Thread: JUST OPINIONS... may be selling this to a guy at work

JUST OPINIONS... may be selling this to a guy at work

MSI MS-6195 (KT133 chipset)
    Duron 750
    either 256MB CAS3 PC100 or 256MB CAS3 PC133 (could be either, depending on some other things i have going on)
    NVidia TnT2 16MB
    20GB Seagate ATAIII hdd (to be honest, i cant remember if its ATA/66 or ATA/100 or 5400RPM or 7200RPM. it has a sustained ~34MBps, though)
    NIC or analogue modem of some kind. not really an issue
    basic Yamaha PCI soundcard
    basic 52X IDE CD-ROM
    basic floppy
    mid-tower ATX case+300W Antec PS
    OS/setup/config (Win98se or win2k, depends on what he wants)

i was thinking roughly $350 for the box ready-to-go (he has monitor/keyboard/mouse already).

is this too much (no, i wont sell it to somebody here for $50 )? or is it too low, and i would be screweing myself? this will be funding my next CPU/mobo upgrade for my main system (and the T-Bird 1.1GHz/KT7A goes into my fileserver), i i dont want to cheat him (main point), but i also dont want to cheat myself (obviously).

any opinions?
    "I think this day will go down as a black day in the history of mankind"

-Leo Szilard - December 2, 1942, following the first successful nuclear fission test.

I think that is too low, I just dumped a 333 for that price and look at the size of HD you are using. If you are going to go low at least use a 10 gig instead of a 20. JMO

Mouse

Personally, I think its a little low. Does the guy at work know alot about comps? I would try and get like $400-500.
    You certainly can't buy a new comp for that price, can you? with the same specs....let me check.

this is a Systemax computer, from TigerDirect.com

Processor: AMD Athlon 850MHz
    Memory: 128MB PC133
    Hard Drive: 20Gb Ultra ATA/66
    CD-ROM: 52X CD-ROM
    Video: 3D AGP Video Card
    Audio: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Card
    Modem: 56K v.90 Modem<
    Case: ATX Case with 250 Watt power supply
    Warranty: 90-day parts and labor Limited warranty
    also includes winME.
    they are selling it for $499.

You get more memory, but slower processor. with your comp.
    better case and power supply.
    better video card (i assume, tigerdirect didn't give specefics)

so yours is better, than that, so i think 400-500 is quite fair.

Yeah. Hell, I would buy it for that price.. And I am broke, you see what I am coming from?
    Live to chase your dream...

thanks, mouse. these are currently "parts on hand" (i already have them), so the hdd size i cant really change, but the point is definitely taken.

i tend to acquire a serious "greed"/guilt complex towards these things. i just dont want to end up feeling like i got the better of someone on this. if nothing else, i would rather feel like they did (but keeping the margin between the two as low as possible). wouldn't mind chalking up a little good karma along the way (never hurts). i am just damned with the knowledge of how easy it is to build your own box, which i tend to trivialize... making this sort of thing fairly difficult.

anyways... would $400 be too much?

-Leo Szilard - December 2, 1942, following the first successful nuclear fission test.

whoa... a couple more posts while i was typing... sorry guys.

doug, no. he knows nothing about comps except you can buy one at Best Buy if you want. not savvy at all. i appreciate the input. since i have not purchased an OEM box (or even priced them out) for years and years, i am not too hip to what can be had for what amount. thanks for the help

sweet&crispy..... i totally know where you are coming from. knowing you are not unknowing per computers helps me out.

thanks for the help so far. it looks like $400 would be a "good guy" price (?!?!?)?

Well that is better, If it was me selling it I would ask $450.

He has a good size HD, plenty of RAM, and it's upgradable. Most that you buy in the store already built usually don't come with much room for upgrades, so you end up buying another one and they get your money each time...

May I ask what he's doing with the Computer?

just "normal" stuff (i would presume to a certain extent). internet and e-mail, ms office stuff (thats included as well in the package) to a lesser degree (Word and maybe Excel, but thats about it). nothing really 3D intensive (though that might change in the future. who knows). just a couple kid's learning games at this point. maybe listening to music (i'll put a small library on it. maybe he will get into it... then again, who knows).

there's a little assumption involved on my part (real player and quicktime as well as winamp)..... trying to make it versatile by "regular" people's needs. thats about it on the software angle.

I would defintly charge him $500 bucks. SOudns like you'll be doing lots of stuff, with installing the OS, and music library, MS Office, etc, etc.

well, did you ask him what is a fair price? or did you tell him, "hey, I'm selling my computer for 350" since if you do charge him 500, he'd be like "you told me 350 earlier"

$500 bucks, is a steal. well, $500 at a max, unless of course, he wants to go higher. $400 at a minimum. I'm going by what I would do. I see no problem in spending 400 bucks on a computer like that.

Then he problably don't need the TnT2 Card then.. I ran a cpu for 3 yrs now doing problably the same stuff he's doing and I never REALLY had the need for a 3d Card, which is why I don't have one in.

Blog Entries
    500 dollars would be an excellent price for your friend. Keep in mind, he also has purchased you as endless support. One thing I have learn about building machines for friends.... They expect you to answer all questions and fix all problems. I now tell people to buy OTC boxes (Usually Dell).

david

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

David, my freind is an older guy who is not much of a tinkerer, so i dont think (or hope not, anyways) i will get too many panicked phone calls at 4:30am. i kind of like helping people out anyways. maybe i am a masochist or something . you make a very good point, though. i hadn't considered that too much before.

at any rate, thank you folks for all the help. i think i know where i stand on this.