Thread: Multi-tools

Multi-tools

Do you see yours?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...ew-multitools/

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...est-multi-tool

Any recommendations? Looking for a new one but a bit out of the loop.

Blog Entries
    I have a Dewalt multi-tool I got as a present, but I don't use it much. I always found them a bit clunky and preferred separate basic tools, i.e. screwdriver, pliers, knife and don't really have use for the awkward scissors and such. Still if I would buy one, I imagine they have sleeker models.

Like Philip said "I always found them a bit clunky". I couldn't agree more. When you go to buy one make sure you pick one that just handles the basics. For example, you don't need a scissors when you have a knife blade. The more obtrusive it is the less you'll be inclined to carry it with you. Again, you just need the basics. I view them as something to be used in a quick fix situation and not for everyday repairs. I just want' something where I can grip, cut of mend until I can limp home.

With that said, I own 2. One is an SOG (not sure of the model) but it only has a smooth and serrated blade, Phillips and flathead screwdriver and obviously the pliers. My 2nd pair is an off-brand set that also has some bits that are located in the sleeve of the sheath. This one covers a lot of ground and includes the bits, a wire stripper, file etc. It's a little bulky to carry on your belt but it does have a permanent home in my Day Pack which follows me around frequently.

Always have my Benchmade Griptilian.

Not looking to carry the multi-tool, more of a car thing (wherever it is, I am.) or man bag.

I keep my Halo Bolt with me and just jumped an employee's car yesterday. Those things are awesome, took 45 seconds.

Probably 20 jumps in the past 2 years, worked every time.

And I can charge my phone, grind coffee, or run a fan off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I keep my Halo Bolt with me and just jumped an employee's car yesterday. Those things are awesome, took 45 seconds. Probably 20 jumps in the past 2 years, worked every time.

And I can charge my phone, grind coffee, or run a fan off of it.
    Although I also have a battery backup phone charger (4 charges capacity) I have thought about adding something like that Halo Bolt to my emergency bag. We actually give the smaller battery backup units as Christmas presents and people seem to love them. They're like a fire extinguisher, you might never need it but when you do you'll be thanking us and have a smile on your face.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I have a Gerber, and a Leatherman...I think the Wave model.

Not so much for daily use, or even monthly or yearly use....but "just in case". One on the boat, one in the truck. Although, yeah, tool bags in both too. Just..."just in case".
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have a Gerber, Leatherman and a Swiss Forge. All were given to me for either safety awards or that Swiss Forge by my company on retirement along with a fancy watch of course. I carried the leatherman with me when I was working along with an Uncle Henry stockman knife I had for 40 years. Now that I"m retired I don't need them much. Sometimes I toss the knife in my pocket when I go out but rarely.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Good to see you guys.

Boiled down, does anyone have a multi-tool they would recommend?

I don't think you can go wrong with either SOG or Leatherman. Each has multiple configurations at various price points. With SOG is seems like they have more blade replacement options than Leatherman. I could be wrong about that but SOG does advertise more separate blades on their site. Being able to replace/remove blades that you don't want or find you don't need is a big plus. For instance, although almost all come a smooth and serrated knife blade I always find myself deferring to the serrated blade. The smooth blade is sometimes relegated to finger nail cleaning.