AMD K6
    Windows XP Pro
    400 Mhz
    192 SDRAM
    ADSL P.P.P.o.E

its just what happens. If you upload fully your download is going to sufer

yup
    2.53 ghz p4 512mb ram. Windows XP Pro

Welcome to residential ADSL service at it's best. Unfortunately, there is little you could do to remediate this native limitation. ADSL operates on a shared digital channel, which means that it uses the same digital pathway for both your downstream and upstream data, like a typical analog dial up modem would via the PSTN. ADSL technology was designed with the frame of thought that residential users would typically download more than they would upload, unlike symmetrical DSL which offers symmetrical speeds both ways on a dedicated digital line. A true broadband line, like SDSL, offers a two-channel dedicated digital line, one for downstream and for upstream, so that downloads do not affect your uploads, and vice versa.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web

Originally posted by MosDef112
    Welcome to residential ADSL service at it's best. Unfortunately, there is little you could do to remediate this native limitation. ADSL operates on a shared digital channel, which means that it uses the same digital pathway for both your downstream and upstream data, like a typical analog dial up modem would via the PSTN. ADSL technology was designed with the frame of thought that residential users would typically download more than they would upload, unlike symmetrical DSL which offers symmetrical speeds both ways on a dedicated digital line. A true broadband line, like SDSL, offers a two-channel dedicated digital line, one for downstream and for upstream, so that downloads do not affect your uploads, and vice versa.
    DSL isn't the only connection that is subject to this.

xelloss, you're experiencing this b/c downloading requires acknowledgment packages to be sent. Thus, if you saturate your upstream, you're down stream will suffer. And vise versa.

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Nothin to do with your connection, its the nature of TCP/ip. For every few uploaded packets, a downstream packet is needed for acknowledgement, and etc.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

Banned
    this link should help clear up for you why this happens

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/#Asymmetry

:2cool:
    Last edited by rodrod5; 07-11-01 at 06:36 AM.

*** In response to glc1 ***

Acknowledgement packets, that including error-correction and signaling, are part of overhead and do not really comprise as part of the download/upload limitation unless massive data transfers occur. On a 128K upload channel, massive data transfers isn't likely to happen. This holds true for narrowband connections, nevertheless.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web