Thread: Computers & Internet 10 Years from now...

Computers & Internet 10 Years from now...

Guys...

What do you think Computers and the Internet will be like 10 years from now.

I think everyone will be on some sattellite broadband connection, like everywhere you go, you are linked with a sattellite. I think that everything will be done on the internet.

I think computers will be able to do sugery on people, with perfection. Aah.. i could go on.. what do you think ?

The way we view the Internet will be drastically changed.

In other words.

You.

Me.

Holodeck.

10 years.

Bring it (the girl in your avatar I mean).

Uninsured for your health
    Computers will be running at 10Ghz with **** loads and ****loads of RAM. terebyte drives WULL be created to handle variouse BloatWare system...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

10 years from now I doubt we will be judging processor speeds (if they still exist then) by Hz. As we've seen with the Athlon and Pentium 4, Hz no longer offer the comparative representation that they used to. Even if we remain using Hz as a standard, we will not be dealing with GHz anymore. About the 10Gz mark, I'll think we'll be seeing that A LOT sooner than 10 years.
    What's the most expensive purchase you've made on your miles/reward credit card? Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Application

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by el bob
    10 years from now I doubt we will be judging processor speeds (if they still exist then) by Hz. As we've seen with the Athlon and Pentium 4, Hz no longer offer the comparative representation that they used to. Even if we remain using Hz as a standard, we will not be dealing with GHz anymore. About the 10Gz mark, I'll think we'll be seeing that A LOT sooner than 10 years.
    If moore's law stays constant, then we should see 10 ghz by probably around 2006. By 2011, going by this law, we should see processors at around 50 ghz
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Uninsured for your health
    Originally posted by IndyOST

If moore's law stays constant, then we should see 10 ghz by probably around 2006. By 2011, going by this law, we should see processors at around 50 ghz

INSANE CLOWN SPEED!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

10 years from now the PC will be teh size of a hard disk, all harware standard and would upgrade little chips and things for increased performance, this unit will be staiotnary or portable with a headset for a monitor and speakers. Home monitors will be adustable, IE, if ur playing a agin the screen will curve around a bit so u can see ur sides in fps games and be adjusted striaght for desktop use. Mouse and keyboard will be optional.

speed, well it maybe 10-20ghz but i would bet on better multiprocessor use and see maybe 2 5ghz chips with 1 meg on die cache.

In the future, internet connections will be soo fast that before you even type in the address to a site, you're already there

Banned
    Smart thread.

Okay. How about we look at the year 2050 instead?

Internet will be the same, but called something else. (ie, Supernet, Ultranet, something that makes it sound bigger)

Everything will be streaming. You can go to AMC.com, and watch a 200MBps streaming movie for $40 a year, or $5 each time.

People will have large, HDTV's, or projection HDTV-type systems, that will be their entertainment center.

The Network will run around 800MBps, constant speed. Upload and Download no longer matters, as it is a unified process. No more packets, no more send/receive. It is all non-linear. What exists is what is there. Essentially, the internet is one big hard drive, and instantaneous.

Computers themselves will run around 500Ghz. Think about it. 10 years ago, computers ran at 10mhz. Now, they run at 1ghz, on average. That is a 100x increase per decade. 500Ghz.

Storage will be a unified system, and everyone will have the same capacity. 144PB. Enough to store 3000 years of today's mp3's. If every city block has a 144PB data server, everyone will be allowed the same amount of space, etc.

Games that are played will be nothing like what we have today.

New technologies will arrive, allowing us to smell, and feel the environment. Holographic projection is already in production at MIT, and some early beta systems have already been made.

Could we have a holodeck?

Games will no longer be played on HDCRT screens, but with goggles, and the general basis of all games will be changed. No more team play, no more SET objectives. The games of the future will run around total emersivity into a virtual world, where anything is possible.

Want to go to your grandmother's house? Hey... It's been mapped out, and it's on the Network.

Don't believe me? Would you believe the 1Ghz story, if this was 1991? Probably not.

Bluetooth2 will be the standard, as it unites the Network with all services imagined. Grocery stores are no longer in service, as 'Smart Food Storage' will take over.

Running low on milk? Your 'SFS' will automatically connect to whichever food company you do business with, and order a gallon of milk. Most likely, subscriptions will take place, giving free same-hour shipment to your home, via small, flying freight delivery bots.

Sounds like science fiction? Well, it is the year 2050 you know.

People in 1901 would never in their wildest dreams imagine something as low tech as a radio, or television.

Motion pictures were like magic to them.

The majority of all transportation will take place in energy efficient electronic cars, and trains. Traffic will be guided over the United States just as trains are scheduled on tracks. Go to point A, wait for car X to come past point A, continue to point B, etc.

In the same example, would you rather have human controlled traffic, which is so dissonant, and flows everywhere, causing wrecks, traffic jams, and death? Or would you rather have a slower moving line of cars, running in packs of 10, getting people to their destinations at a slower speed, yet in less time?

Highways would become more like the bullet train lines of Japan and Europe. Since they would be blocked from residential areas, mobiles will be permitted to travel at very high velocities... 120mph perhaps? Imagine looking at an interstate, seeing a line of 30 cars, all 3 inches apart from each other, travelling at 120mph, and absolutely no sound being made, beside their tires on the pavement.

People will work out of their homes, from parks, from the beach. Wherever it is more comfortable.

Look at today as 1901. People worked hard labor, for low pay. Had to buy clothes, groceries, etc. from the company store.

Then imagine 1950. Everyone with a white picket fence, two well fed children, a television, a pipe to smoke, a lovely wife, and a dog to fetch your slippers.

Put 2001 in that position. Then imagine a future of your own.

I think well be dead. I feel that there is a meteor and its gonna smash into are planet whiping most of us out. Only a few will survive and they will have mad sex only for the sake of reporduction.
    We have seen their kind before. They're the heirs of all the murderous ideologies of the 20th century. By sacrificing human life to serve their radical visions, by abandoning every value except the will to power, they follow in the path of fascism, Nazism and totalitarianism. And they will follow that path all the way to where it ends in history's unmarked grave of discarded lies.

q2dm1:

*clap clap* you have earned my applause
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

Originally posted by Merc
    they will have mad sex only for the sake of reporduction.
    Amen

Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

wow q2dm1, did u come from 2051 or something? unlike some of the predictions ive read several of them sound real, but i have to say your "network" sounds like something out of a computer horror movie

"the network has a map showing me the way to your grandmothers house, and im going to use it little red riding hood!!!!!!! bwahahahahahahahha"

although i think it would be more efficient if highways were replaced with high speed rail lines (mabye even maglev's) with expresses traveling between major stations and local trains going to every station, every city in america could have a branch station, think about it

this would also save people money as they wouldn't have to buy vehicles, just pay the government a little bit more tax to keep up the rail lines and trains
    Last edited by CompGeek83; 08-22-01 at 05:30 PM.

Banned
    Originally posted by CompGeek83
    although i think it would be more efficient if highways were replaced with high speed rail lines (mabye even maglev's) with expresses traveling between major stations and local trains going to every station, every city in america could have a branch station, think about it

this would also save people money as they wouldn't have to buy vehicles, just pay the government a little bit more tax to keep up the rail lines and trains

I don't agree...

One day, travel will be done only for fun. Camping, going to a friend's, etc... For work, in a large city, I do see maglev's as being the future. But people will never get rid of their cars.

Besides, does the Maglev take me to the dance club? Personal transportation will always be needed. For small areas, a 1-person device would work, like children going to school.

Here's my vision for education:

That's another area. The purpose of schooling is not education, but it is to prepare you for the "real world". If someone is not social, from the get-go, what kind of person will they be at work, with colleagues? People say that schooling is going to be moved into the home, over the Network, and it already is. There are a lot of colleges that use the internet as a virtual classroom, but it will never replace the real environment of the public school. At least not in the next 200 years.

Imagine a kid in the middle of his 12 years of school, going every day, on his scooter. Lines of scooters, rolling down the street.

Large transportation would only be used in harsh temperatures, to conserve energy. Winter/Summer/Rain/Snow.

Then again, who the hell doesn't like riding a bike in the rain? Feels so good.

Grades 1-3: Home schooling. Parents teach the most to their children in this period anyway. Remember your mom or dad drilling you the ABC's, and having fun doing it?
    Grades 4-6: Parental transportation to school.
    Grades 7-11: Students drive scooters, or ride on a bus
    Grade 12-Higher Education: Students are given the option to ride in their own mobile. Just as all other cars, it is guided.

School will become more hands on. Realistic fields will start popping up in schooling.

Look at 1901. You go into a one-room schoolhouse, with three books. Reading, Writing, and Arithmatic.

Look at 1950. You go into a large campus, with a stack of books in your arm. Reading, writing, arithmatic, geography, science, biology, the list goes on and on.

Look at 2001. There are no more books. In most new-age schools, the books remain in the classroom, and computers are already beginning to train students.

Yearbook 101. You walk in, and sit at a computer, in an application such as Quark Express, or Adobe Pagemill. Out prints a yearbook.

In my school, I had ridiculous classes. Computer Programming, Guitar, Jazz Chorus, Digital Photography. The list continues.

As time progresses, and new fields arrive in society, and gain attention, those fields will transfer into the schools.

We will see less and less "Algebra 101", and start to see 3D Animation 101, or Network Administration.

Hell, I had both in High School.

Back to the future:

Hands on education. If you're taking marine biology, you take a weekend trip to Hawaii, to help fix whatever is wrong with Pogo the Porpoise.

Network administration? Well... You go right to the central hub of each city. The data server, moderating all priv's of all connections on the Network.

Want to be an Astronaut? Cape Canaveral here I come.