• Network card

7 53.85%
  • 3com card

6 46.15%

Thread: Network Card

wizzy

Talking Network Card

Hi,
    I have ADSL installed withIntel EtherExpress PRO Ethernet ISA network card and i get low speed and a lot of disconnections.
    my question is:
    does the Intel card effect the speed or the disconnections?
    i dont think its 10/100 mb card,its an old one....
    should i replaced the network card?
    can anyone recomanded to me on a good and reliable card?

First of all using a ISA card instead of a PCI card is not good at all. This could prolly cause bad speed, pings and hight cpu usage..

yeah, its probably time to get a pci ethernet card, although there shouldn't be any speed differences between isa and pci, high cpu usage may be slowing u down though

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The good old Intel EtherPro 10....man I used to install those by the hundreds years ago with Artisoft LANtastic networking kits. Oh the memories.

You're poll is confusing though.....the choices are:

A) Network Card
    B) 3COM card

Uh, the 3COM you're asking about IS a network card. You probably meant :

A) Intel NIC
    B) 3COM NIC.

Well, Intel makes a very nice network card. Now I work with 3COM equipment almost exclusively these days, and I'd love to say "Get a 3COM 905 NIC". But you'll hardly realize a performance gain. Depends on what you do.

First of all, your NIC is a 10Base-T. Up to 10 Mb/s. Sure a 10/100 PCI NIC sounds faster, and is. But are you a stand alone computer on broad bandwidth? Or are you on a LAN behind a router sharing an internet connection?

If you're on stand alone connected to the internet, then remember, your WAN connection is 10 Base-T also. At best....your DSL or Cable is around 3 Mb/s, ok ok there are some lucky peeps out there hitting 4, maybe 5, one or two with 7 or 8....but I've yet to see higher than 8. Still, not the 10 or higher. So your NIC is not the bottleneck there.

If you're on a LAN with other computers, you can gain file transfer speeds across the LAN by having 10/100 NICs and hubs/switches in the mix. So going 10/100 will shave a minute or two off of those huge file transfers. Depends on how much you plan on doing this.

If you're a hard core gamer, you can shave a couple of ms off of your ping by going with a more hardware driven late model NIC like a 3COM, NetGear, or Intel. But not much.

What to recommend for your current one? My rule of thumb for everything is get the latest drivers. Sure Windows has PnP drivers for this card, but you'll get better performance using Intels own for this card.....

http://support.intel.com/support/net...o100/21397.htm
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SMC 1211TX ( I love that card and they are cheap )

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    3com 905c-TX

MINES BETTERER
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

3com 905b -TX

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Originally posted by HalfLifer

MINES BETTERER
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

there really isnt any old technology with ethernet cards, sure some of the new ones have a few more features here and there and yeah they may run at 100mbits but unless your on a fast connection you don't need the 100 mbits, 10mbits (about 2.5 megabytes per second) is fast enough for yer needs

It's more like half that speed. Closer to 1.25MB/s or so. 10 divided by 8. (I know that's not the EXACT measurement but a lot closer approximation. I just did that because I know that some newer people will respond because they are setting up a home network and aren't getting anything near 2.5MB/s transfars.

hehe, I am happy when I can get a steady 2,5MB/s on my crappy 100mbit LAN..

We try to correc the newbies when ever possible.
    As far as cable is concerned the only difference between an ISA nic and a PCI nic is cpu usage. Frankly, the difference between intel and 3com is probably the cpu usage. Otherwise, they perform so closely the only way you could possibly tell is by benchmarking. Even then the difference would be so small you could blame it on high network usage.

Highest you could get on a LAN is approximately 12.5. So you are getting pretty low speeds. On my 100mbit lan I get around 15MB (that's right, it's megabytes!). FuLl DuPLeX!
    Last edited by neo86; 08-05-01 at 01:04 AM.

Originally posted by Boosted3si
    It's more like half that speed. Closer to 1.25MB/s or so. 10 divided by 8. (I know that's not the EXACT measurement but a lot closer approximation. I just did that because I know that some newer people will respond because they are setting up a home network and aren't getting anything near 2.5MB/s transfars.
    yeah your right, i got my decimal in the wrong place,

10baseT = 1.25 mbytes

100baseT = 12.5 mbytes

even at peak capacity dont even expect better than 60% of this unless you have two computers plugged straight into each other with a crossover, and then it will never reach the top speed

Originally posted by neo86

So you are getting pretty low speeds.
    That's why I call it a crappy LAN