Thread: Shutting Down The Computer Improperly

fartface

Shutting Down The Computer Improperly

I have shut down my computer improperly A lot. When i shutdown improperly does any of my hardware go bad or does reformatting fix all the errors than happen when shutting down improperly?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Pretty much most of the damage is files on your hard drive. Shutting down improperly...your programs and your OS do not have the time to close/save the files...resulting in crosslinked and damaged files. Sometimes you can do this many times in a row without a problem...other times you'll encounter a problem right away.

The DOS mode scandisk you see on reboot is pretty useless....but let it do it's thing. Use the full blown scandisk in your tools with the options of thorough and automatically fix. You'll notice filechk.001 002 003...etc etc which is a result of scandisk each time you improperly shut down. You can safely delete those. When directories blow up...you'll see Directory.001 002 003...etc etc.

Wiping the hard drive clean, FDISK to delete and recreate partitions, and format, then re-install....yet you'll find that you'll have to do this after a while.

You're better off learning how to click your start button...and selecting "Shut Down".
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    quote: You're better off learning how to click your start button...and selecting "Shut Down".

lmao

fartface

/

So if i reformat and repartition the harddrive, will everything be erased and be as good as it was when i first bought the computer? or does reformatting leave some things behind which will still cause problems on my computer?

Re: /

Originally posted by fartface
    So if i reformat and repartition the harddrive, will everything be erased and be as good as it was when i first bought the computer? or does reformatting leave some things behind which will still cause problems on my computer?
    it will completely remove everything, your hard drive will be totally blank

If you just delete the partition then that will also remove everyrhing, and you'll have no partition

you have to create a new partion, format, then install your OS and all your programs

it will clear out and fix everything software wize

it won't fix hardware problems though
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor