Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Freezes..possible causes?

Computer Freezes..possible causes?

Hey all..Ok I have my System up and running pretty good. I have done the SG cable patch. My connection is just flying now. I have removed junk from my system tray..alot of resources are free. It boots up fast and shuts down fast.

The only very annoying problem I have is my whole PC will freeze up. It happens 98% of the time when Im using IE 5.1(happened with 5.5 too) It has me baffled cause Ive been keeping my pc very clean.. Defragging alot/using window washer ect.

It just likes to lock up when Im surfing...usually when Im scrolling a page....sometimes when its loading the page. Im thinking it is either:

1- IE is crap 2-Maybe my firewall?(I use ZA) 3-could it be my mouse? (Maybe I need a driver for it??) 4-video card related?
    5-Maybe I need more Ram(I have 128 though) shouldnt lock up this often...

Ive read a few ppl having the same problem.. any Ideas?

Win98SE
    128 mb SDRAM
    ATI Xpert 99/2000 32mb

Most likely caused by your ATI drivers.

SEE THIS

It could also be cause by McAffee Anti-Virus -

HERE

thanks for the info

Hey man thanks for those links..Just so happens I do use Mcafee and ATI. Looks like i owe you a million bucks..hopefully I can resolve this. Have a good day

Tweakfreak***

send check to:

PO BOX 1234
    Falls Church, VA 22042

make check payable to:

Needy Family

Zone Alarm has had some issues with lockups also running with different software.

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    any idea which software that might be? Sometimes I have issues with lockups, althought not too often since I replaced an ide cable.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Zonealarm

I am not sure what software, but when I uninstalled ZA my pc ran better!

Originally posted by TonyT
    send check to:

PO BOX 1234
    Falls Church, VA 22042

make check payable to:

Needy Family
    Unreal Tournament Clan |sFX|

|sFX|AD
    Chairman, Defense

I have the exact same problem as tweakfreak, except I'm not using an ATI card or McAfee anti-virus. Upon loading a new webpage (and sometimes even when I'm idling) my computer will freeze up for roughly 4-5 seconds, then resume operations as if nothing happened. I was originally told this was a problem with a Win2K service called QoS. this was supposed to be fixed with SP2, but it didn't do any good.

I had a random "freeze" problem after I built my system and after a thousand posts I finally figured it out. I have to increase the core voltage a tad and it never froze again.

Tbird 850
    256 Mushkin Rev2
    Geforce2 MX
    Enermax 350 PS

Also check and see if beside though two softwares that maybe conflicting. Try checking your start up list. Or some of your other software. I use both and have no problems at all. Plus you could possibly have a bad memory chip or you are over heating. Just a few other things that will cause this. Zonealarm will cause this on some computers when they go renew the lease for the Ip. That was my problem so I switch firewalls. GoodLuck!

update

Hey guys just wanted to update my little freezing problem. I was using IE 5.1 at first ..had alot of random freezes and was very sluggish.
    Ok so I switch to IE 5.5..same thing. I also updated my ATI drivers ect..no help either. I tried using Opera(great browser)and it didnt crash once. But I'd rather use IE until Opera perfects their Java. So I tried IE6 beta..(nice browser btw) but it still froze up!. Just about half an hour ago I closed my Zonealarm....hmmm and guess what..It hasnt froze me up yet. I find this confusing cause I have used ZA for awhile but never really had these lockups problems. Whoever suggested it might be zonealarm I think you were right. Which brings me to my next question. Which Firewall would you guys reccomend? Should I go with Sygate or Tiny?

I think its time for me to say buh bye to ZA

Hmm
    Unreal Tournament Clan |sFX|

|sFX|AD
    Chairman, Defense

Whoever suggested it might be zonealarm I think you were right.

HAHA! I win the million dollar question! I would try Black Ice...I used it for awhile and I do not think I had any freezing or misc. problems from it.

Talking my final update

Hey guess what? It wasnt my Firewall after all. I took ZA off and my freezing webpages stopped for awhile but they came back. After pulling all my hair out, I think I have finally fixed this annoying little problem. I was having some strange type of conflict with my ATI Drivers, Internet Explorer & DirectX 8. After updating my ATI and reinstalling IE wich did nothing to stop the hangups..I ended up taking a long shot and going back to DirectX 7.0a. I did this last night and I havent experienced any webpages freezing up. The reason I think it was my directX is because I have used this exact same setup for awhile (ati 6292 drivers with IE 5 &5.5)and never had problems. The only thing I changed was updating to directx8 (which didnt cause any problems right away) Hopefully this can help other people with ATI cards with the same problem. Until ATI comes out with some compatible drivers, stick to directX7.0a or vice versa. Im ramblin./// blah blah...cya

TweakF

I'll be back if i'm wrong(again)
    Last edited by tweakfreak; 07-22-01 at 05:47 PM.

Did you try this?

Method 2

To work around this behavior, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type system.ini, and then click OK.

3. Add a DevBMP=0 line to the [Display] section of the System.ini file.

4. On the File menu, click Exit, and then click Yes when you are prompted to save the changes.

Restart your computer.

I still want a million $$$$$!

Unhappy arrrg

bah I appear to be wrong once again. Frequent freezes/lockups still! when I use IE 5, 5.5 & 6.

Im just going to reformat this sob and put Win 2k on soon

Tony: Ive tried that already

Crump: Check is in the mail

fo0l
    i am having the same problem, i am stuck on using netscape. I am about to try the directX7.0a solution brb... to tell ya what happens.