Thread: I'm cutting back on snacks

Thumbs down I'm cutting back on snacks

Lately due to all the economic tensions it seems that manufacturers are shrinking the size of their product portions as a "backdoor" way of maintaining profits. I know this has always gone on but the size reduction is getting ridiculous. The other day I was walking through the market and saw a box of Fig Newtons. I couldn't remember the last time I had had any so I grabbed a box. When I got home and opened it up and these things were barely half the size of my thumb. There wasn't enough to even get stuck between my teeth! What a gyp.

About 2 weeks prior I did close to the same thing and bought a bag of Oreos. Now I know why they sell their "double" filling ones... the regular ones don't have any filling! I'm really not a big cookie eater and these 2 purchases were the first for me in years, but I'm not paying $5 for something that is about 1/2 to 1/3 of what I use to get.

Blog Entries
    My kids are the ones consuming sugary snacks mostly, I do like mixed nuts I guess. I sit on my desk most days, and I am too lazy to exercise regularly, so the compromise that works for me is fewer carbs and snacks. I try to limit my carb intake as much as feasible.. I mostly have liquid carbs with beer

You're right on package sizing, it's even crazier reading those labels "x servings per container", lol. Marketing knows packaging is what sells the products, and everybody today seems to care about short-term bottom line, rather than building brands and retaining long-term customer loyalty :/
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

My Wife is a merchandiser and part of her job is making sure retailers are in compliance with putting out "new sizes". Like said, we have seen continual shrinkage, but the last 2 years it has gotten really obvious. I guess it is a way to superficially keep prices down, but you are still paying more for less. Some of the cereal boxes are still tall so they look good on the shelf, but the box is an inch deep lol.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    Some of the cereal boxes are still tall so they look good on the shelf, but the box is an inch deep lol.
    I noticed that the protein bars we buy at Costco have shrunk. The packets inside the box are the same size except now the bar only fills about 2/3rds of the packet.

Blog Entries
    On the bright side, there are still bucket-sized extra-large drinks at McDonalds

Oif, it sucks and everyone is doing it.

I sell pet supplies and buy direct from people the next town over, family businesses, manufacturers, and suppliers.

Everything from ingredients to fuel and packaging and shipping has skyrocketed in cost.

I buy from a German company that has a handling fee, fuel fee, and transatlantic fuel fee. Free shipping of course (plus the fees).

A lot of our products are now costing more than what we sold them for a year ago...cat furniture, kennels, seed mixes for birds.

To come back to the sizing of your snacks, the latest of a dozen companies just reduced the bag size and jacked the price of one of our dog food lines, sure cat is soon to follow...
    From a 15lb to a 12lb and up $6.

And of course, half the customers that notice are pissed at my store.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Oif, it sucks and everyone is doing it.

And of course, half the customers that notice are pissed at my store.
    Yeah, I try to make a point of not bringing it up or complaining while in the store. I realize that the cashier has no control if a $1.79 bag of chips now costs $2.29.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Yeah, I try to make a point of not bringing it up or complaining while in the store. I realize that the cashier has no control if a $1.79 bag of chips now costs $2.29.
    Appreciated.

I'm buying products now at a cost higher than what I sold them at.

It is unfortunate when people get pissed at the store. As if any retailer can truly set the prices they'd like to.

Off-topic a bit but our local police asked us if we had any footage of the Safeway parking lot out front for a given night.

Over the years we've provided them with footage of theft/assault/tagging/urination/defecation/masturbation/vandalism/arson/firearms/narcotics use...etc.

Turns out we had footage.

Right at midnight a woman with a FULL cart was stopped by an employee halfway to her truck, cause she didn't pay for any of it.

Employee is standing by the cart when she starts her truck up 35' away and reverses into the cart at maybe 10mph, almost hits the employee.

Does a donut and hits the cart again at about 20mph, almost hits the guy both with her truck and the cart.

Comes back a third damn time and veers off at the last second, tears out of the parking lot.

Everyone's pissed about rising prices, we just handle it in different ways!

If she'd just driven off everything would be fine. Happens all day.

Instead they've looked at the the interior and exterior footage of her and the vehicle and are going to make a house call.

Thanks for sharing. There are thieves and there are crazies. The combination doesn't help. Nowadays with cameras being almost everywhere I would think people would think twice before trying anything out in public. But then again, I'm a law abiding citizen so if you want to take a picture of me in your parking lot... go ahead.

(off topic too)

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Nowadays with cameras being almost everywhere I would think people would think twice before trying anything out in public.
    Right?

I have 2 exterior cameras that by themselves have recorded everything I listed above except the firearms.

That was the back parking lot.

Like this guy: https://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...ssault-suspect

Hurt the kid, destroyed a $2500 bike, and broke a $1500 window.