Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netgear RT314 - not working after working for first 2 days

Tomhoutx

Question Netgear RT314 - not working after working for first 2 days

Man... I'm about to pull my last 2 hairs out! OK.. here is the deal. Working off of a Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem. Purchased a new Netgear RT314 cable gateway router. Followed the instructions and set up the router using the browser wizard. Both of my puters worked fine for about 2 days, accessing the internet until I rebooted and then no enchilada. I tried redoing the wizard but nothing. When I plugged the modem directly into either NICs, they worked fine. I noticed that the Internet Link/Activity indicator light, on the router, was not on. So, I figured that the router had failed. (I checked and replaced the cables..so that wasn't the problem) I called Netgear support and I spent hours with them. They felt that since the modem was working fine when plugged directly into the puters that the router had failed also. So they sent me a replacement. Well... no change. The internet link indicator light was still not coming on. I then decided to take the router over to a friends who has the same model modem. When we hooked it up, the link indicator light came on and it worked fine. Well...then I started thinking....why would the modem work fine when hooked directly to the computers but not when connected to the router. I called Road Runner tech support and they just told me they they only offered support for their modem and if it works fine connected to the computer directly, that there was nothing else that they could do. So now I'm suspicious that RR has done something to make my router inoperable. Maybe they want me to get another modem but maybe I'm just a little paranoid. If any of y'all have any thoughts or ideas, man I would truly be appreciative.
    Thanks, Tom (down here in water logged Houston) we had 20 inches of rain last night!!!!

check to see if your using a cross over cable from your router to your modem....and if you are.....replace it with a regular eithernet cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Tomhoutx
    No, it's a straight through, not a cross over. Matter of fact, the techs at netgear, actually wanted me to try a crossover when I told them that no, it worked fine with a plain ole ethernet cable, why should a cross over work? But to appease them, I put a short red crossover in there...with no results...which i knew from the get go. But I appreciate your idea and help. Thanks, Tom

Someone posted here somewhere -- I'll try and find it -- that RR is having some kind of freaky nationwide problem of some sorts.

EDIT: Here's the link here: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...threadid=34142 -- Not a whole lot of info there, but that may be causing you problems.
    Last edited by Dakota; 06-10-01 at 07:26 AM.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Tom, when you brought the NetGear over to your neighbors house, did you use the same uplink cable that you use on the WAN port to your modem? Or did you use your buddies? Curious if that WAN uplink cable, which yes I always use a straight cable too in every of my close to 50 broadbandwidth router setups, is good.

On your workstations, after you reboot a workstation, is it sucking up a good internal IP address? The NetGear handed out in the 192.168.0.XXX scope, so you should see your workstations get a .100, .101, .102, etc address, the gateway will be 192.168.0.1, and whatever DNS servers your ISP hands out. You can tell this by going Start ==>Run==> WINIPCFG hit <Enter>, in the drop down menu make sure your network card is selected. Click to "More Info" button to see lotsa goodies.

I haven't had my NetGear for a while, perhaps BlueJetta can help. One had to use Telnet to see this detail, perhaps the latest firmware added this feature. But a current status page that will tell you if you are connected, what your WAN IP address is, DNS servers, etc etc.

I forget how to navigate to that status page, but you should find out where it is, and see if the router is connected fine in your house. Perhaps go over the setup again, do you need DNS host name only, or MAC address spoofing? Is it connected? If not, that's your problem. If so, then something isn't working with the routers internal DHCP service. What happens if you hard code a workstation, meaning static IP, Gateway, and DNS entries.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Everything except filter setup is done off the web pages with the 3.24/3.25 firmware. And the workstations on the router will be numbered 192.168.0.2, .3, .4, etc.

Also, the main Internet LINK/ACT light not being on is a big problem there. If that ain't on, then there ain't gonna be a connect. So that tells us that there's something wrong between the router and the modem since the router works at the friend's house.

It's gotta be a simple cable or something. The router obviously works. The modem works, The computers all work hooked to the modem alone. This all points to cables.

Tom obviously knows how to set it up as they got it working at a friend's house.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

Tomhoutx
    Guys...I know my ethernet cables and have replaced them and checked them. It's not the cables or the jacks. I even talked to Toshiba. They suspect RR is the source of my problem. I would like to try to pin RR down somehow. Does anyone think it's possible that RR would have actually swept me and did something to make the router not be able to operate properly? I'ts a real quandry. Oh.. BTW, I can jack in from one of the local ports on the back of the router and plug that cable into Internet jack and that makes the Internet Activity Lite come on...so thats another test that indicates that something is not coming out out the cable modem that should be. I've just about had it. That and the fact that my car flooded out with the 20 inches of rain that we've had down here in Houston.
    I'm still open to any ideas on how to proceed. I could just go to RR and tell them their modem isn't working properly. But, I might have to introduce some HV AC into the RF in jack first.... LOL
    Thanks Everyone,
    Tom

try spoffing the MAC address of the computer you used to directly connect to the internet with
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Tomhoutx
    Guys, I've spent probably 5 hours or more with techs at Netgear including their Guru on the RT314 and basically, he says if i'm not getting a Internet Link Activity lite, that It's just not getting there from the modem. Cables are fine. I can even get the light to come on if i jump a cable from one of the local out ports back to the internet in port on back of the router. So, it has to be either the modem itself or something that RR has done to keep the router from operating. I think I'm going to try another router from another manufacturer, if I can find one to borrow. I really guess I should try to pin RR down. What would you guys do at this point? I would appreciate hearing anything you have to say.
    Thanks, Tom

Sorry to hear about your rain down there, bummer on the car.

Dunno if you did this or not, but have you tried powering down your cable modem for a while, meaning unplugging it also, as well as your router. Then try powering up the modem, then the router. Try powering them up in different time intervals, and in different orders also, as in try the router first, then the modem. Sounds like a synching problem. I've done one setup where it took a while for the cable modem to synch to a router. It's like the modem has to learn the routers MAC.

You've ruled out faulty cables, you've ruled out the router since it works over your friends house. I guess the only thing left is how your router gets along with the modem.

Did you get to find the "status" page of the web admin, and see if it's at least connecting and getting WAN IP info?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

karitie

Post Thanks for responding

Hi Tom. I thought no one was ever going to respond. My Internet light does light up. I've been messing with the settings and still no luck. I accidentally changed the ip address of the router when DHCP was turned off, but I'm borrowing a serial cable from a friend to fix it. I'm calling AceDSL today. Hopefully they will help me. I'll be following the messages on this thread. Thanks.

welll

tom, did u do the "Wizard Setup"? that is the easiest way... also u say u have both a Toshiba Modem and RR ISP.... on the second screen of the wizard setup, it says "Service Type"... did u choose "RR-Toshiba" as ur sevice type? if not, u shhould try that...

Tomhoutx
    I'm at my wits end.

Yes, I used the Toshiba RR setting and every other combination posible. The problem remains that the router is still not getting the internet link activity light going. As I mentioned earlier, I have a Mac G4 and a PC that I put together running W2k AdvServ. I'm pretty new to the windows OS, believe it or not, but in reading the Event Viewer, it gives the following error. I undestand most of it, but I do not know what DHCPACK means unless it simply means a DHCP acknoledgement. Here is what the description of the error is; The IP address lease 192.168.0.2 for the Network Card 000103320666 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCP message)
    Previous to that, at the same time interval, The following event was recorded; The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{B97D371B-793F-48A4-7B6B90ACE368} was connected to the network and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
    Anyway...This probabbly doesn't help at all. My next plan is to try a Linksys router...in that i've already tried (2) RT314s and just can not get that darn internet activity lite to come on. If the Linksys doesn't work.... then, it has to be an issue with the RR Toshiba modem or RR itself. Again, It seems so strange that my modem works fine when connected directly to either computer and yet, when I take the router over to my friends, who has an identical modem, my router works fine on his system. I've had not only tech support from Netgear practically give up but some of my computer guru friends are stumped as well. I guess its time to try the Linksys.
    Thanks again to all of you for your help. I'm still open to any ideas and/or thoughts.
    Tom

Tom, still haven't seen an answer as to wether you can get to the routers admin page, and if so, can you get to a status page.

Now I'm more curious, because you get a DHCP error. You're running 2K Server also. 2x DHCP servers do not like to co-exist on the same network.

Have you tried manually specifying an IPl, Gateway, and DNS, on one of your computers, and getting to the router that way?

When you network is plugged into the router, what are your Winipcfg stats? Check to see if you're getting the same scope as the router, the correct gateway, and you're getting your ISP's DNS servers.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

karitie

I have to get a serial cable

The serial cable that I borrowed had two male ports so it wouldn't fit into the router or the pc. I'm going to radioshack today to get the right cable. BTW, I have Acedsl with a static ip address and am using 2 pcs one with WindowsMe and the other with Windows 98. I spoken to someone else with AceDSL and they were able to use the Linksys router. It should be the same. If else fails, I think I will have to try the Linksys router, although I've heard better things about the Netgear.

Karitie, what do you need the serial cable for, you can also just use Telnet to access the config of the router. Hyperterminal uses the serial cable, but yeilds the same results as using Telnet which you just need a network connection to use.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

karitie

Messed with the DHCP and the IP Address

I was messing around with the telnet and now I can't reach the router through telnet anymore. That was stupid. I have to get that serial cable so I can use the router again.

If you messed with DHCP, perhaps you turned it off on the router or something. All you should need is to assign your workstation a static IP in the same scope as the router. The NetGear took 192.168.0.1 out of the box, so assigning your workstation an IP of 192.168.0.2 should work fine, 255.255.255.0 subnet, assign the gateway as 192.168.0.1...leave WINS disabled, don't worry about DNS cuz you're not gonna surf the net, just need to get to the router. Reboot your workstation, you should be able to now bring up the telnet on the router.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

karitie

Thanks YeOldeStonecat

Your solution for telneting the router worked! I just hoped my sister didn't get the serial cable, I sent her out for. Now if I can only get the internet connection to work... Thanks.

ceder5

same problem

i have RR, the toshiba 1100U and the rt314, i know what the problem is and now i just need a fix, I had one router that broke during a thunderstorm, i also have had the cable modem hooked up to a different computer. SO now the cable modem has stored 2 MAC addresses. Now that i got my new router back from netgear it does not work. this is because the modem will only recognize 2 mac addresses after that it stops working, hence no light on the router even though the modem shows that it is working fine. i know this is the problem because i've also used the PCX 1000 which has a reset button on the back of it, once that is pressed it resets the MAC addresses and you can go on and hook up a few more computers.
    The 1100U is lacking this reset button, i've tried to unplug the modem for 12 hours without any results, My last option is to try to telnet directly into the cable modem and see if i can reset it from there. Anyone have any idea what the password to get into an Toshiba PCX 1100U cable modem is???

Good luck, let me know if you find a fix

Chris