Thread: windows won't start

windows won't start

for most people here this may be a minor problem to cure.i hope someone will help.
    started with windows would not shut down,so i just cut computer off.
    when i restarted 24 hr later windows will not load.i can boot into safe mode and have tried a lot of things in windows help.some i did not feel comfortable doing.have also used restore disk during start and it showed quick restore like maybe it was getting some files but still nothing.
    i am running wind `98se.
    thanks in advance any advice or help.

Re: windows won't start

Originally posted by Ronny
    for most people here this may be a minor problem to cure.i hope someone will help.
    started with windows would not shut down,so i just cut computer off.
    when i restarted 24 hr later windows will not load.i can boot into safe mode and have tried a lot of things in windows help.some i did not feel comfortable doing.have also used restore disk during start and it showed quick restore like maybe it was getting some files but still nothing.
    i am running wind `98se.
    thanks in advance any advice or help.
    it sounds like one of the krnl .dll files may have gotten corrupt.

have you tried "system file checker" ?

in accessories/system information/tools
    see if you can run that in safe mode.
    see what it finds.

it got me out of alot of jams when I was using 98se alot.

looking back over some notes i made while trying to get it going i found an error code of 014005001 that i wrote down.also something about dl_insp.dll and also check version of dl
    will hook it back up and give your suggestion a try. sure glad i still have my old packard bell,it has never gave any trouble

Originally posted by Ronny
    looking back over some notes i made while trying to get it going i found an error code of 014005001 that i wrote down.also something about dl_insp.dll and also check version of dl
    will hook it back up and give your suggestion a try. sure glad i still have my old packard bell,it has never gave any trouble
    ya ronny thats cool you wrote it down ,because in sys file checker,you can restore just one file also,instead of going through the whole thing.

well i am striking out on finding that file even on a `98se disk. i know part of the problem is compaq but i $0 invested in it.it was gave to me by a company i did some contract work for when they broke the contract without the required 30 day notice.
    the file does not show up when i do a sys file checker

They gave you a Campaq for that? Are you sure you didn't break the contract to get one of those pieces of crap? Those are the worst machines. I suggest doing a soft re-install of Windows, should fix and dll problems and fix corrupted system files. If it doesn't work you are only out the hour it took to do the re-nistall. And doing this will not delete anything as it will just overwrite files that should not have been changed in the first place.

can that be done from safe mode? also how do i get cd drv available in safe mode.
    i knew i would get some good laughs from saying the word c....

this is driving me up the wall trying to get that thing to load windows.its not much of a computer but it is the best i got right now.before this it has run good for 18 months i have had it.

Id format it and forget.. see'ings how youve had the same OS on there as long as you have had it possibly longer when the others have had it...

A format will definetally fix those problems

ииии

ииии

i reformated last feb and all was doing good until sat nite. i can only get into safe mode so can i format from that? i have also tried putting in restore disk when starting and it runs,gets some files and still stops before starting windows

not sure what i did right wed but i just turned it on and windows loaded ok so far.
    thanks to all for helping me out.