Thread: How to flash the bios...

How to flash the bios...

Well. The question is in the title. My next step is a bios update.

I am getting to the end of my rope. Also, a link to an online p3v4x manual would be cool too. Asus's website is very non functional and I see no online documentation.

Thanx in advance.

my bios upgrade fit on a floppy

leave the floppy in the drive and reboot, follow the on screen directions.
    asdf?

She's presenting like a mandrill!

From a previous thread of mine...

Originally posted by Macho-Module
    So how do you update the bios?

I know you get a program and flash them or some such, but I have never done it.

Any walkthroughs, thoughts, or links would be appreciated.
    You want it? You got it. Hey I'm here to help its my job I will write this in sections to help ya

BIOS Flash Upgrade Walkthrough by the_mp3_refuge(a lil full of my self tonight... i think so lol)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intro
    Ok this will teach you how to sucessfully(like we would want to fail) flash an Award BIOS in DOS. In the examples I use I use the file name newbios.bin to represent the new BIOS, and the file name oldbios.bin to represent the old one.
    NOTE: These file names are only examples to help ya understand it. And i thought they seemed easyer to type then like RWB150160.bin

We will be useing awdflash.exe. It's commands are not cAsE sensitive for future referance.

Preperation
    The upgrade needs 2 files from award
    • The New BIOS file (newbios.bin)
    • The upgrade utility (awdflash.exe)

Although u can flash the bios from the HD i'll assume that u put it on a floppy and ur doing it that way.

• Create a bootable floppy disk
    • Transfer the 2 award files onto the disk

WARNING!

Do not interupt the flash utility while it runs! If some unlikely reason the power oges off you need to contact ir mobo maker and say u need a new BIOS chip

Running the Program

• Boot the system with the disk so it bypasses the drivers in config.sys, and autoexec.bat
    • At the DOS command prompt type awdflash and push enter

AWDFLASH.exe cant run if EMM386 or QEMM are loaded

Now you'll get a screen that should look like this(if i cant type/draw good)

===========================================
    -............................Flash Memory Writer v*.**....................... -
    -...(C) 2001 Award Software 2001 All rights reserved....... -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -..For Blah Blah Blah.........Date: 05/18/99...............................-
    -..Flash Type - ........................................................................-
    -..............................................................................................-
    -..File name to program [-----------------]
    -..............................................................................................-
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -Error Message:......................................................................-
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The period mean nothing, just had to eat space, but ya kinda get the idea.

• Type the BIOS (newbios.bin) name into the file name to program box
    • Push enter and it will ask to save the old BIOS, yo do what you want to, I would save it
    • It will ask "Are you sure to program y/n"
    • What you do for that is up to you
    • Once the program finishes you should see 7FFFF OK
    • You have just flashed your bios

Ohh man thats a lot of typing. Hope it helps. Peace:2cool:
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."--Steve Prefontaine

Thanks all. I will try this stuff as soon as I get home.

Just pray that new bios fix our comp problems. I have already downloaded updated sound card drivers and cd rom drivers too.

Hopefully something gives.

Advanced Member
    download the new bios, it should have the award flash upgrade with it, extract to a foulder and check you have all the main files.

now get a floppy disk insert in to drive a. right click on the a drive icon, then click format if its not been formatted then do it. if or when u have done this, u will need to make the floppy a bootable disk. just click copy system files only, then go back to your bios zipfile and extract to floppy drive a.

at the command prompt type RUNME.BAT

the .BIN file should alrdy be named in the award writer. you can now back up the old bios anyname u want. u will see what to do next.

when its done turn off your pc, take out the mains lead and clear cmos, and turn on pc.

at this stage i let it boot on the cpu 500 setting, saw everything was good and reboot and set up the bios.

it was my first time flashing bios, and this way work for me, good luck.