Thread: Question on how to netwrok 4 PC's with one IP adrress from the cable modem?

Cablemodemboy

Post Question on how to netwrok 4 PC's with one IP adrress from the cable modem?

Currently I have one server which has two network cards, one which has DCHP enabled for the cable modem to give its only address, the other network card is to talk to my 2000 machine a NT workstation and a 95 machine. All the clients I have assigned IP's to, I am wondering how to make my NT server act as a router with its two network cards and allow my other PC's on the inter. Please feel free to add any comments or details. Thanks and have some fun today.

Zman

------------------

glc1

Welcome to Speed Guide Cablemodemboy...

The server's LAN NIC needs an IP and subnet of 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0, respectively. The clients should be steup dynamically. The server also needs ICS -- which is built-in to 98se, ME, and 2k -- or proxy software, such as Sygate.

nikey

easiest way (firewall included) is to buy a Linksys Cable/DSL router. Works like a charm

Cablemodemboy

Cable company won't let me use different modem.

Tom

glc1

Originally posted by Cablemodemboy:
    Cable company won't let me use different modem.

Tom
    You don't need a different modem to use a router, such as the Linky.

Cablemodemboy

Sorry I thought you ment to replace my current modem with a cable modem router. How much does the router you're talking about cost?

Let me know, thanks
    Tom

glc1

Sorry I thought you ment to replace my current modem with a cable modem router. How much does the router you're talking about cost?

Let me know, thanks
    Tom
    That depends, as there is 3 models -- one w/no built-in switch, one w/a 4 port switch, and one w/a 8 port switch. There are other routers that would work for you too. Check out the SG reviews for more info.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-04-2000).]

Doctor Pepe

What operating system do you have on your server with the 2 NIC's in it. If your running Win2k Server or better you can enable routing and set-up the rest of the computers on your network for DHCP and you'll be on your way

cobra25

why not simply use the Internet Connection Sharing option windows has?

Crossafix

Red face

If the server is NT, maybe select IP fowarding in the TCP/IP properties then manually edit the route table, add route command i think? Do not run the RIP service as it would learn and anounce routes to your ISP. this would work as a router. I have never tried it thoughIf the server is WIN2000 you have 2 choices. ICS or NAT in the RRAS snapin. I'm running Win2000 NAT now but cant get MECH4 to run

Crossafix

glc1

Originally posted by cobra25:
    why not simply use the Internet Connection Sharing option windows has?
    NT doesn't have this; only 2k, ME, and 98se.

m5

Originally posted by glc1:

Let me know, thanks
    Tom
    That depends, as there is 3 models -- one w/no built-in switch, one w/a 4 port switch, and one w/a 8 port switch. There are other routers that would work for you too. Check out the SG reviews for more info.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-04-2000).]
    The 4 port Linksys router is about $130 after $20 rebate.