amount of time. Should be able to turn on remote admin and DMZ it from home for a short time. Just make sure you change your routers admin password from the default one, to something strong (letters and numbers).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well, see , that's the thing. I can't put it into DMZ from anywhere but home.

The problem with putting it into DMZ from work (where I can test its Internet connectivity) is the same problem I've been having.

Even though remote admin is on and Block WAN Request is disabled, I still can't connect to it outside my network (from the Internet at work, where I am now). That's one of the things I am trying to fix.

-etone-

Arrow

What firmware are you using? The latest is 1.40.1, which includes Stateful Packet Inspection. If you have SPI enabled, you must disable it! Port forwarding will not work with it enabled.
    Last edited by monty; 10-17-01 at 01:33 PM.

I'm pretty sure SPI is disabled. Especially if that was the default, which I think it is.

I'll check it out though.. thanks

Anything else it could be??

-etone-

STILL problematic

Hey all..
    still having a problem...
    I'm on the latest firmware, and this still isn't working.

I DMZ'ed the server -- that resulted in nothing being able to connect to the server.

I've tried turning off multicast/IPSec passthrough, that doesn't work.

I turned on logging and can see the remote host trying to connect to the server on port 80.

Everything still works perfectly inside my LAN, it's connections from outside (on the Internet) to the server that I have forwarded FTP & HTTP & HTTPS ports to that don't work.

Why doesn't this router work? I'm about ready to throw it away.

-etone-