Thread: Please help with MTU, MSS and all those settings...plz

Please help with MTU, MSS and all those settings...plz

Ok, I connect to the internet at 28.8...ya i know it sux, dam phone lines in my area. I am a heavy online gamer (halflife etc..) and would like to know what settings would result in a lower ping. I have win2000 professional, P4 1.5ghz, 256 ram..

Damn.. And your computer have so much potiential to be a very fast broadband computer...

Is your service limiting you to 28.8, or is your modem limiting you? Like did you buy the 56K package? What are your downloading speeds as of now? A couple of Questions that may help me to get to know better of your enviroment.
    Live to chase your dream...

Ya its frustrating to have a screaming system and poor connection. Ok my isp limits me to 28.8....I've tried two different isp's so I guess I cannot do any better-due to phone lines. I do have a 56k modem though. My download speeds...well heheh a pathetic 2.8K, 3.5 on a good day.....

You can try America Online or Netzero's Free services. I believe America Online is free for 3 months, while Netzero is free for life but have limits per month.

www.aol.com

www.netzero.com

Go check it out, you may be happy with your speeds doubled.

That would be an option but none of those have local access numbers for me...I'm in northern michigan here..lol

ok i just ran the tcp/ip analyzer and this is what it said...

TCP options string = 020405b401010402

MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.

MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which is equal to MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 8760
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 8760
    RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    64240 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product:
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 350.4 kbps (43.8 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 140.16 kbps (17.52 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    Consider increasing your RWIN value to optimize TCP/IP for broadband.

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 117 hops
    TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349)= 00000000

this cannot be optimal settings for my poop connection, especially for online gaming....i need some expert advice that will yield results......PLZ help me.........................

Please list your System Specs here. Download Cablenut adjuster from my sig below. Install, reboot, and download the patch for 56K in Speedguide Tweaks, which is also below.

ok plz wait for me to do this because i really appreciate the help...ok i found the cablenut download but on the speedtweak page everything seems to be for cable/dsl connections, which one should i download i dont see one that says anything for 56k

ah.. wrong place. Oh well.

Open Cablenut, find the 3 boxes- DefaultRcvWindow, TCPwindowsize, and Globalmaxtcpwindowsize. There, type the Rwins you want to add in, which I suggest- 64240, 22000, 11000, and 32167. Enter one at a time, reboot, do one of the online tests, look in the help thread to find out where the test is. Find the best setting for your computer. I would recommand testing right now instead of in the mornings or afternoon.

Also, Try the Crazyman Tweak below. Be careful, follow the directions, always backup, save an offline copy of the instructions so that you won't be lost. Good luck.

Although I am snappy with computers some of this stuff goes over my head....so your saying just edit the rwin? what about mtu and mss, ttl, and all that......mind you i play alot of online games.

You should set your MTU to 576, Mss just 40 off 576, and ttl would be 64. You can change them with any of the programs listed at the bottom of the Speedguide Tweaks page.

Rwin is problably the most effective tweak that you can find about internet connections. That's why I suggested it first, totally forgot that you have dial-up.. They do make a big impact on the Broadband world..

Phew, ok man first of all i appreciate your patience i really do but i am lost bro....that program has **** loads of settings. your gonna have to be more specific in your instructions...you gave those suggested values and three different places to put them....do i put those same settings in each one of those spots...im sorry but im lost man.

Yes, same number in all 3 boxes.