Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aging Gene Discovered, Good or Bad?

Blog Entries

Aging Gene Discovered, Good or Bad?

Hi Everyone

it was announced tonight on TV New's that Researchers had found and isolated the "Age Gene"

apparently this was accomplished by studying people over 90 and their aging process.

They state that within a Decade they should have available something that at least will be able to Slow the Aging Process

What do you feel are the +, - , of this News

Me i'm not so sure this is a good thing.

Financially (Can people Afford to live Longer)

Can You the People through the Government agencies Afford to Pay Out Retirement Monies for such long periods.

Can Health Care Afford these Sustained Costs?

Will this mean people will have to worl Longer before retirement?

Will Marriages suffer because of being together longer IE more divorces?

What are you thoughts & Opinions.

regards

minir

Nope, can't afford old people, burn them at 60

Hi minir, sorry about that hehe

I say lets adopt the new find once I reach 60

I think the retirement is a moot point. If we are living longer, chances are we will be in peak condition longer.

Personally, I'll be happy to live to 80 or so, but who knows.

I don't think this would cause any problems, aside from companies having to amend their retirement policies.

Workers would probably be able to remain in peak working order an extra 15 or 20 years.

Very enticing.

All kidding aside, ...
    Why does everything have to boil down to money, and can we afford it. We don't know if it will be a 110 year old, or a 25 year old that comes up with the next GREAT invention for mankind, so if we can keep people alive longer, lets do it, for the good of mankind, and forget what it costs.

We worry about money far too much (in every endevour), and don't consider other possible benefits, too bad, we all lose.

means the earth is going to become more over populated
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

If we keep people alive too long, the earth will really become over populated and that would make everything worse.

Nightowl beat me to it.

Originally posted by AAF Striker
    If we keep people alive too long, the earth will really become over populated and that would make everything worse.

Nightowl beat me to it.
    We're going to need some old fashion wisdom from the older guys to find new ways of feeding everyone then.

Not saying the wisdom can't come from a younger guy tho, just not as likely.

Don't beat me

I think it rocks.. but I dont forsee a drastic increase in the average lifespan of humans It would be cool though

ииии

ииии

Anything to make my mom happy she does everything for me and i hate to see her get old.
    We have seen their kind before. They're the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions, by abandoning every value except the will to power, they follow in the path of fascism, Nazism and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way to where it ends in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies.

Originally posted by nightowl
    means the earth is going to become more over populated
    Exactly. Thats why we need things such as cancer, aids, heart disease, war etc. Not a pleasent thought but a necessity none the less.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

we dont need diseases. Dying of Cancer is a horrible death and no one should have to go through it.
    We have seen their kind before. They're the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions, by abandoning every value except the will to power, they follow in the path of fascism, Nazism and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way to where it ends in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies.

Originally posted by 64bit

Exactly. Thats why we need things such as cancer, aids, heart disease, war etc. Not a pleasent thought but a necessity none the less.
    hmmm, some think positive, others think negative.
    I would think that we should find ways of having a large poulation work, rather than seeing disease and ill health as the best option for keeping the population fed etc.

There are ways of having a huge population and making it work out ok too.
    Just that the "money" thing comes up again.
    Spend it now, or spend it later, our choice.

We're getting spoiled with all these internet freebies LOL

I keep telling my kids and their friends, to get an education now. Not to wait at all. No matter what the cost. And to save in an IRA the limit. Or to try and save as much as possible in a 401 k.

My guess is that retirement programs are going to change because of what minir has posted.

I read a post that todays young generation may live to over 125 years old, and still be in great health at 110. If that's the case, you may need to work till your 90.

Sooo.....feed that 401K now. You may need a couple of million to retire. A doable thing by the time your 75 if you follow the rule of 7.

75 beats the hell out of 90 for retirement.

I also read a report showing that quite possible, kids born today may live well in excess of 300 years.

Don't know how all of you feel, but for me, 300 years is much too long.

Heres my 2 cents-

As a species, we are having some awful growing pains. The age of computers has opened horizons that were laughable only 20 years ago. We are able to harness incredible amounts of information, truly accessible at your fingertips almost any place anytime. With a bundle of DVD's you seriously could drag around the library of congress in yer backpack. Along with such access to info is the new ability to parse this information quickly. Researches can index, catalog and distribute findings, at almost the speed of light. Great for making and inventing.

Now the bad bits, we are an impatient race. Young and feral with technology. We apply it to anything that comes along, because it works, most of the time. The total love of tech is understandable, it really makes our lives great. But being a short-lived and nearsighted species we often jump into things and pay little heed to what might become of it.

Example- Romans found that lead was ductile and easy to form, corrosion resistant. What could be better to make strong seals on the aquaducts? Now we'd scream "Are you crazy?!?! Lead in the water!".

Maybe in 50 years or grandkids are gonna be sitting around saying "Can you belive those idiots didn't know that particle X was bombarding them from their portable phones?"

The age gene, great find. Gonna keep biologists busy for years, fantastic new drugs will undoubtdly arise from such reasearch. Incredible arguments will surface, and I 'm sure some bizarre experiments as well. We have to take this discovery, as well as all others, and apply some foresightedness to the situation. I think that the human race as a whole can only get better. We learn, and now have the capacity to catalog, and sift through failures and successes.

Dan.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

I want to live as long as I can, so I would go for it.

good points, brembo.

Speaking of impatient.....I need a new pill or two...

How about a yellow pill. You know the one. The understand women one. The HUGE yellow one that's hard to swallow.

Or maybe the purple one. The play guitar like Hendirx one.

Or the huge blue one. You know...the up for a month one.

Originally posted by downhill
    good points, brembo.

Speaking of impatient.....I need a new pill or two...

How about a yellow pill. You know the one. The understand women one. The HUGE yellow one that's hard to swallow.

Or maybe the purple one. The play guitar like Hendirx one.

Or the huge blue one. You know...the up for a month one.
    they have a "understand women one"?

Originally posted by Crump

they have a "understand women one"?

Yeah, it's been in the testing phase for 100's of years. For some reason it just won't work
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Originally posted by Prey521

Yeah, it's been in the testing phase for 100's of years. For some reason it just won't work
    i can believe that...i have been doing some research of my own for quite a few years and i have not gotten any farther than when i started

Blog Entries
    Interesting is it not.

I have no definative answers, only Questions.

My Mom is 82 and in great shape, mentally and physically. Her Mom & Dad both lived to 93.

My Mom was youngest with 7 Brothers

She has had to endure the loss of All.

Mother, Father & Seven Brothers, Plus My Dad & too many friends to count.

That's a lot of sorrow in one life.

What do you Grab onto in later years that makes life worthy?

My Mom is financially well off, many others are not, she see's great sadness in Her everyday life because of that.

Soon she will be unable to drive, thereby becoming more dependant on myself (no problem there) or others as we live 35 miles apart.

What of those who have no one nearby?

Quality of life becomes an issue, does it not?

The money Norm refers to is unfortunately a fact of life.

Someone must pay. Who?

Companies, Government, relatives???

If Companies, then cost of goods rise, if Government then Your contributions rise

If relatives, how do they save for their future???

Natural resources are stretched now as people by and large live longer each decade as is, due to better drugs and care.

Mental stimulation, Oprah for the old?

If the Old have to work longer to survive, How do you employ the young?

A few Questions, possibly worth consideration, but then what do i know i'm 60

What are Your thoughts

regards

Old minir