Thread: Richard Branson goes to space

Blog Entries

Richard Branson goes to space

Richard Branson beat Jeff Bezos to space it seems, at least by a few days and for a few minutes, heh. I watched the altimeter on the rocket-plane, seemed to top off around 288K feet, over 50 miles high.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/11/10145...race-lifts-off
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah cool stuff, been following it. I think it's really cool what Branson did, he's had the dream of going into space since he was a kid. He built an empire (in the airline industry) that could give him the resources needed to make that dream come true.

On social media, it's sad to see some of the meme's flying around out there..that he's spending all this money on his space travel but not ending hunger on our planet. //rolls eyes
    If only people knew how much Branson does give to charity, he supports many many charities, donates a lot of money all the time esp to charities that focus on kids, kids health, kids medical, kids education. He recently dedicated 3 BILLION dollars over the next 10 years to a project for researching climate change.

Personally I think it's exciting time again for our world. Yes we've sent men (and women) to space before, but now we're in an era that it's being privatized. Which will really bring in more knowledge, development, technology...and start taking steps to making this a more common thing.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I like stars.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    I like my stars brown.
    We get it, enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    He recently dedicated 3 BILLION dollars over the next 10 years to a project for researching climate change.

Personally I think it's exciting time again for our world. Yes we've sent men (and women) to space before, but now we're in an era that it's being privatized. Which will really bring in more knowledge, development, technology...and start taking steps to making this a more common thing.
    Regretfully I don't share in your pessimism, he may have donated money to research climate change, well guess what causes climate change?? Maybe Rocket Fuel being dispersed in metric tons with thousands of parts per million might have something to do with it!

People itching to get into space and then go where... the current oxidizing atmosphere of Mars is of course Methane but this is where the likes of Musk, Bezos and Branson would like to go..

Recently Musk said he was hoping to send 400 people, however once science factors in a few variables, like Covid, Distance, Required breathable atmosphere for the crew and food for the total two year Journey, because lets face it we're scared to go fast in space.

Then the remaining room wont be for 400 people, but more like 4.

An when they get there what do they plan to do to come back, suck up the methane and add hydro-carbons to Mars?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by g0qu2021 View Post
    Regretfully I don't share in your pessimism
    I didn't have any "pessimism" to share....it was "optimism".
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The money spent by him and Bezo's was nuts.. on top of that neither actually got to "space" where you're total weightless. What weightlessness they had was on the turn around loop.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    The money spent by him and Bezo's was nuts.. on top of that neither actually got to "space" where you're total weightless. What weightlessness they had was on the turn around loop.
    Damn!

The money they spent could have paid for the computer I dream about owning.

Gotta admit, they have balls.

State of the art computers are better than balls though.