Thread: Everybody read this article please

Everybody read this article please

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Weapons of Ass Destruction"

Good article Vegeto. It is unfortunate that anyone, anywhere has to live in that kind of fear.

Question though, She mentioned that in the Gulf War we unleashed our (US) anger on Muslims. Do you think thats true? I guess I just never thought of Huessein as a Muslim. If he is, I don't think we targeted him for that.

Sorry, not trying to take away from your reasoning for posting the article. Just curious of your thoughts I guess.

I hope things are going too badly for you. I really do.

I wonder if Americans know that the rage they are feeling today is what Palestinians and Muslims across the world feel everyday against the American government. Every time there has been an attack against Americans, the government focuses on retribution and prevention, but pays little attention to changing its policies such as indifference to the loss of Palestinian lives.
    I don't get it...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Originally posted by EvilAngel

I don't get it...

I took that part to mean that they live with this type of terror over there on a daily basis, and not much is done about it. The US, however, when terrorists attack and even 1 American is killed we launch some sort of retaliation.

Re: Everybody read this article please

Originally posted by vegeto
    http://www.alternet.org/print.html?StoryID=11482

thank you.
    I read the article Vegeto and was impressed to the point where he said that the US unleashed its anger on Muslims

I think back to the Gulf War, when Americans unleashed their anger on Muslims. Then in high school, I was a dumbfounded teenager when we were called camel jockey and Maddas lover -- Saddam Hussein's first name spelled backwards. Now, I am more scared knowing how vicious the usually tolerant American can become in times of crises.
    It is this kind of biased and slanted rhetoric that gets the pot all stirred up with hate because that statement is clearly UNAMERICAN!!!!

The Gulf War was an International response to the clear and deliberate actions of Saddam Hussein. The UN Security Council resolved it as such....
    It was NOT a war over RELIGION but over AGGRESSION!!!!!

Those are the facts of the matter.

As for the Palistinians(sp?), all I have to say is look at COMMON SENSE!

The war between the Jews and the Palestinians have been waged far far longer than the US has been in existence but both sides are vying for our support. WHY???? These people drug us into their battle....I don't remember asking to be brought into settle some damn streetfight.

As far as I can see...that whole region can kiss my damn ass because they fail to realize that PEACE is the only answer!!!!

AMERICA is NOT a RELIGION but these *********s are making it out to be one...well I guess they will have to reap what they sow now won't they!?!?!?!

Sorry for my response to you Vegeto and it's not an attack on you but I've asked you to look at what you are and where you are first...you are an AMERICAN living in AMERICA...just like the rest of us. You are here because of the same reasons my ancestors are...we wanted to be FREE and rid of all the BS that the world puts on us...but now they are jealous of our freedom and thats it! Misery loves company dude!

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Makes sence... and that's why America is so beautiful... we take care of our's
    Last edited by EvilAngel; 09-17-01 at 11:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

uod2001 , you just chewed out a 16 year old mixed up kid. Feel better? I'm impressed dude.....

hey Uod, and noevo, im not sure WHAT the gulf war was about, so i dont know anythign about that. Anyways, I guess i should have said taht you guys should read the first couple of paragraphs. and a couple of after the gulf war thing.

sorry uod, i didnt mean to get ya mad man, but i mustve missed that gulf war thing.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by downhill
    uod2001 , you just chewed out a 16 year old mixed up kid. Feel better? I'm impressed dude.....
    14 actually, and i dont feel bad at all, i didnt understand what Uod was saying since i have no idea what the gulf war was about, no need for flaming or nothing here.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by vegeto
    hey Uod, and noevo, im not sure WHAT the gulf war was about, so i dont know anythign about that. Anyways, I guess i should have said taht you guys should read the first couple of paragraphs. and a couple of after the gulf war thing.

sorry uod, i didnt mean to get ya mad man, but i mustve missed that gulf war thing.
    okay vegeto. I wasn't sure if religion came into it or not. I was pretty drunk at the time.

Nope...with all due respect, u're wrong Downhill...Vegeto is a young man and I treat him as such until he proves otherwise...we have spoken to eachother before and quite frankly it isn't anyone else's business what we have talked about. I don't age discriminate...I discriminate against bad ideas. the author of that article was spreading bad ideas.

Vegeto. if you read my post fully, you'll see that I did state that is was not an attack on you...so please don't look at it as such.

Originally posted by uod2001

Nope...with all due respect, u're wrong Downhill...Vegeto is a young man and I treat him as such until he proves otherwise...we have spoken to eachother before and quite frankly it isn't anyone else's business what we have talked about. I don't age discriminate...I discriminate against bad ideas. the author of that article was spreading bad ideas.

Vegeto. if you read my post fully, you'll see that I did state that is was not an attack on you...so please don't look at it as such.
    no prob man, i understand it wasnt an attack on me, it was an attack on the author.

Were just discussing the article here, nothing else
    - Benjamin Franklin

Sure, no problems....I wasn't flaming as such. I feel we need to treat each other with a little more respect. Myself included. If your post was private, I wouldn't have posted since I wouldn't have been able to see it.

I don't disagree with most of your post, uod, in fact a lot of what your post is true. About the Gulf war....do you suppose it was ALL about aggression? Or do you suppose that oil maybe had a little to do with it?

We as Americans arn't that informed as to what's really going on in the world. We listen to our own spindoctors and nodded our heads in agreement.

The way I see it, and my views have changed drastically over the past 7 days, is that Muslims in general just want us to get the hell out of their back yard. The west has woven itself into the fabric of the Muslim world and to ill affect.

We fight wars over "stability", which basically means for cheaper oil, we turn their local regimes against themselves (i.e. Saudi Arabia), and we pretty much don't give a rats arse about all the deaths of Palestinians that we see on the news constantly (and rightly so, for the most part, since it is the Pals that are suicide bombing Israeli's).

But the point is, we are -in their eyes- alot like the British were centuries ago when the newly titled Americans were spilling Boston tea into the waters of British harbors. We are in their business with a definate presence, meddling in their affairs and causing them alot of death and destruction.

Now before you flame the hell outta me, think about it for a second. How would you react if the Taliban were making decisions that directly affected your neck of the woods? We are doing just that to these Islamic peoples.

So where am I going with this post? Well, I am simply stating that I am beginning to whip out that good old journalistic objectivity and look at the current state of affairs from a different perspective.

Despite this fact though, I feel that bombing was definately the wrong thing to do, and I truly believe that the Taliban is beginning to see this as well. But what are these countries to do?

We are the ally of their enemy, and Bush put it best recently when he said, "If you aren't our ally, then you are our enemy."

Before you flame, can you think of anything that these Islamic nations could have done to get the U.S. out of their affairs to an extent that would make the people of these nations happy? Because I sure as hell can't think of anything off the top of my head.

And as far as military action goes, I feel that we should tread in their lands with caution, making sure to only obliterate those that would act as the agents of terrorism or would stand in it's defense. There is no need to mow down innocent women and children. We need to surgically remove those that would stoop to the evil that they so abhor.
    Last edited by Gaming-Module; 09-18-01 at 12:15 AM.

Well I might as well finish the rest of my analysis of the article...

The US, either the government or the people, does not have a policy towards Muslims or any religion for that matter...only policies towards governments in particular...

We wish to be friendly with all...and welcome all to our fine country but thats in an ideal society and world

Sure, no problems....I wasn't flaming as such. I feel we need to treat each other with a little more respect. Myself included. If your post was private, I wouldn't have posted since I wouldn't have been able to see it.

I don't disagree with most of your post, uod, in fact a lot of what your post is true. About the Gulf war....do you suppose it was ALL about aggression? Or do you suppose that oil maybe had a little to do with it?

We as Americans arn't that informed as to what's really going on in the world. We listen to our own spindoctors and nodded our heads in agreement.
    OK...here's the deal...all wars have been fought over natural resources...but they are started over the violent struggle to control them...hence aggression. I used to read my fathers manuals from his days at the war college as an officer in the Army.: )

Originally posted by Macho-Module
    The way I see it, and my views have changed drastically over the past 7 days, is that Muslims in general just want us to get the hell out of their back yard. The west has woven itself into the fabric of the Muslim world and to ill affect.

We fight wars over "stability", which basically means for cheaper oil, we turn their local regimes against themselves (i.e. Saudi Arabia), and we pretty much don't give a rats arse about all the deaths of Palestinians that we see on the news constantly (and rightly so, for the most part, since it is the Pals that are suicide bombing Israeli's).

But the point is, we are -in their eyes- alot like the British were centuries ago when the newly titled Americans were spilling Boston tea into the waters of British harbors. We are in their business with a definate presence, meddling in their affairs and causing them alot of death and destruction.

Now before you flame the hell outta me, think about it for a second. How would you react if the Taliban were making decisions that directly affected your neck of the woods? We are doing just that to these Islamic peoples.

So where am I going with this post? Well, I am simply stating that I am beginning to whip out that good old journalistic objectivity and look at the current state of affairs from a different perspective.

Despite this fact though, I feel that bombing was definately the wrong thing to do, and I truly believe that the Taliban is beginning to see this as well. But what are these countries to do?

We are the ally of their enemy, and Bush put it best recently when he said, "If you aren't our ally, then you are our enemy."

Before you flame, can you think of anything that these Islamic nations could have done to get the U.S. out of their affairs to an extent that would make the people of these nations happy? Because I sure as hell can't think of anything off the top of my head.

And as far as military action goes, I feel that we should tread in their lands with caution, making sure to only obliterate those that would act as the agents of terrorism or would stand in it's defense. There is no need to mow down innocent women and children. We need to surgically remove those that would stoop to the evil that they so abhor.
    I'm not going to flame you...I just want you to re read your post...

so for the thousand years prior to the existence of the US...who did these people blame for their problems?

Meddling???? We have to be given permission, an invitation in fact, to aid our allies...The Royal Saudi Government asked for our hand in the Gulf Crisis

I want you to apply the same logic as it pertains to the
    Balkans...we didn't help until it was too late because everyone kept saying stay out of it! Well we did and it still cam back to haunt us. Millions dead and a country laid to waste and for what? The SAME DAMN STORY!!!! JEWS vs MUSLIM...brother against brother...Christians vs. Jews...Christians vs. Muslims...Catholics vs. Protestants.

These people all fight over religion because they can't understand that religion knows no boundaries...
    Here in the US we practice our religions wherever we want...we are truly free. That scares them because it threatens what they have been fighting for for over 2 thousand years...holy lands.

It has been said that religion is the "opiate of the masses",

but it can be the "pcp of the masses" just the same.

Differing belief systems are by definition at odds with each other, each in some way asserting themselves to be the holder of the "truths", with the rest being somehow unlearned, or misled or just plain ignorant and evil. Very few see or acknowledge the basic tenants they all share, or practice them toward each other. They are a world unto themselves.

the soil under your feet in mecca is no different than the soil under your feet in harlem
    A Speaker for the Dead
    (We all have to start somewhere.)

"I wonder if Americans know that the rage they are feeling today is what Palestinians and Muslims across the world feel everyday against the American government. Every time there has been an attack against Americans, the government focuses on retribution and prevention, but pays little attention to changing its policies such as indifference to the loss of Palestinian lives."

Makes me wanna bitch slap that idiot...

which idiot would this be?
    A Speaker for the Dead
    (We all have to start somewhere.)