Thread: Dual boot for surfing

High Country Colorado! Don't Trust anyone under 14,000 feet, Right Mouse?

Cool Dual boot for surfing

I am running a dual boot system with Windows ME this has all my programs and Windows 2000 just for Surfing and IM. I am using NTFS. I have already ran all the tweaks without overclocking (this scares me a bit!) and am getting ready to do the DOS tweaks. I want to remove all the excess stuff on 2000 such as games, calculator, ect. from accesories, and anything else I can from 2000 to achieve a bare bones OS for surfing and IM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the speed thing but have already achieved some really cool speeds from 2000. Unfortunately I live in the mountains and forced to stick with 56K modem but usually connect at 48K
    Christopher

OOps I guess that bag over my head was blinding me! I read a bunch of the old posts and printed all kinds of stuff up. Realized I was erroring on my set-up so switched to dual boot windows 98 2nd edition and Windows 2000 Pro. Still interested in taking Windows down to just the essentials for IE and IM. You gurus got any suggestions for eliminating extra programs in accessories ect.?
    Christopher

Norm,
    Thanks for the reply and I know from your previous posts that you know lots about computers. I have already unchecked everything in add/remove programs under windows. What I want to do is remove all the things in accesories such as the calculator games ect that came preinstalled with windows I don't even see them listed.
    Thanks for your help,
    Christopher

Thanks Norm!
    Now I'm with you. That was exactly what I wanted to do. Wish me luck the Registry tweaks are next. Downloaded cable nut and created Ram Drive. Now I have to figure out this Regedit stuff. Just wondering is there any need to run a program such as Cacheman after tweaks or does it just add clutter?
    Christopher
    :2cool:

All those are hidden in WINNT/Inf/sysoc.inf.
    Open sysoc.inf with notepad.
    Delete all instances of HIDE
    Do not delete commas.
    Save and close.
    Now all those items will appear in the windows setup tab.
    you can check or uncheck whatever

Originally posted by cstumph
    Thanks Norm!
    Now I'm with you. That was exactly what I wanted to do. Wish me luck the Registry tweaks are next. Downloaded cable nut and created Ram Drive. Now I have to figure out this Regedit stuff. Just wondering is there any need to run a program such as Cacheman after tweaks or does it just add clutter?
    Christopher
    :2cool:

I ran Cacheman for awhile It did not let me cahnge some setting every reboot it would just set them back. So I uninstalled it Didn't like it much it seem to eat more resources to run it than it would free up. One that I got that I like alot is Dr. slomes prower tools for windows. Does not have to be running to work. But tweaking your computer and than adding a program that tweaks it will just set any tweak that you did that the program also tweaks to what it has for the tweak. In my opion its better not to have programs that mess with the setting of your computer.

yeah.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

i know how ya feel having to use 56k. i live in rural area. recently dsl became available but b4 that i got DirecPc <satellite>. You should check into it. I know this is off subject but if you are starting to want speed you're not gonna achieve much through dial-up. probably 5 - 6kb/s max. with dish you can get 50 - 60 kb/s easily. a friend of mine has one still and with tweaks is getting in the 90's. price isn't bad either <about same as dsl or cable>.
    Thanks -
    C Ya

Could somebody tell me the correct way to use the fdisk I have a 25Gb harddrive C that I want to split into two drive retaining my D drive for backups. I tryed putting 2000 on D but then I can't back system up, then I tryed running both 98 and 2000 on C so that D was free for backups but it was not exactly what I wanted. I want to have 98 2nd on one drive and 2000 on a drive and have D free for backups. I know how to get to Fdisk but not quite sure which options to choose once there.
    Christopher

I figured out how to use the fdisk but it is not going to allow me to put in an extra partition like I want so I guess I'll just have to but Partition Comander or Magic.
    Christopher