Thread: Copying files from hard drive to hard drive

Advanced Member

Copying files from hard drive to hard drive

I recently purchased a 40 gb western digital hard drive and wanted to transfer all of my files and stuff from the origional 7gig hdd that is currently in my computer now. My first attempt to do this was unsuccessful as it copied all of the files, but failed to transfer any of the .dll files??? I am scratching my head on this one as it is the first time i have attempted to do this. Anyone know what I am doing wrong here?
    Fee was a buddhist prodigy...
    Long past the age of maturity...
    Someday he knew it would set him free...
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Did you do it through windows?

Try it through DOS

boot to dos thru a boot disk and type "copy c:\ d:\" without the quotes where c:\ and d:\ are the source and destination, respectivly
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

Advanced Member
    i did it through windows....i will try it through dos though, that would make a little more sense for it to work that way....thanks
    Fee was a buddhist prodigy...
    Long past the age of maturity...
    Someday he knew it would set him free...
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Actually the best way to do this is to use a drive/partition-imaging/cloning software like Norton Ghost or PowerQuest DriveImage. But if you don't have one of these, another alternative would be to get into DOS mode and use the xcopy command:

xcopy c:\ d:\ /s/h

This will copy everything from one drive to another, including all sub-directories and hidden/system files.

I use a file called xxcopy. See my response in This Thread

You can use the data life guard program on Western Digital's website. You can do a drive to drive copy. It's free when you buy the drive.