Thread: Read this article on MS

Read this article on MS

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1536

Very good history of why I hate MS.

Microsoft at this point wanted to include disk compression into the mix, but did not feel they had the time to develop their own technology, so began discussions with STAC to license the technology used in their Stacker compression program. Microsoft and STAC were unable to come to an agreement regarding licensing fees, so Microsoft took a step that would become infamous. Instead of paying for the technology, they buddied up to STAC, learned all they could about their program and processes and then reverse-engineered the product, wrote their own version of it and told STAC to take a hike. They released DOS 6.2 with DoubleSpace, their own version of Stacker. STAC was furious, and sued in court. While it turns out that STAC itself was ruled as having infringed on Microsoft technology also, the courts ended up ordering Microsoft to pull DoubleSpace from their product line. Dos 6.21 was released sans compression, and later 6.22 was released with a re-written compression engine called DriveSpace. Overall, the courts had ordered Microsoft to pay STAC $120 million in damages, and also that STAC pay Microsoft some $13.7 million for their transgressions. In the end, Microsoft made a deal with STAC. They agreed to a cross-licensing pact that involved royalty payments to STAC of $1 million per month for some 43 months, and also bought some $39.9 million in STAC shares.
    wow. what does it mean to "reverse-engineer" something? I've heard the term for many years, just dont understand what it means/does.

Microsoft seems uninterested in heeding the warnings of an increasingly angry and resentful marketplace. They seem unwilling to pause in their effort to milk the general public for cash in a move to shore up the bottom line and put stockholders ahead of customers. They seem to tune out those who ask the simple questions: "How many billions in profit does it take before you will act like you give a damn about the people who buy your products?" and "Why don't you just give us some flexibility and let us choose what parts we want to install and remove?".
    yea really, that's how i feel. give us options.

thanks for the link g-funk.

Re: Read this article on MS

Originally posted by Macho-Module
    http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1536

Very good history of why I hate MS.
    i guess you not the only one .
    your village calld, they want there idiot back !!

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    reverse engeneering is like engineering but reversed..

let's say they got a new 20 ghz computer that fits in the hand... they wanna know how it works... so they have to go step by step.. analyzing what they have... how it's made and how it could be done..

that's reverse engineering.. it's when u have something and u wanna figure out how it works..

I think anyways..

ah, ok. so like, i buy a product, and take it apart, and learn all about it, and build my own, but make it different enough so its not the same as the product I bought.

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    soemthing to that extent.. I suppose..

but it's usually something that the gov or some smart people get.. like ufo and stuff... and try to figure out how it works.. heh

Almost forgot about this late night thread.

^^^

Well, honestly I haven't had many good reasons until the recent XP news started hitting the fan over the past few months.

The thought of "renting" my OS and Office software doesn't sit well. Also, the new product activation makes my skin crawl every time I read about it.

This company is just way too powerful, plain and simple.

Originally posted by Macho-Module
    Well, honestly I haven't had many good reasons until the recent XP news started hitting the fan over the past few months.

The thought of "renting" my OS and Office software doesn't sit well. Also, the new product activation makes my skin crawl every time I read about it.

This company is just way too powerful, plain and simple.
    Speaking of MS being way too powerful, I agree. Reading that article Brent posted Right here, f00fas I was reading how they could take in over 5 Billion dollars just on upgrades of Office XP.

That's an enourmous amount of money right there, not to mention what they'll make with all there other software and products. I think it's a monopoly in every sense of the word.

I know I certainly dont have the money to upgrade Windows and Office, let alone new video cards and other software each year or two.

Plus, if what your using fits your needs and purposes, why should you upgrade? Well, I guess you wouldn't have to then, but I think even if you use Windows 95, you should be entitled to some sort of discount on upgrading.

And the normal person, all they know is Windows. Linux and BeOS, and FreeBSD, and any other OS you can name would most likely be too much of a learning curve for them to learn, as I know Linux was a bit too complicated for me. Not to mention, driver/hardware/software support is lacking in most of them.