Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security Test Sites...

Great list Ken.
    I have just upgraded to WinME from W98 and my son has set the study up with his PC and networked into mine. All new to me this networking but I will cope.
    I went to ISS and checked it out. The scan works on WinME even though there is no listing for it.
    Then I went to Netfarmers. I think the site is no more. There is only an error page after the homepage. Sad really because that was a fun place to send the unsuspecting. Hope it comes back although it has been out for quite some time now.

Tread softly,
    Croc.

Ken this should be archived
    Windows has not yet detected a keyboard. Press any key to continue.

ken i've been to most of these sites before, they all seem to be very good and usefull. DSLreports is one of the best. And yes i think it should be archived too.
    Last edited by DiskDoc; 06-25-01 at 10:33 PM.
    Share What You Know, Learn What You Don't.
    RapSource.Com

thanx you very much ken!!

Did the dsl test and it said :

Conclusion: Healthy Setup! We could detect nothing interesting on any of the default ports on your IP address. Your computer appears to be a hard target. Well done!
    ALL TCP
    FILTERED No response (open or closed) to an open request was received.
    ALL UDP
    FILTERED No response (open or closed) to an open request was received.

My zonealarm is doing a good job
    ~Silence, the final frontier, Where no woman has gone before~

my computer itself is doing a good job. running no firewalls at all. doen't even have a virus scanner installed at the moment. :P
    Share What You Know, Learn What You Don't.
    RapSource.Com

Talking

Thx Man

!!!Your Computer-You Just Dont Know It YeT!!!

Thumbs up

Thanx Ken

Yes this should deffinetly be archived

Anybody whanto test weather or not your computer is stealth (Invisible to the outside world) or if your ports are open and vunrable goto the links that ken provided.
    great way to see how secure your pc actually is once agin Thanx Ken Great Stuff~!
    !!!What Man Can Make
    Man Can Brake!!!

Windows XP ( Service Pack 2 )
    Pentium 4 (3) GHz
    2.00 GB of RAM

** Zone Allarm Pro
    ** AVG Anti Virus
    ** Cookie Wall
    ** Pop Up Stopper
    ** Spy Bot
    ** Spy Ware Blasster
    ** Add Aware se Pro
    ** Ccleaner
    ** Clean Up
    ** Port Bloacker
    ** Tweek UI WIn XP
    ** Port Scanner

Dialup 56k
    DialUp-Syd.IPrimus....56k(Motorola internal Modem)

Thumbs up

My SMC 7004BR is as always performing beautifully. I never worry about security now. I share all my drives without passwords between my computers and even have easy passwords on all my Administrator accounts. I have never had a problem. I even gave some jerk on IRC my IP address so he could take a stab at my machine and he could not.

Thanks guys for the advice on the SMC awhile back.

Originally posted by Scum333
    I have never had a problem. I even gave some jerk on IRC my IP address so he could take a stab at my machine and he could not.
    That was a bold move!!!!
    Hope the "jerk" doesn't read Speedguide Security Forum!
    He may invite the 13 year old that did the DDOS on Gibson Research to play with ya. Still
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

HOLY BATMAN!!!!

Hey Scum
    That is good that you have the SMC...but that only stops "INCOMING" and it uses NAT. While it will stop most script kiddies and "PINGS", you have to bear in mind that you still need a good AV and Trojan Cleaner. It is pointless to close the barn door after the horse has left the stable, so I would suggest that you get a good software firewall (ZA, or ZAPro or Tiny) so that your PC is protected against both "incoming" and "outgoing" .
    With the speed of PC these days a software firewall will not show any appreciable slow downs......
    Just a suggestion...
    PEACE
    A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

oh fredra, you are totally right on that one. I do scan my computer always for trojans and viruses via the online free ones that are around.

thanks

madlaker

Thanks

For the sites, this place rocks!!!

I have limited input on some:

Shields Up is pretty basic. I suppose it's good for alerting you to glaring problems but if you pass this without effort it doesn't mean you're home free.

Sygate. I really like this site. It's very easy to get right down to business and they have several different tests... the ICMP isn't enabled yet as far as I know.

Vulnerabilities. This place I can't figure out. They have a free test that seems pretty extensive; you give them your email address and they send you a report. Thing is, I've run that test 3 times and only got an emailed report one time. Other two times I never heard anything from them or got any results. Funniest thing was that the report I did get notified me they had uncovered my computer and workgroup name, yet the names they listed on the report bore absolutely no resemblance to mine.

Virtual Suicide. Heh heh heh... this one is worth a visit. I haven't taken any of their 'tests' and don't ever plan to, but I recommend it!

Didn't notice Security Space in your list. They have several free and (very) specific tests available.

MedicBob

Talking

Thanks, I have been to, or am planning to be at, several of those sites. Nice place here:2cool:

www.pcflank.com is also a very good test. I wish I could get my privacy to full but its always 50%. Anyone got ideas how to fix it.
    I think I've done enough conventions to know how to spell Melllvar.

Ken:
    Thank you for the links – they have been a big help in fine tuning and understanding TPF

MrTRiX:
    Great site! (www.pcflank.com) After visiting greEd’s page and checking out his ‘current project’, I was ready for this site. Besides a tight firewall, I blocked cookies, referrers, java applets and javascript. My filter log for this site shows it blocked 1 cookie and 71 javascripts. The firewall log was real interesting to review.

No Prob. Glad u liked it. 1st time there it gave tiny quite a run for its money cause of some errors that were fixed in beta 1. If u want u could say your firewall and such during the test. Maybe it can help others or bring up questions. Such as how to get that Privacy thing to its best. 50% was all I could get.
    I think I've done enough conventions to know how to spell Melllvar.

Sr_Matanza

Lightbulb It isn't perfect

You may think that you have stopped anyone from messing with you..... but it isn't so....
    An example:
    Mi static IP address is: 63.164.235.10 ...... I don't worry about telling it... because it is IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE EVEN PING me... they would never find it.

But the problem doesn't end there.... I do have perfect security from that...... but anyone within my network ( that uses the same ISP ) can logon into my Windows ... I know so because I got into someone else's PC ( with read- write permissions ) in about 15 minutes...... all I had to do is a scan for that port 139 in my local network ( 10.2.x.x ) and I got hundreds of PC's waiting to be accesed... I even got into one that had a Web server ( I left a suprise there ). So you ain't fully secured..... NEVER.

Smithfield, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    Ken.. thank you for listing those links to security sites.. I tried 12 sites and YES it took a LONG time but I consider it worth it..
    3 Of the sites got the WRONG IP address and they said that I had port 23, 80, 113 open.. which I havent, I run Zone ALarm Pro on this Machine and it is configured to be at HIGH security settings.. But I did them. PC Flank was the one that got me.. there are three tests and TWO passed good but the Browser one FAILED.. bummer... I am using IE6 build 2512 also.. oh well I will have to look at that further.. again Thanx Ken :2cool: