Thread: Docsis cable modems?

Docsis cable modems?

Can someone please explain what exactly a docsis modem does that a standard modem doesn't? I believe that I have a standard modem since I got it over 2 years ago. Would a docsis modem be faster?

Thanks for any help.

It might be in your area. DOCSIS sets an open standard for modem manufacturers so their products will work with (almost) any ISP with a DOCSIS cable headend.

When a DOCSIS modem registers on the cable network, a customer profile is transferred via TFTP to the modem - which can contain such info as speed caps, etc. If you're capped you probably won't notice a difference.

I have a 6 year old motorola cable modem (non docsis) and is still runs @ close to 10Mbps at times.

Thanks guys. I rent my modem and was just curious if I should contact Comcast @home to see if I could get a newer one.

Originally posted by hoov
    Thanks guys. I rent my modem and was just curious if I should contact Comcast @home to see if I could get a newer one.
    You'll most likely have to get a DOCSIS Modem soon, but it depends on the ISP.