Thread: Linksys--Can't send Attachments

jodyk

Unhappy Linksys--Can't send Attachments

Hoping some kind soul will help me find a solution to my router issue. I have a Linksys router all set up working great except for 1 major issue--I can't send attcahments in email or FTP files over 1k. Folks at Linksys support are of no help--they're stumped. When I send an email with an attachment it freezes and then gives me a network connection was dropped error. For example--if I send a 41k word doc it stalls in the beginning of the send at 4 percent if I send a big file it stalls at 0%. If I attach a 1k pixel gif it will go. By the way, I also can't FTP. I'm dying to make this thing work, so any help you can offer would be great. Just as bck grd info. I'm using a MSPG ADSL with a Speedstream 5660 adsl modem.

Icannaedoit

It aint the router, mine works great. Never had that trouble. I might start by suggesting you take a hard look in the registry, for some out of whack TCP-IP entries. JMO

jodyk

Are you using MSPG? Examining the registry is sort of beyond my scope of abilities--any suggestions? Anything you can tell me will be helpful. Thanks.

Jody

booga

I had a similar experience having trouble with sending mail with attachments. I changed MTU to 1200 and was able to resolve it.

jodyk

Booga, Nice--up to this point you have presented the most likely scenario; only one problem: How do I adjust the MTU settings? Sorry to come off like a technotard, but I gotta be honest I am clueless. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.Thanks.
    Jody-

Fade

He was correct, nearly any problems where things work great UNTIL you send large chunks of date, it's usually the MTU. It can be the MTU on your machine, or the router if it has that setting also. I do not have the Linksys router so I cannot help you there. For your PC, try one of the programs linked from this site like iSpeed. It will show your your current settings and let you change them.

-Fade