Thread: Lan Party went VERY bad!

Lan Party went VERY bad!

Uuh.
    Ok, this is my 1st lan party. So my dad and i take a 1 and a halk\f hour trip down to ubc to a lan party. When we get there, we drive around for 45mins trying to find the buildng there in (UBC is HUGE). Ok, so i find the building. All is good. So we are on the top floor of the building. I think no prob, they said there are elevators. So me and my dad, are walking around trying to find this elevator. Ok, so we have walked around the whole building now, and me carriying my 30+ pound, 19' monitor. Finally we find the elevator on the other side of the building.

Get into the elevator, and up we go to the 3rd floor. Get out of the elevator, and this room, is like on the other side of the building. So im walking around trying to find this room. Now im like sweating like crazy, and im about to drop my monitor.

FINALLY we find the room, and i get myself all hooked up. Now i had 2 lan cards installed. So right off the bat, i plug the cable into the Cable Internet Network Card, But i think i pluged it into the other network card.. the home lan card. ANway i cant seem to get on the lan, so these guys are all workign on it, and finally i realize i pluged the cable into the wrong one. So we get that all figured out.

Now, im all excited and stuff... But my arm was so messed up from carrying my monitor up, that my hard was shaking so much i could not type. So, i end up playing cs. Everything was fine, until about 4 hours later, when things started going weird. My harddrive was constantly active, my comp was overheating, something was eating all my memory (even after a fresh reboot).

So i am like what the ****. An hour later, i was just sitting there and my computer, just like nothing shuts off. So i turn it back on and it says, "Boot error, Please insert disk in drive A:". So im like, ok il just reboot again, iv had this problem. Start the comp up, same thing. Now i cant figure this out. So i start the computer up again, and i look while its detecting harddrives, and its not detecting it. So i open up my computer, and it smells like smoke in there. And im like ****. I thought i fried something, which i actually did.

I fried my brand new 20gig raid drive. Now im just totally flipping out pissed off. But, luckly i brought a slave drive along, but it was only 1.2gigs. So i install win2k, and as its 91% done, it says "Cluser bad, terminating installation". As it turns out, i have a bad cluster on that drive, and scandisk wont fix it. So now im totally screwed, and im watching other people play Cs, and do lots of fun stuff.

So i get home, and i call up tech support, and there is no warranty on my drive. So i just waisted $200.

Anyway, i am now in masage therapy, because i tore a whole bunch of muscles in my arm, and messed it up preety damn bad.

Well, i am on my sisters p1, 133mhz, 32megs POS computer.

Anway, just a great experience for my 1st lan party.
    Err sorry for ranting on, had to let some steam go.

Next time get a dolly...

That had to suck man, I feel for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Big ouchies...
    Live to chase your dream...

I was mildly laughing at some parts until "So i get home, and i call up tech support, and there is no warranty on my drive. So i just waisted $200." ... That totally sucks that there was no warranty. Does the store you bought it from offer any warranties aside from the manufacturer of the HD?

damn that sucks man

sorry you had such a bad experience at your first lan party, don't let it ruine it for you though, it just teaches you to be MORE PREPARED for the next time

my first lan party was last year when I went to QuakeCon 2000, and it was sweet

this year I was so much more prepared for QuakeCon2001 BUT even then I wasn't prepared ENOUGH, so I've learned how to be even more prepared for the next time....
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Sorry man. That has to suck. Hope your arm gets better soon. Good luck

Hehe,

Thanks guys 4 all ur posts.

AAF Striker: Nope, I called around everywhere, no warranty. WHen i bought the HD, i was under the impression that there was a warranty. Ah oh well.

Brent: Lol, yeah. Alot of the guys bring a seperate bag with like everything in there to build a brand new computer if something goes wrong. WEll i learned from them, and i know what i have to do now. Buy aside from that, it was a blast, the networking part was lots of fun, i enjoyed that alot

It was a preety big party, we got about 50 - 60ppl there, and we blew alot of breakers.

My arm is not expected to get better for about another month. I can barely move it. I wont be playing football, baseball, no weightlifting, arg this sux, im already in preety bad shape.

hahaha, funny story dawg

Damn man, that's really too bad. I can still remember my first LAN session years back (1995/6?), it ruled so much.

It sounds like you had all the odds against you . I hope your arm gets better soon.

Cheers,
    Ronald
    ex-WoW-addict

yeah sorry to hear it man.
    I hope that doesn't happen to me in 2 months when I goto one

It seems as if everyone is losing there HDD First me then EvilAngel had to reformat cus of a bad install of Linux(His fault I think) then Jesse23 lost all his data now Linuxdawg,

Who is next to fall for the Killer HDD

ARg i know! Now im just sitting thinking of all the stuff i had on my hd. DAmn, i had so much warez, and like text files.. books i was halfway done. Ahhhhhhhh... i think im gonna cry

Linux, as i told john about also, there are many hard drive data retrieval companies out there for 150/less. Tell me if you want me to look into this more for you

what type of hard drive was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

damn dude that sux hope ur arms get better soon.

only buy maxtor or ibm drives with great waranties

Hey guys.

The harddrive wont even start. I fried something on the hd. Caus when i opened the case, it smelt like smoke. The hd is toast, and many ppl confiremed that.

Oh well. It was a raid drive lol, not some ibm **** drive.

Unhappy

wow, that does not sound fun bro. too bad. sorry about your arm too, ouch.

Uninsured for your health
    Originally posted by JLR
    yeah sorry to hear it man.
    I hope that doesn't happen to me in 2 months when I goto one

It seems as if everyone is losing there HDD First me then EvilAngel had to reformat cus of a bad install of Linux(His fault I think) then Jesse23 lost all his data now Linuxdawg,

Who is next to fall for the Killer HDD
    I whent down for a couple days lastweek, no real reason why the damn partition got corrupted...

LinuxDawg, don't get turned off to LAN Parties. They can be fun. I'm planning one, but can't find a location. Maybe the city has a cheap building for rent...or I'll have to kick everone out, move all furniture into one room, have folding tables/chairs all over the house and cat5 along the tables...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!