Thread: Ports

Ports

Is there an internal port scan of any type? This blinkin router business has me paranoid. I knows it the Red Worm stuff, but I have an app that says my number 80 port is open. I'd like something that I can look and see whats going in/out, and possibly soemthing to shut down problematic ports. Thanks y'all.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Bump...cmon, I'm dying to know more.

Outrage69

Talking

My Router and modem just stopped blinking about 5 minutes ago.. was freakin me out to .. but I wasnt getting scanned .. no data was being sent in or out of my modem ... it was really weird .. Alot of NG's are talking about it right now

SG Enthusiast
    Get zonealarm. http://www.zonelabs.com . Its free and it filters inbound and outbound traffic. Simple configuration, too.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Outrage69

Unhappy I have ZA

I have it and ran it while it was happening and no DATA was coming in now out .. just my activity light on my modem and router were blinking

do you guys have cable modems, dsl or what? i have an idea of what it is.....im kinda curious
    me fail english?....that's unpossible!

Outrage69

Unhappy Cable modem with a Linksys router

Cable modem here .... on a Linksys router

well if you have port forwarding and DMZ turned off ZA isnt going to get anything even if you do get scanned, the linksys just drops everything. check to see that logging isnt enabled on your linksys. if the linksys is getting scanned and logging is on it will send out the log on port 162 (SNMP-Trap) this could be why both your modem and router lights were flashing

Outrage69

Unhappy they both are on

I have DMZ enabled ... as well as a few ports forwarded to the machine that I am on

I turned ZA on and didnt see any activity at all .. coming in or out

are you sure fireflies didn't land right on your leds and thats what your seeing

jk

im not sure then, try getting a real packet sniffer and see what turns up...

does ZA track ARP, DHCP or other network layer protocols?
    Last edited by Boston_Bob; 08-07-01 at 05:21 PM.

SG Enthusiast
    I have cable on a Linky too. I have enjoyed going through the router logs over the last few days. over 28,000 hits @port80 yesterday.

That activity light just means somethings hitting the modem. If you are behind NAT and have an outbound filter/firewall I wouldn't be too concerned.

ZA is an application level fw and tracks connection attempts based on the application (outbound) or the addy/service/port (inbound). All I have seen is the local traffic on my home network since the router blocks all unsolicited, inbound connection attemps. Poor lonely ZALog. I outta buy him a beer to cheer him up.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Hegie
    port 80 is for http protocol
    just so you know

Yeah, I figuerd 80 was http. But what I'm after is something that lists my ports and lets me know what they are up to. I'm behind a Linky 4 port and run ZA too, I'm pretty safe. But, still I'd like to see what this box is up too, curosity I guess. I only put the Linky in the DMZ when I want to get files from ICQ, and then I crank ZA up to max.

Hegie
    well there is a program called commview it will show...just about everything over ip there site is www.tamos.com