Thread: DNS switching?

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice

DNS switching?

Hi! I have a question. First of all, i'm still not entirely sure what purpose a DNS server is for. As I understand it, it is what your ISP uses to find the website you're looking for. I might be wrong or too vague though.

My question is how my tcp properties is setup. I changed my IP# and my DNS# to manual to avoid the dhcp problems when I need to renew my IP address. I'm curious what would happen if I changed the order of my DNS#'s. There is a primary and a secondary in numeric order, what if I changed them? I'm sure EVERYONE has the ##.###.##.1 first and then the ##.###.##.2 next, what if I switched them? Would I gain more speed and perhaps some online stability?

thanks for any thoughts
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Well, DNS does what you guessed.....when you type in www.yahoo.com....the internet works with IP addresses only....so something needs to translate www.yahoo.com to 64.58.76.224. When you go to a prompt and type in ping www.yahoo.com.....your computer first needs to hit a DNS server to find out what IP yahoo is. I run DNS locally from my NT 4 server at the house, so I don't use my ISP's DNS servers. Changing your DNS servers order usually won't help anything....as DNS usually works quite fast. At the prompt...ping several websites/domains. If your pings come back quickly with replies...then your DNS is working quickly.

I don't know if you're behind a router or not...but I either always have an NT server hand out IP info via DHCP on the network, or if there isn't a server on the network, I always manually specify the IP info on each workstation. I don't find the DHCP of routers to be reliable.

I just did a DSL troubleshoot for a store nearby....he had issues with line noise in the store killing his connection. The connection always stayed on...he connected fine...I could ping things like crazy with good replies and tracerts...but his browser and e-mail, Norton updates, etc...wouldn't work most of the time....or were painfully slow. I suspected attenuation (basically signal loss) in the lines...had his wires re-run from the phone block to his office....problem gone.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

*** To YeOldeStoneCat ***

I run DNS locally from my NT 4 server at the house, so I don't use my ISP's DNS servers.
    You mean your workstations behind your firewall hit your DNS server directly attached to your CPE, then your DNS server sends the request to your CPE, and your CPE in turn queries your ISP's DNS servers, right? That's how I have it setup at home.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web

Changing your DNS servers order usually won't help anything....as DNS usually works quite fast.
    Ehh.. Not always true.. Try using DirecTV DSL's local DNS servers for your area if using their service, and more than often you'll find that using their root DNS servers, like ns2.telocity.net (whatever that name translates to), works a little better, and won't time you out as much. It's always worth trying anyway, for as long as you're not using a DNS server outside your ISP's network. Doing the latter will adversely affect response times, since your PC would be literally querying a DNS server that may be miles away from your ISP's network.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by MosDef112

Ehh.. Not always true.. Try using DirecTV DSL's local DNS servers for your area if using their service, and more than often you'll find that using their root DNS servers, like ns2.telocity.net (whatever that name translates to), works a little better, and won't time you out as much. It's always worth trying anyway, for as long as you're not using a DNS server outside your ISP's network. Doing the latter will adversely affect response times, since your PC would be literally querying a DNS server that may be miles away from your ISP's network.
    Yeah, I can't answer for every ISP's DNS servers, I'm sure there are plenty out there that do not perform well. "Direct TV" in the name...I'd stay away from that one out of principle.

I have my NT 4 server setup with both my ISP's DNS servers in it's TCP/IP properties, with itself as the third. I kicked off DNS server on my server. I used DHCP on the server to hand out WINS, Gateway, itself at the sole DNS server, and the TCP scope to my network at my house, I do not use the DHCP of the router. So my workstations see my NT server's IP as their DNS server.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!