Thread: Getting a new car

Question Getting a new car

The wife has been wanting a "little" SUV and we've come to a point where I'm finally looking at what's out there and how much.

She's pretty much set on a Honda CR-V. But here's my question, I'm not sure if we should get a gasoline only or Hybrid model. My first thought is that here in California we might eventually see surcharges for registration and licensing if your car does not meet certain requirements or mileage standards. I can also imagine higher gas prices as a way to nudge people away from a gasoline only powered vehicle. The way things are going I get the impression that in about 10 years the only thing you're going to be able to buy is a Hybrid. Since we usually keep our cars for at least 10 years I'm not sure if a gasoline only model would be the best choice?

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    I've had a couple of Honda CR-Vs and they're great for family travel, plenty of room and cargo space. I like them better than Toyota Rav4 and other smallish SUVs, the CRVs are very spacious inside. One of our current cars is a 2014 Honda CR-V. The engines just keep on going, very reliable cars overall. That said they're a bit underpowered at highway speeds, and you can't use them to tow much (I did tow a 750 lbs bike on an open trailer a couple of times on the highway, and it handled it ok though). Earlier years had higher road clearance and were ok even for some off-road driving, newer SUVs tend to be lower on the road roomier and more van-like targeting regular on-road driving. At highway speeds the cabin would be a bit noisier than premium cars, but in tune for its class.

The 4-cylinder engine sips gas so you will get very good mileage. In my opinion the hybrid version is not any better. It adds weight with the electric motor, the system becomes more complex, more expensive to buy and maintain over the years. I'd save my money now and if you want you can buy next car a couple of years early with those savings (even though with the reliability you don't have to).

I've had both the AWD and 2-wheel drive models... AWD is good for a bit more grip on mountain roads, snow, dirt, rain, etc. The rear differential is a bit small, it only kicks in when needed, but shaves off about 2mpg from the mileage, and needs its gear oil changed every 30-40k miles.

As for times changing you are right, but you can always go all electric. Even if Cali imposes taxes on gas cars, they'd start with the gas-guzzlers, 8/6-cyl engines, and newly sold cars, so you'd likely be grandfathered in.

Just my thoughts.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

We're definitely sticking with Honda. Our 2014 Accord is awesome and I'm pretty much sold on their cars. Being old school I'm sure I'll probably just go straight internal combustion.