Thread: What's happening?? Someone help!! Please

Unhappy What's happening?? Someone help!! Please

How come all my mp3 files are sometimes in this VBScript format. When I try clicking on them, it doesn't work and I can't burn any CD's. What should I do??This problem has been going on for a while now and it's making me crazy! Please, someone reply to this!! Thanks.

Ummm VBScript format?
    Do you mean that instead of .mp3 they are .vbs
    Or are they showing up with the VBscript icon?

I'd be careful clicking on the .vbs files, hope you have a good virus/trojan scanner. Sometimes people will hide the .vbs or .js etc. extensions that way it looks like a .mp3 but when you click on it it opens a virus or trojan.
    (This may not be your case, but be careful anyways)

Also are you trying to make a cd with mp3's or regular songs?

Oh ya, welcome to speedguide.
    Last edited by SRF01; 08-30-01 at 05:39 AM.

They do have the icon and they are in that .vbs format. And when I try to burn cd's, (regular cd's), the songs format need to be in mp3 format (or wmp or something like that) and it doesn't work. Here's what it says when i right click on a file and click properties

01- Jagged Edge Feat_ JD, Da Brat, ROC, Nelly, Lil Bow Wow - Where The Party At (Remix) (1).mp3

Type: VBScript File

Size: .....whatever

Ms-Dos Name: 01-JAG~1.VBS

created, modified...etc.

I think you have a virus and it has infected all of your mp3 files. I don't believe that there is any current way to fix this because I think that the virus takes the files and just fills them up with characters and takes up space. I could be wrong however. I think the only way to fix everything is to format. However, I would wait for other opinions before you format just yet.

Thanks for your reply. If I do end up formatting, how would I do that? Just install windows again?

depends

if your windows copy was an oem, my oem copy reformats before installing. so far this is the same for all the other oem copies my friends have for their computers.
    asdf?

Hey Jagged edge have you tried to rename the files to .mp3 ? This may not work but it's worth a try. Just right click and select rename then take out the .vbs and add .mp3

Also download a good virus and trojan scanner and scan away. It may turn up a virus and if you're lucky repair it.

If that doesn't work... hummm

1. Also when you are burning your cd's what program are you using?
    2. Are you trying to burn a mp3 cd of over 100 songs or a regular cd with maybe 15 songs?
    3. What happens when you rip a song off a real cd to the .mp3 format? Does it work and can you play it?

IMO formating is a last resort so lets try to figure it out before it comes to that.