Thread: CCNA Boot Camp / "No Boot"

Aristo

Question CCNA Boot Camp / "No Boot"

I am going to take the CCNA prep class starting January. Did some search on training institutions, some of them offer like 5-day boot camp for like $2500 while some others offer a much longer class (once a week (whole day Sat) for 6 months -- $5k --> CISCO Networking academy) .. well this may be kinna bumb question.. "since the longer the class, the more materials it will cover...".. but which one is better? Those Boot camp prep classes, do they just teach you the stuffs that are asked during the CCNA exam? in other words, much more general, more like an outline? While the other 6-months course, are they worth the time? There are also some CBT classes which cost much less, anyone experience this? any good?

C.M. Weaver

Aristo,

I have answered some of your questions in previous threads you have begun, you can find them here.
    http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000770.html http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000587.html http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000775.html

You have 4 options when preparing for the CCNA Exam:

• Self Taught: There are many resources availble. You can purchase books (I recommend the Sybex book) and practice tests from Boson Software.
    • Boot Camp: 4-6 days where they only HIGHLIGHT the exam objectives.
    • Fast Track: Usually 10 weeks that meet once per week for 6 hours and they jackhammer the material into your head.
    • Cisco Networking Academy: 6 month course that usually meet 2 days per week for 3-5 hours a session. This academy is taught by certified Cisco instructors and with their own cirriculum, which is about 700 pages.

The Networking academy should not cost you $5000 as you posted. Go to your local community college as I suggested before. I posted a training locator URL from Cisco and they did have colleges in San Francisco offering it.

I wouldn't take the Boot Camp unless you have a very solid understanding of networking, the OSI model and Cisco IOS.

The Fast Track is an option for folks who can learn from a fast pace and that read additional materials outside of class.

If you have other questions let me know.

C.M.

[This message has been edited by C.M. Weaver (edited 11-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by C.M. Weaver (edited 11-28-2000).]

Aristo

Red face

Thanx C.M .. . I used you link and located couple networking academys in my area... called up couple of them, Man.. just $5K... 6 months.. kinna too much... but will keep looking, BTW, whaz a fair price? In terms of salary wise, what will I be expecting as a entry level hardware / CCNA? (I'm not expecting them to pay my current salary since I'm not an entry level software guy..)

[This message has been edited by Aristo (edited 11-29-2000).]

C.M. Weaver

A CCNA with NO experience can look at a salary range from $35-65k a year, whereas a CCNP has an $85-$120k a year range.

I payed $2000 for the Cisco Networking Academy at a local community college. I payed $1500 for my CCNP at a discounted rate in a 10 Week Fast-Track course.

C.M.

dmsmed

Speaking of which, how is your CCNP class going? I have my last quiz tonight and then the final in a few weeks.

therealcableguy

I am going to a CCNA bootcamp in a week.$2,500 bucks.A lot of info to learn in such a short time.Feeling kind of pressured.I 'll keep you guys posted as to the quality of the class and whether or not I pass the test on that Friday.Coming from a programming background.(RPG,Cobol,Visual Basic).No networking,this stuff is all new.

------------------
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -Aristotle

C.M. Weaver

dmsmed,

It's going well. Lots of information though to cram into my tiny little head though I will probably be taking my CCDA and the Routing exam for the CCNP either the end of the month for first of January.

Good luck on your final

C.M.

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm I'm taking a CCNA course at highschool rihgt now for free. What CCNP? How bout CCNE?

C.M. Weaver

The CCNP is the 3rd in a series of Cisco Career Certifications. There order is:
    • CCNA
    • CCDA
    • CCNP
    • CCDP
    • CCIE

The CCNP requires you pass for exams to obtain the certificate. Also, there is no such CCNE certificate from Cisco.

C.M.

dmsmed

Thumbs up

Hat's off to Therealcableguy! I'm not used to seeing quotes like that, most bring new meaning to the word "visceral".

"If you cannot express your knowledge in terms of numbers, it is of a meager and insufficient kind". Aristotle

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol damnnnn so many CC** coursez!!

what does each stand for??

[This message has been edited by TigerUpperCut (edited 12-03-2000).]

C.M. Weaver

• CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate
      CCDA - Cisco Certified Design Associate
      CCNP - Cisco Certified Network Professional
      CCDP - Cisco Certified Design Professional
      CCIE - Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert

[This message has been edited by C.M. Weaver (edited 12-04-2000).]

therealcableguy

Hey guys and gals,
    I called my mentor at Wave Technologies and postponed the one week CCNA Bootcamp.I need a little more time to study this material.Found a free site for online learning.Everybody check it out and support it if you like it.They have networking,programming, and PC classes.Here is the link
    http://www.leapit.com/html/welcome.html

------------------
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -Aristotle