Thread: Opening certain ports on a router firewall

Question Opening certain ports on a router firewall

I have a D-Link 4-port router and my firewall is causing some problems with GameSpy Arcade. For example, the program will crash and I usually will lose my ICQ connection while updating game servers. Anyway, I have the list of TCP ports I need open for Arcade to run properly but I don't know how to open them. Is there a program I can download to do this because I couldn't find anything in the router software.

Thanks

Sure there is.. Your router should include IP forwarding or NAT capabilities, which is what you would use to enable incoming connections on the ports you need open. Check for these items on the software.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web

There is something called Static Routing Table that has fields to enter IP address, subnet mask, and gateway IP address. Is this what you're talking about? If so, what if I just know the ports?

Thanks

Nah.. Not quite.. Static routing table is used to map certain public IP addresses from within your LAN and behind your firewall, to the Internet. Unless you have multiple IP addresses, this really won't help you. Try looking for anything that says anything about NAT, or IP forwarding.

I looked all through the software and manual and the only thing I could find was a section in the manual about opening the correct ports and turing on the DMZ feature. I found this under Virtual Server Settings but when I selected ALL from the list of IRC, HTTP, E-Mail, etc I wasn't able to connect to any servers. There's no where in the software to open ports manually as far as I could tell.

Might as well try DMZ on the PC you're trying to run the games on. DMZ feature makes one PC behind your firewall get access to the net as if it were directly attached to your CPE. Try it, it's worth a try.

I'll test it out and let you know how it works.

Alright. I'm using the DMZ thing and I tested a few games out. Baldur's Gate II worked fine but Counter-Strike wouldn't connect to any servers, just kept retrying...

There ya go.

Ummm...ok