Thread: Linksys BEFSR41 with Static LAN IPs Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DaBoosh

Post Linksys BEFSR41 with Static LAN IPs Question

Hopefully someone who has successfully set this up can help me.

I have 2 PCs on my network running through the Linksys BEFSR41 router. I want to set it up so that both PCs have static IP addresses. Here's a small checklist of things I've done. Please let me know if you see anything I'm missing...

PC setup
    TCP/IP Properties
    1) Specify an IP address
    • 192.168.1.2 on 1st PC, 192.168.1.3 on second PC
    • Set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 on both PCs

2) Set Defualt Gateway on both PCs to 192.168.1.1

3) DNS Configuration
    • Host: PC1 and PC2
    • Domain: @Home
    • DNS Search Order: What would I put in for this?

Linksys setup
    • Even though @Home recommends I set my PC for DHCP to obtain an IP, they originally gave me a static IP and even though I have it setuyp for DHCP I have always received the same IP. So my question would be, on the Linksys setup screen should I specify an IP address in the WAN IP ADDRESS area? And if so what should I use for Subnet Mask and DNS search order?
    • DHCP; I assume I should disable this if I am setting static IPs on my network, correct?

Advanced Tab
    • Dynamic Routing: I would imagine I should set it to Gateway.
    • Static Routing: Do I need to set anything up here?
    • DMZ Host: After successfully setting this up, I will set my main PC as the DMZ host.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated. Linksys doesn't give too much information on this.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of ports that common application use to save me hours of searching them out manually? (ICQ, Napster, UT, Q3, etc.)

Thanks again for your help in advance.

[This message has been edited by DaBoosh (edited 09-07-2000).]

dissident75

Ok, so you want to setup static IP. Not dificult.

First setup your linksys for dhcp by doing this.

1. On either machine open a browser window and enter your routers IP address, typically 192.168.1.1 then hit enter.
    2. Then enter your password (admin by default with no username). Hit Enter. Will bring you to your setup screen.
    3. Make sure you have the correct name in the name for router box. (probably a cc-something)
    4. Then it will have by default an IP specified for you lan side. Then makesure your WAN is setup to obtain automagically obtain an IP addy. Aslong as you know your IP then your fine (mine has been the same for 2 years.)
    5. CLick apply at the bottom.
    6. Then click the DHCP button at the top and disable DHCP so that you wont have any conflicts later on.
    7. Reset the router.

To Obtain you DNS Search order information do this.

1.Go to your admin screens the same way as above after the router is reset and ready.
    2. Then in these admin screens, click on the status button at the top.
    3. At the bottom of the Screen under WAN there's a section called DNS. These numbers go into the DNS search order in your windows TCP/IP properties. When you finish you'll have to reboot after that you should be all set.

As for the ports, If your putting your main machine in the dmz then you probably wont need those ports.

Hope this helps.