Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is correct

Advanced Member NuclearHeadache's Avatar

Which is correct

I run Win 98se and have a partitioned drive, C and D....This is how someone told me to formatt my C drive....Download my drivers and save them on my D drive, Insert my Win 98 boot disk and Win 98se CD into my CD Rom and restart. He said it would boot from the floppy. Then when asked if I want to start with CD Rom support I should select : yes. He said I would end up at (a) then type (format c) Then it would ask if I'm sure I want to format and select YES. Then I would be prompted to enter volume label and selest (none). Then formatting would begin. When complete it would end up at (a) again and I should type (setup) Then setup would perform a routine scan on my drive.....That's what one person told me to do....

Another person told me to formatt this way:
    boot to a floppy...

start WITHOUT cd rom support and at the prompt.. (the other said with CD Rom support)

format C:

to get to FDISK at the prompt type that... FDISK ( but I don't want to FDISK I want to FORMAT C)

What do I do here?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Western Digital
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Isaiah 2:10

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

Installing Windows 98

Good luck, and have fun while you're at it

Sorry man but one person tells me one thing, another tells me something else, and now you give me a link that has something else. The info I've been told is relatively the same but there are still differences........I'll never get this done.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

Originally posted by NuclearHeadache
    Sorry man but one person tells me one thing, another tells me something else, and now you give me a link that has something else. The info I've been told is relatively the same but there are still differences........I'll never get this done.
    the link that Norm gave you is very accurate. i used it when i formatted, and now i know it like the back of my hand.

Originally posted by cornbread

the link that Norm gave you is very accurate. i used it when i formatted, and now i know it like the back of my hand.
    I'm sure it's very informative and probably the best way to go but it still talks about FDISK and that's where I get confused. I have a partition C,D and I just wanna wipe out C and reinstall Windows.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Originally posted by NuclearHeadache

I'm sure it's very informative and probably the best way to go but it still talks about FDISK and that's where I get confused. I have a partition C,D and I just wanna wipe out C and reinstall Windows.
    try this
    print this out and read a few times before u start
    make sure u back everything up also that u want to save
    worked for me.:2cool:

Originally posted by cybotron r_9

try this
    print this out and read a few times before u start
    make sure u back everything up also that u want to save
    worked for me.:2cool:

This is French to me man, I crearly stated that I didn't want anything to do with FDISK...... but thank's for trying anyway....
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

If you don't wanna FDISK, just skip the FDISK part and continue on. Follow Norman's link, and start from step 4, where it says If you already have a partition start here.

Originally posted by sattien
    If you don't wanna FDISK, just skip the FDISK part and continue on. Follow Norman's link, and start from step 4, where it says If you already have a partition start here.
    Ditto

Forget fdisk, you don't need it, you're drive is partitioned, so just start with formatting c drive at Step#4 of the article. The rest is pretty straight forward, but read it carefully. Print it out so you can refer to it while offline.

Good luck Nuke

Hey thanks Norm
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

np Nuke, welcome bud.

Let us know how it goes.

This is a step from a link that Norm gave me......

http://www.speedcorp.net/guides/windows/instwin98.php

5. When you see the A:> prompt type in "md c:\win98" (without the quotes) and hit [enter] but make sure you include the [space] between md and c:\win98. This will put a directory on your c: drive named win98. Once this is done type in copy x:\win98 c:\win98 and hit [enter] Don't forget the space between x:\win98 and c:\win98 (x = the drive letter of your CD ROM) Since we have booted into the Startup disk there is a RAM Drive created in memory using D as it's name so your CD ROM drive letter will be bumped up by one letter to the next letter of the alphabet. For example: If your CD ROM drive letter is normally D it will be E, etc. This copying will put the whole win98 file from the CD ROM onto your c: drive in the Win98 directory. This is done for better performance and efficiency for the install of Win98(much faster install time). You will not need the Win98 CD ROM when changing options in Win98 later once it is installed so you will save your win98 CD from destruction from over use.

": If your CD ROM drive letter is normally D it will be E, etc. This copying will put the whole win98 file from the CD ROM onto your c: drive in the Win98 directory"

Heres where I get lost^

If D is your rom drive wouldn't that mean you don't have a partition, I'm saying this cus this part of the passage is intended for people who already have a partition.

My "A" is my floppy, "C" is, well, C, "D" is my partition, "E" is my CD/DVD ROM, "F" is my burner.

Help me!!!!
    Last edited by NuclearHeadache; 08-30-01 at 05:24 PM.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Here I come to save the DAY!

(Sorry for the cheezy mighy mouse refrence )

All that means is that there is a ram drive created and the ram drive is generally a d, if there is already a primary dos partition (generally called C This causes all other drives that are generally d:, e:, f:, and so one to move over 1 letter.

No the Ram drive always picks the first available drive letter, which is in most cases D:.

However If you didn't have a partition, the ram drive would use C: as the drive letter, so if it's D: you are in good shape.
    Last edited by HMS White Star; 08-30-01 at 06:51 PM.
    No speed for you!

Ok the following is what should be if you have 2 partitions already, you claim to have a 'primary c: partition', and an 'extended Dos partition d:' or may be another physical drive, you didn't say.

So after a booting into a startup disk it should be like this.

c:=primary Dos partition = The one you want to format

d:=extended Dos partiton = The one you don't want formatted

e:=ramdrive = Created by the startup disk to hold Dos Utilities

f:=CDRom (possibly burner) Normally e: (the creation of the ramdrive bumps it up one letter

g:=Burner(possibly CDRom) Sometimes the burner is seen as the first CDRom. = Usually f:, bumped by ramdrive.

The windows setup will either be on your F: or G: drive. Put your Win98 CD into your CDRom drive.

To view the contents of these drives type the letter F: [enter] then dir [enter] if you see that there are files then you have the right drive. If not, try G: [enter] then dir [enter]
    If you have the right drive you will see some directories, Win98, Addons, Tools etc
    Once you know which drive the Win98 setup files are on, substitute that drive letter for any time the article says to use it.

I got your PM Nuke, but just as I tried to send it my modem lost sinc until just now, over 2 hours downtime. So I decided to answer you here instead of PM.

Again, good luck Nuke

I think Norm cleared it up...a bit..... If I go out and buy a computer that only has a C drive that means it already has a partition? All this time I thought having a partition meant having C,D drives. But now I understand that in order to use a computer with Windows it has to have a partitioned drive, am I correct?

All I want is to wipe out my C drive and maybe later wipe out my D drive but keep everything the same in regards to .........

"A" as my floppy, "C" is, well, C, "D" is my partition, "E" is my CD/DVD ROM, "F" is my burner. I want all this to stay the same. So would anyone would be so kind as to tell me what I would do in my situation when it comes to formatting. Basically I want everything the same and don't want to have to create a G drive.

Also does the RAM drive stay in the system of does it get deleted after formatting returning the BUMPED drives to their normal letters......example RAM drive created bumped CD ROM to "F". After formatting does "F" turn into "E"?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

LOL Nuke, you sound like me when I started out with Dos LOL

You're taking everything to seriously buddy, it'll all fall in place, you'll see.

The ramdrive is only temporary Nuke, gone after a reboot. It is just created by the startup disk to put some Dos utilities into.

Format C: only, then install windows, your D: drive will still be there, and you can do what you like with it once in windows again.

Follow the article carefully Nuke, and you'll do ok, just don't use format d: or you'll lose all the info/files on that partition.

Yes, a drive is useless without a partition, so the first one is called C: (the primary Dos partition) D: is an extended partition, or you have 2 HD's in there bud.

So you catching on yet LOL

I'm only laughing at my own past Nuke, not you

Almost forgot, type the following at the A:> prompt

format c: /s

Like the article says, to get the system files on the C: drive, and make it bootable.
    Just follow the article Nuke, you'll be fine.

both are correct.. CD support is just that.. It loads everything that is needed to operate your cd drives into memory (selecting not to skips that)

I prefer to FDISK and delete all partitions, create one, and format that and install when Im doing it.

And in that order I choose no cd support the first time so it loads faster (you have to reboot anyhow) and then I choose cd support to install win2k

I would do that change your cd drive to the boot device and skip booting to a floppy

ииии

ииии

Thanks Norm, you gave me confidence......I'll let you know how it goes.....
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

You have to have at least one partition on your drive. Typically, the entire drive is designated as the primary partition, leaving nothing for extended ones. In your case, same as mine, the "C" partition is the primary partition, and then there's an extended partition which contains the logical drive "D." And I think you can use FDISK to partition and format any of your drives, meaning you could use it just to format the "C" partition on your drive.
    It's better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.