Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tigerdirect.com opinions...

Tigerdirect.com opinions...

Alright, this is probably the place for this.

What are your thoughts/experiences/opinions on Tigerdirect.com.

Have they ripped you off before?

i know a dude that likes them cuz he can buy in bulk for good prices.

never used them before
    What's the most expensive purchase you've made on your miles/reward credit card? Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Application

But were the goods in working order?

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    Do NOT buy from them under ANY cercumstances! Me and two of my friends used to do a lot of business with them, but no longer.

case 1-
    He bought a pent3 733 system when they first came out. He spent almost 2400 on the system and it was loaded with garbage at startup. Lucky for him, he had talked his way into getting an oem win98se disk. Unlucky though for his salesman because he was fired for it. The problems dont stop there though. The top of the line DVD drive only lasted six months. He was told that the mobo only supported ata33, so he purchased an ata66 controller card. He just found out that they didnt put the ata66 controler card in, even though he paid for it. On top of that, they only used 40 wire cable; so it was pretty slow as a result.

case 2-
    When I was buying my setup, another good friend of mine was upgrading as well. He bought a mobo and cpu combo from them. He was lucky that it was able to last 6 months before the mobo gave out.

case 3-
    I had the worst luck of all though. I bought a comptech mobo and amd950 from them. The l2 cache on it went after only 4 days. Lucky for me, I'm knowledgable about computers and was able to spot the problem. Preformance went WAY down, but most people would have missed it. I was running a radeon64ddr and the comptuer was having trouble playing mcgee's alice. The problem didnt stop there though. I had to beg them for a refund. Then, it took them 5 weeks afterwards to refund my money. They messed up on that 4 times... call after call after call... The only bright spot was that I had bought another mobo and cpu combo and they let me stop shipment on it. I told them it was because they listed the mobo as having agp4x, which it didnt.

case 4-
    I work at the post office and we ship through Billions of packages a day. What are the odds, while they were pushing the cpu and mobo combo; that I would see two returns come through? I really dont even work with packages that often, but I saw TWO returns pass by.

If you're buying a mouse, surge protector, or something like that; I would consider buying from them. For anything that is really important i would STAY AWAY!! I went through a company called www.micropro.com via pricewatch and was very happy. The best part was, I actually paid less for a much better product then tigerdirect even offered!
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

So I take it buying a "recertified" monitor off of them is probably not the best of ideas?

Depends on the cost...

it's kinda of like a gamble... cost to risk ratio.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)

It's a 1000 dollar monitor at roughly 350-400 dollars.

MultiSync FP1370 20" .24mm 2048 x 1536 @ 80Hz $349.99

wow, I'd go for it. that's a killer deal. you still get the NEC 1yr warrenty also.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

From what I've heard

This is not a trustable place. Anything you buy from them, especially the "recertified" stuff or "refurbished", is in near decay or moment from break down and will offer at most a feww months of enjoyment before it'll crap out. All of my experience in from what others have had to say about the place, so I'd stay away from them macho. $300 is too good of a deal. If it's too good to be true, then it must be.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

damn, i almost took out the credit card but good old common sense got the best of me

what would i do with 22" that I can't do with 19"?
    What's the most expensive purchase you've made on your miles/reward credit card? Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Application

Good show el bob.

I had them hold one of the 29 left, as of noon sat.

Needless to say, after reading an endless list of complaints at reseller ratings, I never called back to place my order.

Did I mention I don't play slot machines?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The WalMart of computer catalog shopping. LOL. I'd be embarrased to be caught reading that thing...not even worthy of sitting in the stack of bathroom reads.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't get why you ppl like buying stuff online all the time. Unless you live in some hick town, its FASTER, more CONVENIENT, and usually CHEAPER to buy from a local store.
    Abit KR7A-Raid
    Palomino 1.4Ghz @ 1.57Ghz @ default voltage /w DTek Spir@l block 512MB Crucial DDR @ 300Mhz CAS222 ATi OEM Radeon8500 @ 295/275 vmem=3.5v, would of gotten GF3 if they had better filters..... 3Com 905 TX SoundBlaster Live OEM 120gig Western Digital Special Edition (8MB Cache) 20gig Fujitsu 5400rpm (gonna get another WD1200JB for Raid0 soon) LiteOn 24x burner Enermax 350watt PSU (voltage modded) Dell P1110 21" Sony FD Trinitron tube @ 1792x1344 85Hz

Go to http://www.mwave.com/. they are awesome.

After reading OneTrueDay's comment, i'd say no lol

Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
    I don't get why you ppl like buying stuff online all the time. Unless you live in some hick town, its FASTER, more CONVENIENT, and usually CHEAPER to buy from a local store.
    there are a few local mom and pop stores here but they really just sell the basic stuff and its very limited supply too, they usually have to order the larger drivers, geforce 2 ultras/3s and stuff. Other than that i have compUSA, Best Buy is moving in but both wont really have great hardware prices.

For drivers, I usually download them. Even if you have a slow connection, you can use DAP with resume to download. I dont understand why a mom and pop store would have to order them.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)

Originally posted by onetrueday
    For drivers, I usually download them. Even if you have a slow connection, you can use DAP with resume to download. I dont understand why a mom and pop store would have to order them.
    LOL i meant drives but i typed drivers lol

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
    Because all the "local stores" usually have crappy retail brands, and not the top notch goods like most of us more demanding builders prefer. Pretty tough to find a store that sells limited edition motherboards, Asus video cards, rare workstation grade hard drives, coolers, Antec cases, good Cable/DSL routers (what store do you know of that sells REAL routers like Netopia or Cisco)

I order from www.essencompu.com and www.gamepc.com, and usually the next day the package arrives at my office via UPS and gets plopped right on my spacestation. I don't have to waste my time or gas driving to several mom and pop stores to see if they have it in stock, or drive to the city to deal with some pimple faced nose picking red vest wearing superstore/CompUSA kid.

For me, doesn't get any better than that. Takes about 3 minutes to do all I want, cuz my time is valuable.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Takes about 3 minutes to do all I want, cuz my time is valuable.
    3 minute man.. are the ladies happy with that too??
    Fdisk?
    It only take me one beer to get drunk...just not sure if it's the ninth or tenth one