Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is correct

Advanced Member NuclearHeadache's Avatar
    A few more questions:

1. Someone told me not to use /s. Only if the drive has never been fdisked b4 should I do this, and I think my HD has been when I removed winME and installed win98se.

2. How do I save things like ICQ, MSN messenger, and Games to my D drive?

3. I get a messege everytime I start up "Invalid setting in the MSDOS.SYS file: IES\INDEX.DAT".......what does this mean and how do I get rid of it. Will this effect my format?

4. My C drive is not called C, it's called Win98 cus I renamed it. Do I still format "C" or Win98 (C)?

5. I've noticed a lot of IBM files I have like IBM tools. Should I save these cus I don't have any IBM disks?
    Last edited by NuclearHeadache; 08-31-01 at 01:04 PM.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Western Digital
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Isaiah 2:10

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

Anybody?...........
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

Ok, I'll try to answer all these questions.

1. /s has nothing to do with Fdisk, it puts the system files on your drive so it can boot. Yes, do it.
    After a format, without the /s the drive will give an error of "invalid media, so do the /s.

2. Copy the directories form C:\Program Files for ICQ, and MS Messenger to D: drive, then once you've reinstalled Win98 after the format C: (/s) Copy those directories back to where you got them, and reinstall ICQ, and MS Messenger to the same ole default directories.

3. Nuke, when you format a drive, everything is gone, even errors in the MSDos.sys file

4. Doesn't matter what you renamed C: drive to, it is still C: drive. When in Dos, the primary Dos partition is C:. In Windows, it probably appears as Win98 (C), nothing to worry about, chill man

5. Sure, save them to D: too, you may want to use them someday. Probaly don't need them though.

Nuke, do you know if your Win98 CD is a full install, or an upgrade CD?
    Only proceed further if it's a full install CD, because without an OS already installed, the upgrade CD won't work.

Anything else ?

Nuke, you may have troubles, and you may screw everything up, I know I did a few years ago, but you're about to learn from getting your hands dirty, and once you do, you'll never forget.
    It may take a couple of tries, and a bit of frustration, but it's all worth it buddy, go for it

One last thought, make sure you have copies of your passwords for ICQ and any other programs you're going to reinstall too. Save them somewhere before you begin, it'll help.
    Last edited by Norm; 08-31-01 at 01:09 PM.

Originally posted by Norm
    One last thought, make sure you have copies of your passwords for ICQ and any other programs you're going to reinstall too. Save them somewhere before you begin, it'll help.
    This sounds like my first time around-I got so involved with worrying about screwing up my hard drive that I forgot to copy all my passwords. I felt like a real idiot having to email places for all the passwords and program unlock codes that needed them.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

One more thing, go to the C:\windows directory and find the directory named Application Data, and copy that to your D: drive too. It contains all your Emails, and address book from Outlook Express. You can import them back to Outlook Express after you reinstall windows.

Good luck Nuke

So I inser the floppy and Win98se CD in the CD rom, reboot, and nothing happens.......it starts up like normal.....what gives?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

It looks like your whole system is screwed jk

hehe, we should have wrote you a book

You'll have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order from c, a to a, c. To get into most BIOS setups you need to hit the "delete" key on your PC as its going through the post routines at bootup.
    Make the changes, then save and exit.

When ever I turn on my computer I get a brief messege stating......

F12 to boot from the network

F1 for Configuratio/Setup

soes this mean anything........oh and it only appears when I do a complete restart not a reboot.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Use F1, and go into the setup. that's the BIOS setup where you'll have to look around for, and find, the setting for the boot order.
    Change the boot order to have A first then C, so it'll boot to the floppy drive first. Just read as you go for the details of how to manouver, and change settings in the BIOS, it's usually on the pages somewhere on how to make the change(s).

Only change that one thing, stay away from the other settings till someday in the future when you know a bit more about what they do, then have even more fun

Don't worry about the network F12 thing, you don't need to go in there.
    Last edited by Norm; 08-31-01 at 04:27 PM.

Just read as you go for the details of how to manouver, and change settings in the BIOS, it's usually on the pages somewhere on how to make the change(s).

Pages of what Norm? Cus I don't have a manual....If I did would I be pulling my hair out like this......
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

LOL, I just can't help it Nuke, you remind me of me when I was in the same place and time. LOL

The pages I refer to are the pages in the BIOS setup program.
    You'll see what I mean once you enter it, by hitting the F1 key.

Let me give you some advice here Nuke, just go for it, take a few risks. Read everything you come across before you [enter] or say "ok" to anything, you'll learn, I did. I had no books, no help, and nobody to turn to when I screwed up. Computers were so new only the extreme geeks owned one. LOL
    Books can help to a degree, but hands on, "playing around" and risking it all will 'FORCE' you to learn, or you'll have a paperweight on your desk

Now quit asking, and start doing
    jk If you need anything, I'll be here to help.
    Keep in mind it's Friday, and I won't be here as much on the weekend.
    Get yourself a used PC to test and play on if you can, it helps. That way you keep your main one running while you learn and screw up the spare.

Also if you need manuals for your mobo BIOS, or anything else, a web search will find them for you. Or try the manufacturers site and get them from there.

Good luck again

I'm so sorry man but it's gets more complicated as I go along.

Now that I've visited the BIOS it says this....

first statup device : Hard disk 0 (zero)
    second startup device : Diskette drive 0 (zero)

What gives?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Ok Nuke, things are not going to be the same on every PC, or every BIOS, so you have to try to figure things out.

HD 0 is the Hardrive
    Diskette 0 is the floppy
    Look around, see if there is anywhere to change them around so that it's floppy first and HD second. The setting may even be in a different section of the BIOS setup, I don't know. That BIOS you have isn't familiar to me, but if you keep reading, and looking around, you'll figure it out.

Somewhere in there it should say how to make changes, like using the [enter] key, or arrows, or something.

You're getting there Nuke, it's not as hard as it seems you know, it's just that it's all so new to you.

I see you have an IBM Netvista, post the model number and I'll see if i can find you the manual for it.
    Any other info that could help me find it too, anything you can think of.

BTW - The manuals are online, in pdf format, so you'll need acrobat reader to read them. I think I have your manual, but to be sure, I need the model number . It's on your case somewhere.

Hurry, It's almost dinner time, and i may not be back online tonight.

Just in case i miss your reply,,,, Is this your model

ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/bp_n...a/p06p1583.pdf

I see you have an IBM Netvista, post the model number and I'll see if i can find you the manual for it.
    Any other info that could help me find it too, anything you can think of.
    Hey Norm the specs are in the link in my signature...... the model # should be 6276-56U...... I called Ibm and they said they would call me back and let me know what they can do about the manual.......that was three weeks ago

BTW Norm, you've been great. I probably won't get this done until I feel I have enough info on the matter but you've helped a lot man.....thanks.....and I'll try to stop bothering you

I'll leave you alone this weekend though, ok....
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Here ya go, you need Adobe Acrobat reader to read it, if you don't have it, it's free to try, do a search, you'll find it.

ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/netvista/23p1088.pdf = Your manual

You aren't bothering me Nuke, I enjoy helping the new guys learn

My time is limited though, so you're going to have to take a few risks, and believe in yourself a bit more. You can do it, I know how you feel, it's scary thinking you may lose the use of your PC, but you sure learn fast when it's not working let me tell you

Here's another page full of stuff for your PC (manuals etc.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/support/cgi-bi...ns&subtype=All

Wow, long link eh? hehe
    Enjoy Nuke,

[edit] Sorry, link doesn't work
    Go to the top of this next link to the search, and put in 6276, it will take you to the link I had above.[/edit]

http://www.pc.ibm.com/support?lang=e...76&subtype=All
    Last edited by Norm; 08-31-01 at 05:46 PM.

Damn search pages won't work, never mind the above post.