Thread: difference betweeen linksys router/switch compared to just the router.

knicks

Question difference betweeen linksys router/switch compared to just the router.

I already have a hub and i wanted to know if i will see a noticable difference if i purchase the router/switch compared to just getting the router and use the hub that i already have.
    I have a 3 pc home network and i use my pc upstairs for vpn's and my pc downstairs for others to game and dload from napster.

thanx for the replies!!

[This message has been edited by knicks (edited 09-17-2000).]

WiK

It alls depends on if you use all 3 computers at once. If all 3 computers share files all the time between each other the switch is going to show a little difference in your speeds. But if the 3 computers are just sharing the internet, without transfering files between each other, then there will be no performance difference if you had the switched router or if you just use the hub with out the switch. So I would just save yourself the money and use your hub and buy the cheaper router without the switch. I use the Netgear RT311 with one port. But I already had a 5 port hub and a 5 port switch.