Thread: HOw to disable Onboard Video card

HOw to disable Onboard Video card

i tried to do this using HP's instruction, but i not sure it works, since my voodoo works, but another video driver (VGA) Has an exclamationn pt next to it, sayint it cant work if there 2 video devices. So what might be wrong, and how would u disable onboard video;.

Can you get into bios? I thought there was a way to set video for agp or pci via a mobo jumper or in the bios settings.

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    The instructions should be in the bios to disable it. Otherwise, it might work like my old compaq did. You might have to download a 'softpaq' or an update. If everything is working properly, I wouldnt bother digging too deep. I know that I couldnt totally remove mine.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

mines automatically disables, although you have to go into the device manager and disable it there also.
    asdf?

Cant disable in bios. There is no update. The the way they tell me to, is go reinstall the driver under a name of standard video controller. Then restart. Then Unchack the box "exist in hardware profile" Except i did all this, and in device manager there is an exclamtion pt there.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Some computers will automatically disable the onboard when they detect another video cards BIOS. Others, you have to hunt through the BIOS to disable them. Look for onboard devices, PCI devices, etc. Hit every menu you can find in your BIOS.

What was the original video card? Did you un-install the drivers for it when you installed your new card? Since you have Standard VGA listed, it's like the driver got removed, and windows detected the video card on reboot, and installed a generic driver. You could try installing the proper driver for it, then disabling the onboard card in Device Mangler....just leave it there with a red X.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by aagiants
    Cant disable in bios. There is no update. The the way they tell me to, is go reinstall the driver under a name of standard video controller. Then restart. Then Unchack the box "exist in hardware profile" Except i did all this, and in device manager there is an exclamtion pt there.
    There is another checkbox named "disable this hardware device" located above the checkbox you mentioned. Perhaps you should check that also. The exclamation mark will become a red "x". But from what I can see, this and what HP told you to do doesn't really disable the device, it's like telling you to close your eyes and pretend not seeing it.

I'd crank open the case and look for suspicious jumpers if I were you. But it is also possible that this VGA simply can't be disabled at all through hardware. So if that is the case and the system is running fine as it is now, just try to ignore that VGA, it should be harmless albeit annoying. I have been living with two sound cards (one of them onboard, sucks but can't disable ) for the past two years and the system is still rock stable.

This was my 1 complaint with HP. The only way to do this is to physicaly change the jumpers on the mobo. As you have probably already figured out, the jumpers are not easy to get to without taking out most of your PCI cards and AGP if present. Go to the HP site under forums and there is a diagram showing what jumpers to change. Once you do that it should be smoooth sailing.

Oh and 1 more thing, after you physically change jumpers to diable onboard video, if your new card is AGP, you need to go into BIOS and under Advanced set video mode to AGP.

Question

You can also go into your system device manger after you have installed your new card. If the old vedio chips on the board and disable it there to. Just go into it properties and turn it off, Thats what I did with my older computer. When I updated it's video card. Most bios have a way to turn them off from the board. Plus some of the newer cards will work with them but. I just turn off the other one from windows,due to bios had no way to turn it off and I was to lazy to to mess with the mother board. It works fine.