Thread: Any difference in these cable modems?

Unhappy Any difference in these cable modems?

Hello everyone -

Got @home service and they say they only support the Motorola Surfboar3100 and the Toshiba PC1100, PCX1100 and PCX1100U. Am I going to notice anything speed wise between these different modems?

If not the Motorola SB3100 is the cheapest.

Thanks,

Brian

You won't notice a difference.

Dead Issue
    Last edited by ba542; 06-19-01 at 08:10 PM.
    Win2k / Win98se Millenium /FAT32
    P3 800/133 Abit BX1440 Raid
    768 / CAS-2 Crucial
    Geforce II Hercules
    150 meg HD Racks
    Yamaha 16x10x40 +
    72x Kenwood
    17' HP Monitor
    5 PC Network

We tested Nortel, Samsung, RCA, Motorola, Cisco modems in our lab... no noticeable differences.

thanks Now I see that motorola has a newer 4100 modem... only difference I see with that is "5x faster processor to handle QoS (Quality of Service) and advanced IP filtering" and it has both USB and RJ-45 connection.

Get the Motorola Surf Board and stay away from USB connections for it. Use a NIC. I've used the Tosiba PCX 1100 and it worked okay, a little slow during recycling. I use the Surf Board and it's great, fast recycling, great speed.

TD
    I'm everywhere you want to be.

Gee, I find it rather amusing that I have a store bought 3Com modem and I'm on @home. I also have a buddy on @home and they gave him the same 3Com Home Connect Modem. I think what you are confusing is that @home only supports the DOCSIS standard, and only certain proprietary modems support the same standard, although most should!
    Last edited by JawZ; 06-19-01 at 06:50 PM.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Old ones cant, thats why its called a "new" standard.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

Originally posted by HalfLifer
    Old ones cant, thats why its called a "new" standard.
    Hence DOCSIS! you verified my point! Thanx

older modem were not DOCSIS certified or compatible although some did firmware upgrades.

But any DOCSIS compliant modem will work!

Thats why you are free to buy your modem...as long as it is DOCSIS certified.

well

well, the toshiba pcx1100u has a usb connection also, that may help u if one day u need to plug a computer into the internet that does not readily have a NIC... otherwise the pcx1100u has no advantage over the PCX1100.. i would like to say that i have had toshiba modem now for 2 years+ and havent had a single problem, i would certainly reccommed the toshiba.

the cheapest plan is probably just to lease ur modem from ur isp, considering all the factors..

supercool™

Banned
    they say they only support the Motorola Surfboar3100 and the Toshiba PC1100, PCX1100 and PCX1100U

well first if YOUR cable company told YOU that they will only let you buy one of those modems you listed then i would choose between one of those and one of those ONLY

1. your cable company might only have the config files for those modems in their servers to hand out to tell your modem how to sync and pass traffic

2. the PLANT in your area might have specifications that BEST support those particular modems ... see this article

http://www.cabledatacomnews.com/cmpc/

http://www.cabledatacomnews.com/cmpc/results.html

it seams the INTERLEAVING can have an effect on the performance of the modem............. honestly this is kinda CABLESPEAK to me i an not the HFC expert like i should be but honestly i dont think you would see a differance in performance as a user

3. your cable company might just want to be dik heads and refuse to provision any modem but one of those brands

yes all docsis modems should play on all docsis systems, but the real world is not CABLE LABS labs and why take the chance that your cable company will not let you use anything differant??

i think all the modems listed are quality modems and i would tell someone to make the choice based on cost... BUT WARNING POLITICAL RANT COMING

I HATE TOSHIBA AS A COMPANY YYYYYYY???? because in the early eighties they sold high tech milling equipment to the soviets to make ultra quite submarine blades.... so i cant forgive them for a cold war back stabbing that is me......sorry PURCHASE A MOTOROLA/GI SB3100

ALSO what ever you do i would stay away from any brand modems DIRECT USB connection THE MODEMS ARE GOOD, BUT THE DRIVERS SUCK go NIC

also another intersting link on modem performance, but the modems discussed are NONDOCSIS still interesting

http://shoprogersfaq.custhelp.com/cg...J74HSV3H4FENRE

Last edited by rodrod5; 06-20-01 at 01:54 AM.

Rod...thats very useful info, thanx. My point was just to show that I'm on @home also. I bought my modem and all they required was that it be DOCSIS compliant. My buddy just got the @home service and what did they bring? The same modem I have...a 3Com Home connect. Thats why I think is sorta BS that they are telling him that they only support 3 modems? If that were true, why would they setup my friend with a 3Com?

Maybe they have a new partnership with Toshiba and want you to buy or lease their equipment. Hmmmm, interesting stuff.

Banned
    yea UOD2001 i agree you should be able to get any docsis modem, but they at best have some performance reason for saying to use only those......and at worst just wanna be that way and there is probably no way to ever really know

the good thing is those specific modems are not overly expensive compared to most

oh sorry hope you did not mistake the smilies in the other post to be directed to you or anyone else I JUST LOVE SMILIES???

:2cool:
    Last edited by rodrod5; 06-20-01 at 02:18 AM.

Originally posted by rodrod5
    oh sorry hope you did not mistake the smilies in the other post to be directed to you or anyone else I JUST LOVE SMILIES???
    What...you don't want to smile at me! lol...

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!

modems

go with the surfboard modem. it is one of the most reliable modems i have used. i install for @home and i have seen at least five diffrent modems. but like i said, the surfboard is probably the best one.

Contractor *giggle*

Regular Member TeenInternetAddict's Avatar
    Stick with the Surfboard modems. I use to have a Toshiba PCX100 but it burned out on me, got switch to a Surfboard SB3100 and have been happy since. I'm getting 80 to 99 times faster than a 56k at speakeasy speed test servers. At pcpitstop, I'm getting over 8000 megabits down/600 to 769 kbps up. I'm getting lower pings also. If you get the new SB4100, make sure you select ethernet and not usb.
    Computer specs:

Dell Dimension 2350 with a 1.7Ghz Intel Celeron Proccesor, Windows XP Home Edition, 80 Gig hard drive, 768Mb of DDRAM PC2100, CDRW and cdrom. Cox.net at 4Mbps down and 512Kbps up.