Thread: Wireless panic button recommendations?

Wireless panic button recommendations?

Figure it's a long shot but worth it.

Looking for something an employee in an adjacent building can activate, not respond audibly there but sound an alarm within our main store, 15' away.

Seeing similar things but most are professional contracts with response teams, some are closer to what I'm looking for but activate sirens and strobes with activated call options.

Just started checking out some products for health care that might work.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Reason I ask was a man with his pants around his knees who'd been tweaking outside our shipping room for hours before walking in on a single employee at 9AM when they were there alone.

He eventually left, all good, but scared this **** out of us.

We all have radios, but in the moment they were never used, I think a silent panic button, wifi I assume, would work great in the future if I could find one.

Everything I see tries to call the police or emergency healthcare. I just want an alarm or two.

Blog Entries
    If you want it wireless, I would look for those "caregiver sos/panic buttons" on Amazon, they have 2.4GHz Wi-Fi buttons that can activate a simple alarm on the receiver end.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    We all have radios, but in the moment they were never used

I'm not criticizing you or your staff but that is exactly why these things usually don't work. People panic. If they didn't have the prescience of mind to grab their radio they're probably not going to push a button. Regardless of which direction you pick... some training might be in order.

It's like training for a fire. It is best to train them with a live extinguisher so they can see how they actually work. Most people have no idea of what to expect when they pull that trigger. It can startle a lot of people and they forget what they're supposed to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I'm not criticizing you or your staff but that is exactly why these things usually don't work. People panic. If they didn't have the prescience of mind to grab their radio they're probably not going to push a button. Regardless of which direction you pick... some training might be in order..
    Yep, totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I'm not criticizing you or your staff but that is exactly why these things usually don't work. People panic. If they didn't have the prescience of mind to grab their radio they're probably not going to push a button. Regardless of which direction you pick... some training might be in order.
    As I said, totally agree, but hard to know what kind of training could be useful.

I get it, if I turned from my desk and saw some tweaker with his pants around his knees 15' in the door and 5' away and closing I might forget about the radio or pepper spray. Not likely but it could happen.
    Employee turned and immediately pointed full-arm to the door and told him to leave.

Retail is tough, every situation is different, and a lot of training and common sense go right out the window when something entirely new happens.

More training would help but you can't train for everything.

Suggestions or discussion appreciated of course.

Ordered.

One button for the shipping building and one for the new stockroom building (each about 20' away from our retail store).

Two receivers, 1 for the front counter and 1 for our main office.

If nothing else it's another thing that might help, and is worth it even if it's never used but gives the employees a little peace of mind and knowledge we go out of our way to do what it takes to make them feel appreciated and safe(er).

Blog Entries
    Yeah, even if it works once, or like you said, if it gives an employee some comfort it's got to be worth it.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
    ๑۩۞۩๑