Thread: I just got a nice little bump in speed

Cool I just got a nice little bump in speed

It looks like Spectrum moved me from the bottom "intro" plan to the mid level plan and I'm getting something like 400/20. That's double of what I was getting before. I just wish they'd tell you when they do this. I'm keeping my mouth shut because I don't want to question it and find they made a mistake and knock me back down again. I'm actually seeing some Speedtest results of 588/30.

Blog Entries
    That sounds great. I use AT&T Fiber in my place, they bumped me up from 300 to 500 Mbps at no cost. The caveat is they all seem to be retiring slower speeds and bumping up monthly pricing once the intro contract discount expires.

With AT&T, they give you "$20 off/month" for new customers in the first year, then it goes up and they don't let you get another offer, unless you start disconnecting services and decide to deal with their "retention department". It is a similar story with Comcast/Xfinity and many of the other big ISPs out there. For example, I can now save $20+ if I switch companies again, that's $240 for a year, the only downside being I have to deal with switching equipment, etc. Frankly I am sick and tired of those intro vs. regular prices, I don't want to be haggling and bargaining to get similar deals as new users when I am a long-term customer.

Yes, I try to avoide dealing with them whenever possible. Many times it's just a smoke and mirrors sales pitch. I'll usually call up and say something like "Why are you offering new customers $20 less than what I'm paying now!, I've been a long term customer who pays his bills on time, what are you going to do for me?" After about 20 minutes of listening to a bunch of crap they usually end up giving me the "intro" deal. But they always tell me that it's only for 1 year and then will go back up. I just keep calling them each year. Regardless, I got a really nice bump and didn't have to do anything about it.

Blog Entries
    It's always nice to get a bump in speed... Do you remember when we were happy to get what they called "broadband" back then at all, downloading at over 1Mbps was so exciting, wow Just trying to keep things into perspective heeh.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Trust me, I think about it every time I do a speed test. I can remember being jealous of all the members posting download speeds of 10 and 20 mb/s and I could only imagine what that would have been like while I tooled away at 3 and 5 mb/s.

I'm sure there are households that may need these faster speeds but to be honest, other than large files downloads, even with the TV and iPad streaming shows I never see my connection even start to stretch it's legs.