Thread: Static IP addresses on Linksys router

countyroad55

Question Static IP addresses on Linksys router

My system:
    Pentium 2 400/384 Ram server running Windows 2000 Server & 3 x Pentium 1.3/256k ram computers running WinME connected to a Centurytel Winspeed DSL modem, Linksys BEFRS41 DSL router/hub and a Linksys 10/100 hub (although I know this is not really needed, but is handy for future casual LAN use).

The problem:
    To be honest, it's a purely gaming problem. Some of the games we'd like to play do not support multi logon on one IP address. So I have purchased an six static IP addresses from the ISP.

Can anyone, step by step, tell me how to set up the server, router and PC's to connect to the DSL showing each computer to have it's own static IP address. I have already set each computer to have it's own IP address, but when it hit's the router, the default static IP address identifies to one and all that I'm a multi logon on one IP address!

Do I need different hardware (someone else's solution - Cisco 800 series router), extra static IP addresses (yet another idea from someone else), kill the Linksys router or just give up?

Help?

Return your router. Just hook the cable modem right into the hub and all computers will obtain one of your six ip addresses automaticly

You may want to buy a big switch (8 ports atleast) for that many computers...

countyroad55
    I plug the modem directly into the uplink on the hub? What do I do with a switch? You are way ahead of me on this! Can you be more specific? This kind of networking is over my head (obviousy!)

Talking lose the linksys

hes right,

The only reason to have the linksys router is to share one IP and hide the rest of your machines behind it. Since all of your machines have their own unique IP addresses there's no need for it.

A switch is similar to a hub but unlike a hub, which shares the total ethernet bandwidth (if its a 10Mbps hub then all four/eight/sixteen machines connected share that 10Mbps and only one can send info at a time), a switch allows each computer to have its own ethernet segment (meaning each machine has 10Mbps of bandwidth all connected by a backplane within the switch) so the switch provides faster speeds to each computer.

If each computer has it's own IP then you can plug the modem directly into the uplink of the hub or switch and everything should work fine. All you have to do is set the TCP\IP settings that your ISP gave you (gateway, DNS, subnet...) on each machine, changing only the IP address for each one so they are unique.
    me fail english?....that's unpossible!