Thread: Download Problems Onedrive

Advanced Member

Download Problems Onedrive

So I use Onedrive to put files onto my Onedrive, then log into my account on a computer I am helping someone with and download that file so I can use it. I go on my browser, Firefox, login to Hotmail, then choose the app chooser and change to Onedrive. I UPLOAD whatever file I'm needing. Then I work thru the remote session with the person I am helping and repeat the process, except to DOWNLOAD the file. But lately one file in particular, a zip file that 1. contains the installer for KMSPICO and the other 2. a zip file that contains the files from the KMSPICO folder in Program Files. I do not understand why it is not letting me download this. I can download other zip files fine. When I try this, I get NO MESSAGE, just nothing happens. Any ideas?

I don't use Onedrive enough to be an expert but aren't there folder level sharing authorizations? Maybe you overlooked something?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Heavy OneDrive user here, and we set up lots of businesses with 365 Business Premium utilizing OneDrive, as well as Teams/Sharepoint (which leverages OneDrive for any syncs).

How large is the file?
    Perhaps some file types are inside the zip file which OneDrive doesn't like. I know OneDrive can get cranky with zip files depending on what's inside.
    Might try uploading the entire folder structure, without zipping it.
    The idea of zip files is to make things smaller, but...OneDrive....really don't have to worry about drive space much.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Well one of the ones that works is 629MB, yet the one that won't work is about 16mb.

Yes one of the problem ones was the full folder structure for C:\Program Files\KMSPICO (just the KMSPICO and it's subs). The other was the KMSPICO installer file, zipped. I think the strangest part is the fact it just chews on it for a moment and then nothing happens. No error message or anything.

And to Easto's comment, all are in the same folder on my OneDrive (shared files). It doesn't show shared, but that shouldn't matter as I login with MY ID, same one I use to put it out there to begin with.

Hmm....dunno.
    This morning I just used my OD4B to upload an 8.9 gig ISO for some server maintenance, to download from a client server.

Try breaking out that ZIP file to another neutral location on your drive, before copying it to OD?
    Also I just create a folder in the root of OneDrive, like "Stuff"...and copy junk into there for sharing. Keep shares and possible shenanigans out of my Documents folder or Desktop. This way, just...that "Stuff" folder or specific folders in the root are created and deleted for short term project sharing.

Latest (or at least fairly current) version of Windows 10?
    And...latest OneDrive client? They recently came out with a 64 bit client, can utilize more RAM.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    So the zip file with the KMSPICO folder structure is 5.699MB. I just uploaded it to a new folder I created and names STUFF. Upload went fine. Now still logged in to MY Onedrive, I try to D/L it and the same thing happens, I click DOWNLOAD and nothing, no error message, doesn't come up and say downloading. It's the weirdest thing. Yet I have a 615MB file out there, the installer files for Office 2013 and it just downloaded fine.

Wonder if you just copy the folder structure itself up....don't zip it. Must be a file type in there that doesn't agree with zipping and OD.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    That'll be my next test.

Advanced Member
    Wow, I was surprised, but it is doing the same thing. It let me copy the folder and all it's contents to OneDrive. When I click download, NOTHING HAPPENS.

UPDATE: on the first try of this, I tried to DOWNLOAD the folder KMSPICO in my STUFF folder and it didn't work. Then I clicked on KMSPICO and could see all the files and folders. I selected ALL and clicked DOWNLOAD and it is downloading but ONEDRIVE is making the download a ZIP file.
    Last edited by Qui-Gon John; 04-04-22 at 06:51 PM.

Sorry if it was mentioned already and I missed it but how many files are there?

Few enough you could shift them one by one to nail down which one(es) are maybe causing the issue, then go from there?

Totally pulling this out, but if there are specific files causing it to hang the entire download, maybe figuring out which ones it doesn't like and then changing the extension could work.

Advanced Member
    There are quite a lot of files, 459 files and 64 folders.

I'm not really sure what the problem may be but I did a little online research and one of the things they said to check was if there were any file permissions that might be holding it back. Sort of what Humboldt was getting at.

Advanced Member
    What is really odd is, once I had the full folder structure (KMSPICO and it's subs), on Onedrive, in my STUFF folder: strange it would not accept d/l when I just click on that and then click DOWNLOAD. But when I double click to open that folder (out on Onedrive), then select all the folders and files and click DOWNLOAD, that worked. And at that point, all on it's own, Onedrive turns that into a zip and lets me d/l it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    What is really odd is, once I had the full folder structure (KMSPICO and it's subs), on Onedrive, in my STUFF folder: strange it would not accept d/l when I just click on that and then click DOWNLOAD. But when I double click to open that folder (out on Onedrive), then select all the folders and files and click DOWNLOAD, that worked. And at that point, all on it's own, Onedrive turns that into a zip and lets me d/l it.
    So you're good, hopefully?

Advanced Member
    Hopefully, thanks all.

I wonder if there was a file AND path name length that was too much. Folders nested within folders nested within folders.
    There is a limitation for the sync client. I don't use the web version much, but I know the web version has even more limits than the sync client.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Maybe, at least could explain when I copied the whole tree out there. Not so sure that should affected the zipped version though. It ought to appear to their server as just one 6mb file.